Christian Ramirez

3 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

You'd be wrong then

That phrase relates to people who are on the low side of the  intelligence scale.

Mental illness has no correlation with sub-normal intelligence levels. 

Anyway...I've honestly no idea if  Goodwin was lying or not. But what I do think is that if Ramirez can get himself hooked up with a club back in the USA, we won't be difficult to deal with. Might even let him walk for free. But if he hasn't got himself sorted out with a new side in the next 3-4 weeks, he'll be back for pre-season training. At his stage of career, sitting on his arse waiting for a club to show an interest just isn't an option. He needs to be playing regularly (and well) to get a potential new club interested.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he was referring to Ramirez

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, styrofoamplates said:

You're right. I can only presume he's a massive racist too. Better add that to the list. 

Or he realised that Jet was a lazy cunt who didn't give a shit and was only too happy to get out the door and play beach paddle tennis with Anthony Joshua. Probably sucked each other off afterwards too. 

Thats a stretch, even i wouldn't presume that ?

It's also however a stretch to suggest that Goodwin was protecting Ramirez' mental health by not letting on he was leaving the club.

But hey i get it, he can do no wrong.

10 minutes ago, styrofoamplates said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think he was referring to Ramirez

My guess is he was referring to anyone who genuinely believes Goodwin lied about the Ramirez situation to protect his mental health. They are clearly on the low side of the intelligence scale.

20 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

You'd be wrong then

That phrase relates to people who are on the low side of the  intelligence scale.

Mental illness has no correlation with sub-normal intelligence levels. 

Anyway...I've honestly no idea if  Goodwin was lying or not. But what I do think is that if Ramirez can get himself hooked up with a club back in the USA, we won't be difficult to deal with. Might even let him walk for free. But if he hasn't got himself sorted out with a new side in the next 3-4 weeks, he'll be back for pre-season training. At his stage of career, sitting on his arse waiting for a club to show an interest just isn't an option. He needs to be playing regularly (and well) to get a potential new club interested.

I suspect that you may wish to go back and see what I was referring to before coming across all mighty and knowledgeable. 

• Haha 2
36 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

He's not cared about protecting the mental health of any of the other players that he let go though has he. He didn't care about Jet's mental health when he made the clear dig at him about being unfit and then ripped up his contract with games still left to play?

He could have just said 'i've had a discussion with Christian and his family haven't settled in Scotland which is unfortunate, we have come to a mutually agreeable solution which will see him return to America to look for a new club. We thank him for his time at the club and the goals he has scored and wish him all the best for the future'.. simple, what would have been the issues with something like that?

I mean we know that's the kind of statement that is likely to come out in the next week or 2, so why not just do it at the time. It seems him and his family have had plenty of abuse on social media from so called dons fans anyway, so i'm sure a little more wouldn't have bothered him while he was sunning it up on the beach in Mexico with his wife and kids.

This is all hypothetical but those are very different situations.

JET only has himself to blame for not meeting the basic minimum requirement of keeping himself fit enough to play. There's no need for Goodwin to waste time with that.

Ramirez was presumably very unhappy with life in Aberdeen and missing his family. Homesick if you like. He wasn't 2 stone overweight and utterly useless. I read somewhere he played over 50 games last season as he came to us straight out of the MLS season, so the suggestion of fatigue makes some sense tbh.

I can't help feeling the only reason anyone is debating this is to create or find another stick with which to beat Goodwin. The guy is dealing with a piss poor squad that was poorly prepared to last the season but he can't win either way if he get the problems players out of the door quickly (JET) or quietly (Ramirez).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Helmet said:

JET only has himself to blame for not meeting the basic minimum requirement of keeping himself fit enough to play. There's no need for Goodwin to waste time with that.

Ramirez was presumably very unhappy with life in Aberdeen and missing his family. Homesick if you like. He wasn't 2 stone overweight and utterly useless. I read somewhere he played over 50 games last season as he came to us straight out of the MLS season, so the suggestion of fatigue makes some sense tbh.

I can't help feeling the only reason anyone is debating this is to create or find another stick with which to beat Goodwin. The guy is dealing with a piss poor squad that was poorly prepared to last the season but he can't win either way if he get the problems players out of the door quickly (JET) or quietly (Ramirez).

A very good summary.

6 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Sorry, missing his family? His wife and kids headed home about a week before him and we had less than a week of the season left. The fatigue bit i could understand, he had been hung out to dry as a lone striker all season and as you said came to us straight out of the MLS season.

