Breidablik 2 - 3 Aberdeen

1 hour ago, Sydney_Red said:

Yet again, ojo was solid, but gets slated. Yes it is frustrating that he hasn’t made a bit more of his chances, but he fits right in and adds a heap of value.

Was he solid though? Scott Brown is solid. Average is a better word for Ojo. 

Some nice movement and closing down, aye. But don't know if it's poor decision making or poor touch but you know he's never going to do anything spectacular.

• Upvote 1

Funso Ojo was certain his time was up under Stephen Glass at Aberdeen when Scott Brown inherited his shirt number.

And he's revealed the Dons were even prepared to pay off the rest of his contract before a startling turnaround in fortunes.

Ojo, in an interview in his homeland, revealed no one has been more shocked at the turnaround in fortunes than him.

He said: "In the week before the start of pre-season, I had an uncomfortable telephone conversation with the manager who told me my shirt number had gone to Scott Brown and on that basis, he judged I was superfluous.

"And although I was professional and worked hard, there were no signs at all that I could make him change his mind.

"An offer came from Salford City, but I didn't want to go there myself. The club didn't let me train for a few days to make sure I wouldn't get injured and not jeopardise the deal, but I made it clear that I wouldn't go there anyway. Wrexham made me an offer too, but I am too ambitious for that.

"Did the manager say that at the start of the season as I way to motivate me? Not at all, because the club even made me an offer to pay out part of my contract and split up. But I refused that too.

"There were two matches scheduled for the same day. The manager called me in and I was sure it was to repeat that I was out. But instead, he said: 'I have to win games and I have the best chance of that with you on the squad. You play.'

"I had no idea where that came from! It's part of football I guess and you won't hear me complaining about it.

"The manager had an opinion and I proved him wrong. I've started the games and I've just been told I can't leave now!"

And Ojo is convinced Aberdeen can challenge Celtic this season, although he accepts Rangers should easily retain their title.

He said: "In the league, every year we try to fight for third place behind Rangers and Celtic, but there is a feeling this year that second place can be earned.

Rangers are playing at a level that transcends Scottish football, but Celtic are not and many teams hope to benefit from it.

"I just hope to play as much as possible. I'm in the last year of my contract and performing well means I will undoubtedly have new options as a free agent at the end of the season.

"Who knows, maybe it will return to Belgium. But first I'm going to work hard to bring this season to a good end. It's unexpected, but it wouldn't be the first time that an unwanted player turns out to be a mainstay.”

12 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Funso Ojo was certain his time was up under Stephen Glass at Aberdeen when Scott Brown inherited his shirt number.

And he's revealed the Dons were even prepared to pay off the rest of his contract before a startling turnaround in fortunes.

Ojo, in an interview in his homeland, revealed no one has been more shocked at the turnaround in fortunes than him.

He said: "In the week before the start of pre-season, I had an uncomfortable telephone conversation with the manager who told me my shirt number had gone to Scott Brown and on that basis, he judged I was superfluous.

"And although I was professional and worked hard, there were no signs at all that I could make him change his mind.

"An offer came from Salford City, but I didn't want to go there myself. The club didn't let me train for a few days to make sure I wouldn't get injured and not jeopardise the deal, but I made it clear that I wouldn't go there anyway. Wrexham made me an offer too, but I am too ambitious for that.

"Did the manager say that at the start of the season as I way to motivate me? Not at all, because the club even made me an offer to pay out part of my contract and split up. But I refused that too.

"There were two matches scheduled for the same day. The manager called me in and I was sure it was to repeat that I was out. But instead, he said: 'I have to win games and I have the best chance of that with you on the squad. You play.'

"I had no idea where that came from! It's part of football I guess and you won't hear me complaining about it.

"The manager had an opinion and I proved him wrong. I've started the games and I've just been told I can't leave now!"

And Ojo is convinced Aberdeen can challenge Celtic this season, although he accepts Rangers should easily retain their title.

He said: "In the league, every year we try to fight for third place behind Rangers and Celtic, but there is a feeling this year that second place can be earned.

Rangers are playing at a level that transcends Scottish football, but Celtic are not and many teams hope to benefit from it.

"I just hope to play as much as possible. I'm in the last year of my contract and performing well means I will undoubtedly have new options as a free agent at the end of the season.

"Who knows, maybe it will return to Belgium. But first I'm going to work hard to bring this season to a good end. It's unexpected, but it wouldn't be the first time that an unwanted player turns out to be a mainstay.”

Get him to fuck

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, 1983 said:

Óskar Hrafn Þorvaldsson, manager of the men's team of Breiðablik, was not impressed with the Scottish team Aberdeen after the teams' game in the European Football League tonight. Aberdeen eventually won 3:2.

Aberdeen started strong and got to 2:0 early in the game but Breiðablik refused to give up and equalized to 2:2. Aberdeen, however, scored the winning goal at the start of the second half. Despite that, Óskar did not like the playing style of the guests from Scotland.

"Apart from the first six minutes, I thought we were much better throughout the game. We are going to Aberdeen, getting a two-goal win and eliminating these guys," said a bold Óskar in an interview with Stöð 2 Sport after the game.

