Ryan hedges , stay or go

3 hours ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

Of course, however, Europe can also be a stage for putting one's self in the shop window toward potentially more suitors and potentially even more money.  

The 2nd leg of the play off round is the 26th.

Assuming we get through, it gives the club & players 5 days to sort out transfers depending on how we get on.

We might find there’s hee haw up until then, then busy for a few days after with in & outs. 

14 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Assuming we get through, it gives the club & players 5 days to sort out transfers depending on how we get on.

We might find there’s hee haw up until then, then busy for a few days after with in & outs. 

Surely we cant afford to go in to a £4M+ match with only Ramirez and JET knowing injury/suspension/covid could leave us short.

21 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a possible January departure for Ferguson.

- we'd have him till New Year (if hopefully still involved in Europe)

- he could attract more interest

- AFC could potentially get more money

- Fergie's Dad would be happy ;)

I was hoping he would stay but if the bidding is at £500k with three weeks until the deadline, and if contract talks are not going well, then we probably sell him this month. Might get closer to £1M that I expected.

Of course there is only a point in selling him if it's gives us cash to invest that we think can give us a return e.g. signing the next Ferguson/McCrorie etc.

9 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I was hoping he would stay but if the bidding is at £500k with three weeks until the deadline, and if contract talks are not going well, then we probably sell him this month. Might get closer to £1M that I expected.

Of course there is only a point in selling him if it's gives us cash to invest that we think can give us a return e.g. signing the next Ferguson/McCrorie etc.

Would take 1m. I have a feeling we may have seen the best of him with Wright last season and may struggle to find that form again but just a hunch. Go after Boyce with that cash and give him a decision to make. Always felt like we would make a move at end of window for Boyce but not sure of interest he would have in coming home. Based on Boyce's form it would be a real surprise if English teams dont go in for him especially if 500k is the clause. 

6 minutes ago, slippers said:

Would take 1m. I have a feeling we may have seen the best of him with Wright last season and may struggle to find that form again but just a hunch. Go after Boyce with that cash and give him a decision to make. Always felt like we would make a move at end of window for Boyce but not sure of interest he would have in coming home. Based on Boyce's form it would be a real surprise if English teams dont go in for him especially if 500k is the clause. 

Boyce?

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Martin, presumably. 

ahhhh he means Boyle rather than Boyce. That makes more sense.

Scott Burns said a few weeks back that there was no chance of us getting Boyle and that that the clause was complex and a lot more complicated than has been reported. Purec speculation on my part but maybe the release clause specifies it has to be cross border and to a club playing at a certain level.  

We aren't getting £1m for him

Whoever it was that bidded £500k might come back with £600-700k  if they really want him but can't see anyone going beyond that with less than 10 months left on his contract. And as I've said before.......if he rejects our new contract offer then we should accept a bid of that size. He's a decent player but he's no world beater and is replaceable, especially with some cash in the bank

8 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

ahhhh he means Boyle rather than Boyce. That makes more sense.

Scott Burns said a few weeks back that there was no chance of us getting Boyle and that that the clause was complex and a lot more complicated than has been reported. Purec speculation on my part but maybe the release clause specifies it has to be cross border and to a club playing at a certain level.  

I doubt that. He did an interview in the Scotsman a couple of months back and said that even if a club matches the release fee, it would be by no means certain he'd be leaving Hibs. Said he's settled in the area and would take a lot to make him leave. Remember his missus plays for Hibs wifies. I suspect the logistics of that would make it difficult for us to persuade him to join us

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

I doubt that. He did an interview in the Scotsman a couple of months back and said that even if a club matches the release fee, it would be by no means certain he'd be leaving Hibs. Said he's settled in the area and would take a lot to make him leave. Remember his missus plays for Hibs wifies. I suspect the logistics of that would make it difficult for us to persuade him to join us

Sounds like you are agreeing with the assessment that there is no chance of us getting him so I presume you mean you doubt my guess that it might be the clause is only if he goes down south or abroad. Like I said it was just total speculation on my part as to why it was not a straightforward clause and more complex than has been reported.

I'm aware of contract clauses where its stated that it cant be activated by a direct rival so was just a wild guess.

8 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

We aren't getting £1m for him

Whoever it was that bidded £500k might come back with £600-700k  if they really want him but can't see anyone going beyond that with less than 10 months left on his contract. And as I've said before.......if he rejects our new contract offer then we should accept a bid of that size.

Looks like Dundee United are getting around a million for Shankland who has less than a year left on his contract. 

No reason why we shouldn't be asking the same for Hedges 

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Looks like Dundee United are getting around a million for Shankland who has less than a year left on his contract. 

No reason why we shouldn't be asking the same for Hedges 

£450k with potential add on's is what I read

We can ask but we won't get

Again offer Hedges a Jonny Hayes type agreement. He signs a new contract (with the reassurance of a minimum release clause in place) and we sell him for a greater fee than 500k. Personally I believe we should be looking for around 1 million.

Regarding Shankland, he's not worth anywhere near 1 million.

26 minutes ago, Postman Pats Cat said:

Agree shankland is not. It feels like his level is championship, not prem. Which is fine to be honest,  I would be happy to hit that level. But a 1 mill player he is not yet. The football World is mental though, you can't read it. Two players of the same ability can go for various millions apart. Lottery

Yet? He never will be.

He’s 26, he’s all the player he’s ever going to be.