Ryan hedges , stay or go

Glass totally body swerved questions about Hedges in his pre match press conference in a manner the latter would be proud of, but it was clear in his response to questions regarding interest from Blackburn and Boro that it’s not rumours, it’s fact,  so I guess it’s just a matter of time before he leaves.

This was inevitable after last season. He's been good for us and us for him but I don't think there's any deep lying loyalty there. I'd be wanting a million for him. 

He should be replaceable but I often find that players like him are quite difficult to find. Yes he's one footed but it's that turn of pace and ability to skip past players in the final third (in a similar way to Wright) that can be quite sparse in the market we will be in. I would take McGrath but I don't think they are similar. 

41 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

McGrath is a potential replacement for Ferguson. He’s nae the same style to replace Hedges

McGrath isn’t really the same type as Ferguson either though. Fergie is an all round midfielder, good at the defensive & attacking side. Box to box. 
McGrath is purely an attacking midfielder. 
By all accounts he’s headed for England anyway. 

I think Hedges will be very difficult to replace. He's probably the best attacking player in the league outwith the Old Firm. He has pace and the ability to glide past multiple players, carry the ball up the park, create and score. He's entertaining to watch as well. 

Our team is bereft of pace as it is. The alternatives at the club are McGinn (may still have a contribution to make as a bit part player, but pretty much past it), McLennan (nowhere near Hedges level), Kennedy (rank rotten). 

We already need a striker, attacking midfielder / winger, defender. If Hedges goes that's 2 attacking midfielders / wingers I'd say. We need to get rid of guys like Kennedy as we don't want to have to fall back on them.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

I think Hedges will be very difficult to replace. He's probably the best attacking player in the league outwith the Old Firm. He has pace and the ability to glide past multiple players, carry the ball up the park, create and score. He's entertaining to watch as well. 

Our team is bereft of pace as it is. The alternatives at the club are McGinn (may still have a contribution to make as a bit part player, but pretty much past it), McLennan (nowhere near Hedges level), Kennedy (rank rotten). 

We already need a striker, attacking midfielder / winger, defender. If Hedges goes that's 2 attacking midfielders / wingers I'd say. We need to get rid of guys like Kennedy as we don't want to have to fall back on them.

spot on 

Here’s another theory….Hedges has told the club he wants to get back nearer home and the club have reluctantly agreed to let him go now if a reasonable transfer fee can be arranged with a club. 
A player on his day who can cause the opposition a lot of trouble but he has only really showed this a bit more consistently last season. 
I would like to have kept him to see if he would improve under Glass etc but if he moves on so be it. We are needing changes, players will be moving on if we like it or not.

4 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Think he is a good player... what I find amusing about him is, no defender has worked him out given he is the most one footed player the world has ever seen.

Without him we are weak as fuck however.

600k - well, sell him (through gritted teeth). But he isn't going to sign a new contract next year is he? 

That sounds about right to me. Looks like Blackburn will sell some lad for over £10m this month so maybe they will have some dosh for a wee £600k or £700k. If it helps us build the squad for long term (eg the replacement comes in on 3 yr deal) then its sensible to go for it.

Would prefer a deal could be struck for a new contract and build in a release clause and percentage to the player. 

Could be way off here but I think his agent is stirring it here; created so called interest in an effort to get us to up our offer. It’s clear we’ve been speaking to the player and his agent since probably the start of the year, regarding a contract extension, with no agreement come to yet.

My view is that the eventuality will be, Hedges will sign a 12 or 24 month contract extension with us, with a transfer release fee inserted, sometime like £1m

3 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Could be way off here but I think his agent is stirring it here; created so called interest in an effort to get us to up our offer. It’s clear we’ve been speaking to the player and his agent since probably the start of the year, regarding a contract extension, with no agreement come to yet.

My view is that the eventuality will be, Hedges will sign a 12 or 24 month contract extension with us, with a transfer release fee inserted, sometime like £1m

If that works out I would buy  you a pint ? 

On 8/4/2021 at 6:40 PM, Bournemouth Gee said:

Maybe when we get past the Iceland lot perspectives might change a bit

Was thinking the same.

Players won't be (potentially) getting European football till Christmas by going to Watford, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, etc. 

Ferguson (especially) young enough to maybe want that now realising that it might never happen again in his career if he heads South.

7 minutes ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

Was thinking the same.

Players won't be (potentially) getting European football till Christmas by going to Watford, Blackburn, Middlesborough, etc. 

Ferguson (especially) young enough to maybe want that now realising that it might never happen again in his career if he heads South.

Ferguson signing for an EPL club (no matter how shite) would mean him earning £10k/week as an absolute minimum. I think that would take precedence in his mind over playing in Europe. Especially as he's still well young enough to play a few seasons down south then return to his roots and sign for sevco where he'd get plenty of European football.

And Hedges would earn at least double what we are paying him by signing for a mid table Championship side.