"I didn't expect them to be so bad. I thought they would try to play football. They made no attempt to do so, which surprised me. They are physically strong, quick and powerful in the air," Óskar added.

Jeez, I presume this is a wind up, or does Oskar has a sideline in stand up comedy?

I understand he feels they are still in with a chance (they are) but a bit of humility would be in order, after losing 3 goals at home and luckily benefiting from a defensive fuck up and a soft penalty (having created nothing themselves).

Arrogant cunt, I hope we bury them now.

32 minutes ago, wicker83 said:

Some nice movement and closing down, aye. But don't know if it's poor decision making or poor touch but you know he's never going to do anything spectacular.

Its true he is not going to be one of the most prominent players, whom the squad is built around.

But he is a reliable squad player, which you need, and a lot better than many of the chancers, duffers, journeymen and carpet-baggers we have had over the years.

1 hour ago, wicker83 said:

Ojo was solid. Find another adjective for Brown please; he was way better than solid.  I’d pick Ojo again no bother at all.

2 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

If Ojo is now an attacking midfielder then he needs to stop the brain fog when he gets into the final 1/3rd of the field.

I think we can all agree on that. But let’s acknowledge he’s there to do much more than that, and he’s doing a lot of it consistently well (if unspectacularly)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Interesting to see that Glass told Ojo he wasn't wanted earlier in the summer, and his shirt number was being given to Scott Brown and that he wasnt part of the plans going forward and basically told to leave. Ojo turned down moves to Salford and to Wrexham as he wants to play at higher level and then we even offered him a pay off to leave but Ojo still said no.

He then played the two 45 minute games against Caley and the youth team and Glass seems to have completely changed his mind on him and he has been told that he definitely wont be allowed to leave now.

All a bit weird. I wonder if it tied in with us missing out on a transfer target and there was an element of feck it we'll just go with Ojo until January.

I'm not fully convinced on the 'training like a man possessed' story

5 hours ago, 1983 said:

Óskar Hrafn Þorvaldsson, manager of the men's team of Breiðablik, was not impressed with the Scottish team Aberdeen after the teams' game in the European Football League tonight. Aberdeen eventually won 3:2.

Aberdeen started strong and got to 2:0 early in the game but Breiðablik refused to give up and equalized to 2:2. Aberdeen, however, scored the winning goal at the start of the second half. Despite that, Óskar did not like the playing style of the guests from Scotland.

"Apart from the first six minutes, I thought we were much better throughout the game. We are going to Aberdeen, getting a two-goal win and eliminating these guys," said a bold Óskar in an interview with Stöð 2 Sport after the game.

"I didn't expect them to be so bad. I thought they would try to play football. They made no attempt to do so, which surprised me. They are physically strong, quick and powerful in the air," Óskar added.

:spanner:

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

Haha. 

That canna be real. 

Aye, surely to fuck no.

4 hours ago, Sydney_Red said:

Yet again, ojo was solid, but gets slated. Yes it is frustrating that he hasn’t made a bit more of his chances, but he fits right in and adds a heap of value.

Aye Funso, fitiver min. 

:clangers2:

1 minute ago, StandFree1982 said:

What is it with foreign managers spouting shite? 

Gronigen - "80% job done"

Hacken - "5-1 down, still got a good chance"

This bell end - "Didn't expect Aberdeen to be so poor"

Has he watched us at all in the last few years? We could be bloody terrible 

For me they were a level below Hacken, possibly a good few levels.  Maybe he's supplied with some decent drugs in Reykjavik... 

As for the physical part, deary me. Their number 4 especially was a right dirty bastard (and absolutely shite at Fitba). Twice in the first half he got away with a late challenge on Ramirez.  Eventually booked in the 2nd half for another shocker of a challenge on Ojo 

3 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

Another player I reckon needs built up again after being dismantled by McInnesball.

Still not convinced by him myself, but his touch and cross for Ramirez second yesterday was great.

I'm not convinced he'll ever find the consistency to make it... his control and pass for the goal was great, but it didn't require much thinking - I think it was a few minutes later he had a good opportunity and tripped over the ball like he seems to do more often than any other professional player in history. He may be a useful cheap option to have on the bench to bring on ocassionally but he's never going to become a regular starter.

4 hours ago, Joe pike said:

If Ojo is now an attacking midfielder then he needs to stop the brain fog when he gets into the final 1/3rd of the field.

Ojo has done okay - nothing better, nothing worse, just okay. I don't get folk who are saying he's perfectly suited to the role Glass is asking him to play... for a start the role he's playing means he's going to find himself in the opposition box fairly frequently with opportunities to create or score - he's bloomin useless at both of those things, as seen in the opening 4 games of the season.

I think when Hayes and Hedges are both fit I'd be playing them alongside Brown and Ferguson in midfield. Hayes can do pretty much the same as Ojo but is more of a danger going forward, as seen by his goal against Utd. Hayes has just as much energy, more pace, more aggression etc. He's hopeless at crossing at shooting at times too, but at least he doesn't wet his pants when he gets near the penalty box.

While we're winning games it doesn't matter too much that Ojo is wasting opportunities every game... but when we get to tighter games and his missed chances are the difference between drawing and losing, or winning and drawing, then folk will realise that he's not actually cut out for the position he's playing in.

• Upvote 1