Genuinely if he'd not settled here and he wanted to go back to the US, thats fine. I doubt anyone would have been too fussed. Just don't see why it would have been an issue to just be honest about it.

Anyway we will see what happens.

7 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Sorry, missing his family? His wife and kids headed home about a week before him and we had less than a week of the season left. The fatigue bit i could understand, he had been hung out to dry as a lone striker all season and as you said came to us straight out of the MLS season.

Genuinely if he'd not settled here and he wanted to go back to the US, thats fine. I doubt anyone would have been too fussed. Just don't see why it would have been an issue to just be honest about it.

I dunno. Based on this thread, maybe the club did think some of our weirder and more insecure fans would get very fussed by the truth and spend a lot of time reading all sorts daft things into it.

It's pointless speculating or getting pissed off about something so unimportant.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Fatigue my arse. He was a bench warmer before us and when he was with us he was a lazy cunt. If he was fatigued after putting in about 20-30% every game then he's worse than JET

On 6/8/2022 at 2:13 PM, Ke1t said:

I would definitely agree that what you described is a crock of shit. 

American athletes, for the most part, build their careers on solid professionalism and hard work, rather than the wishful thinking 'Vision Board' thing you just described. 

The Olympics are a fairly decent metric for that... 

I believe I am correct in saying that ‘soccer’ is the ONLY ‘now popular’ sport in America that they can play a game out to end in a draw. No other sports there is this concept ‘accepted’

American sports fans still balk at the whole concept of playing a full competitive game only for it to finish in stalemate. 

They believe in winners/losers & no prizes for losers. This is one of the main reasons ‘soccer’ has taken so long to ‘sell’ to the American public. If the stalemate concept was done away with in ‘soccer’ then the sport would have had a far more rapid rise in the US

10 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I believe I am correct in saying that ‘soccer’ is the ONLY ‘now popular’ sport in America that they can play a game out to end in a draw. No other sports there is this concept ‘accepted’

American sports fans still balk at the whole concept of playing a full competitive game only for it to finish in stalemate. 

They believe in winners/losers & no prizes for losers. This is one of the main reasons ‘soccer’ has taken so long to ‘sell’ to the American public. If the stalemate concept was done away with in ‘soccer’ then the sport would have had a far more rapid rise in the US

NFL games go to overtime if they finish level at the end of the 4th quarter. But if no one scores in the 10 minutes overtime, the game is drawn

My son played football (soccer to them) at university in the USA for 4 years. Even at university level the football is very competitive. Plenty of non-USA players in his team and in all the opposing universities, and the US players were every bit as competitive as the overseas players. Any games tied after 90 minutes, there are two 10 minute ‘overtime’ periods for teams to score a “golden” goal to win the match. In the 4 seasons when he was over there, his team played 68 regular season matches and only 6 ended in draws. For regional and then national championships, all matches are played to a finish, so the match goes to penalties if the game is tied after 90 minutes , plus the two periods of overtime.

university football is massive in the USA. The problem is post-university, there’s no consistent national framework at amateur, semi-pro and lower level pro. Which is similar to other sports in the USA. I think the reasons why pro football hasn’t taken off in the USA is a) lack of history and b) relatively low scoring compared to other sports.

Interesting that in the current FIFA rankings (I know they’re not a perfect indicator, but even so), USA are ranked 15th in the world whilst Scotland are ranked 39th.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

NFL games go to overtime if they finish level at the end of the 4th quarter. But if no one scores in the 10 minutes overtime, the game is drawn

Basketball, baseball and ice hockey also have overtime. In all 3 sports, games cannot end in a tie and it’s possible to have multiple overtimes until the match winner is decided

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Only since 1972. Before that, tied games didn’t count in the standings & even now (in post season games) play offs etc. they are all played to a win. 
but yes, regular games can be left as a ‘half win/half lose’ lol ‘a drawn’ game after overtime but at least after the regular period even now. They play an overtime period to ‘try’ to avoid a draw

Yanks always have been & always will be, all about the bragging rights. Other countries find this offensive in some ways & even ‘un sportsmanlike’ lol but that stems mostly from the typical ‘English’ type mentality. It’s just not cricket lol

Yanks play sports as it should be played imo. Yes a lot of their sports a dull & boring but they don’t want a mentality of rewarding ‘also rans’ & hate the concept of a draw. 

Arguably since the ‘drawn’ war in ‘NAM’ which was actually a massive loss in reality ? did the concept of a ‘tie’ enter their thoughts ‘grudgingly’ ?

5 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

a lot of their sports a dull & boring but they don’t want a mentality of rewarding ‘also rans’ & hate the concept of a draw. 

Then why can a team as low as 8th in their regional division at the end of the league season still have an opportunity to win the overall national title through the play off system? 

That is the classic example of rewarding mediocrity. 

9 hours ago, Itsagoal said:

My son played football (soccer to them) at university in the USA for 4 years. Even at university level the football is very competitive. Plenty of non-USA players in his team and in all the opposing universities, and the US players were every bit as competitive as the overseas players. Any games tied after 90 minutes, there are two 10 minute ‘overtime’ periods for teams to score a “golden” goal to win the match. In the 4 seasons when he was over there, his team played 68 regular season matches and only 6 ended in draws. For regional and then national championships, all matches are played to a finish, so the match goes to penalties if the game is tied after 90 minutes , plus the two periods of overtime.

university football is massive in the USA. The problem is post-university, there’s no consistent national framework at amateur, semi-pro and lower level pro. Which is similar to other sports in the USA. I think the reasons why pro football hasn’t taken off in the USA is a) lack of history and b) relatively low scoring compared to other sports.

Interesting that in the current FIFA rankings (I know they’re not a perfect indicator, but even so), USA are ranked 15th in the world whilst Scotland are ranked 39th.

So why did Ramirez come out and say after drawing at Pittodrie he came into the dressing room and was shocked at how angry people were about it?

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Then why can a team as low as 8th in their regional division at the end of the league season still have an opportunity to win the overall national title through the play off system? 

Is this any different than qualification for champions league etc. fifth place in certain leagues and teams automatically qualify for group stages whilst teams from other leagues have to play numerous knock out games to get the same stage. At least with the play off system in the USA it’s straight knock out, although teams with the worst records to have to have an extra knock out game to play.

32 teams will play in the World Cuo Finals in Qatar. In 1982, only 16 teams qualified for the World Cup. Is this expansion not also rewarding mediocrity? The same applies to the expansion of the European Championship.

11 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

We all love to slag them off but there's a lot we could learn from American sports imo.

I think the NFL formats actually really effective and there's at proper attempt at ensuring some competition unlike our league that well set up for 2 huge clubs suffocate the the rest for decades on end.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Itsagoal said:

Is this any different than qualification for champions league etc. fifth place in certain leagues and teams automatically qualify for group stages whilst teams from other leagues have to play numerous knock out games to get the same stage. At least with the play off system in the USA it’s straight knock out, although teams with the worst records to have to have an extra knock out game to play.

32 teams will play in the World Cuo Finals in Qatar. In 1982, only 16 teams qualified for the World Cup. Is this expansion not also rewarding mediocrity? The same applies to the expansion of the European Championship.

It's totally different. It would be like St Mirren finishing 8th and winning a few knock out games to win the Scottish premiership 

4 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Because it’s like the Scottish cup where everyone gets the chance to compete at the national level 

26 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's totally different. It would be like St Mirren finishing 8th and winning a few knock out games to win the Scottish premiership 

It gets my vote if it lessens the chances of the Tims and Huns being guaranteed of winning the SPFL before the season starts. ?

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Nope 

There's also a national cup competition called the MLS leagues Cup 

But you are asking why regional teams cannot compete in national competition 

You then compared it to st Mirren finishing 8th in league then winning a few more games to win the league when it is nothing like that as our league is not regionalised 

8 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

But you are asking why regional teams cannot compete in national competition 

You then compared it to st Mirren finishing 8th in league then winning a few more games to win the league when it is nothing like that as our league is not regionalised 

No I'm not. 

I'm saying the 8th highest team in the MLS after the regular league season can still win the national title. 

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No I'm not. 

I'm saying the 8th highest team in the MLS after the regular league season can still win the national title. 

I thought you were speaking about NFL though.

I said already that ‘soccer’ is the only sport that still mostly falls ‘out with’ their main kind of sporting mindset of ‘always play to win’ & that is one of main reasons the sport has been such a damp squeeb to the American sporting public for so long 

you also did compare their regional/national competition to similar to st Mirren finishing 8th in national league then winning same national league so a poor comparison in general on that count