Scott Brown So Far.

11 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I don't mind if our back 4 and 2 defensive midfielders (which seems to be the way pretty much every team sets up nowadays) are big, athletic, aggressive players to give us some backbone, even if they're a bit more limited ability wise - IF the other 4 outfield players are then released to concentrate on attacking, creating, entertaining and scoring. Undoubtedly they should also be fit and athletic (they are supposed to be professional athletes so that's a bare minimum you'd think) but they're the ones you really want to be able to play football. 

We can knock the ball about our own half and get 70% possession stats playing what is allegedly "good football" - but we've had that and it's just plain boring. 

I guess it's all about balance. Having 70% of possession that is up-tempo, creative, puts teams on back foot and creates chances/goals isn't boring. What Glass was doing was 70% possession where it was slow, in our own half and laborious.

Again, it's then having the balance under Goodwin - If we have a big back 4 and 2 sitters as you say, and they can are limited but do the basics it might be ok, however if we have a big back 4 where the 2 full backs are not creative at all (going against the modern game where full backs have massive attacking infuence), and the 2 sitters just "sit" and can't do much else, then we have a big lump up top like Ramirez, suddenly it only leaves us 3 players who can use the ball....very limiting and ends up probably being hoofball when fans want us to "get it forward". Going to be interesting to see how the squad looks after the summer window.

1 hour ago, DoonTheLine said:

Dynamic and mobile but still lost. A big concern for me under Goodwin is this is how we will be - a team that is fit and runs a lot but can't actually use the ball. Hopefully i'm wrong but his mantra seems to be "tough to beat" rather than "great to watch"

When Brown was the centre of a back 3 earlier in the season was when we got a couple of our best results all season.

We lost as we're paying the price of idiotic recruitment by Glass in the summer who believes a team can go a full season with one striker. We have no outlet in the final 3rd. 

Saturday I appreciate isn't the best example however the midfield for me was so much more dynamic, had more shape and energy without Brown. 

We lost to quote McInnes a sloppy goal. Other than that we restricted Sevco to scraps. You can focus on us having zero attempts on target or you can look at how despite them having greater possession and wave after wave of attacks in the second half we restricted them despite their domination to two shots on target. 

Under Glass that would have been a capitulation.

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

And if one of them gets injured? McCrorie does tend to miss a fair amount of each season on the physio's table (albeit in smallish chunks). Ok in comes a tidy but slow and not particularly mobile McGeouch. Or Ojo.... (if he's not filling in for someone else in another random position). Neither particularly appealing options.

However if two of them are out for whatever reason (Ferguson is no stranger to a ban, Barron body still developing, not really used to the intensity of first team football so a muscle injury is always the risk at that age).......then it's definitely both McGeouch and Ojo. And if the 3 games pre-split don't go well, then the folk sticking their heads in the sand will have to face reality. We would be in relegation bother. 

As I said....he's useful for emergency cover. If we release him immediately, you just know that the scenarios I've suggested will happen given the (bad) luck we have had with player injuries over the past 2 or 3 seasons

Juan Sebastian Veron was outstanding at Man Utd however Fergie got shot of him due to him being a disruptive manipulating influence in the dressing room.........

Goodwin looks like he's doing the right thing here if the rumours are true. I'm with the manager.

17 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Juan Sebastian Veron was outstanding at Man Utd however Fergie got shot of him due to him being a disruptive manipulating influence in the dressing room.........

Goodwin looks like he's doing the right thing here if the rumours are true. I'm with the manager.

Fairly certain, barring the odd game here and there, Veron is largely seen as a flop, given that he was the most expensive player in British football when he signed.

Agree with your second paragraph though.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

Fairly certain, barring the odd game here and there, Veron is largely seen as a flop, given that he was the most expensive player in British football when he signed.

He was one of the most talented players to hit our shores however tried to manipulate and undermine Fergie. He was punted due to that. 

17 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

And I’m sure someone speaking about Veron recently (as an example of a seemingly great signing not working out as hoped )  said that he was a model pro in his time at Man Yoo , but Fergie just couldn’t find a role/ position in the team for him without disrupting the balance of the existing, successful team.

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

We lost as we're paying the price of idiotic recruitment by Glass in the summer who believes a team can go a full season with one striker. We have no outlet in the final 3rd. 

Saturday I appreciate isn't the best example however the midfield for me was so much more dynamic, had more shape and energy without Brown. 

We lost to quote McInnes a sloppy goal. Other than that we restricted Sevco to scraps. You can focus on us having zero attempts on target or you can look at how despite them having greater possession and wave after wave of attacks in the second half we restricted them despite their domination to two shots on target. 

Under Glass that would have been a capitulation.

Glass wasn't in charge of all the recruitment. Just as Goodwin isn't either, he has to rely on the scouting network to find the right players who fit what Goodwin wants and Gunn to get them in the door. Throw in Dave probably wanting some of his recommendations/Atlanta players. Glass is of course culpable but the whole squad creation was not solely his fault.

You backed up my point though - we were tough to beat, but offered very little creatively. It's early days though so i'm not going to hammer the manager for that as he has to steady the ship. If it's the same in 12-18 months though and it's the grinding football we endured towards the end of McInnes, I can't see the fans taking to that i'm afraid.

Goodwin has certainly marked his territory here with Brown.

First he's told that he can keep his job title but his coaching opportunities will be limited

Then he's told that McCrorie is a future captain after he plays in Brown's role in the team.

Then he's told that Aberdeen players in the future will be able to run

Then he's hooked at Tynecastle (correctly) after a pretty lethargic performance.

He'd have to be blind not to get the message.

9 minutes ago, Poodler said:

I think that’s a load of shite ^^^

ditching someone of browns experience when we’re about to go into a relegation play off run in, imo, is foolish 

Not gonna get any desire from Ferg

I think we will get a little more out of him now that Brown has left he can fix that petted lip of his.

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

He was one of the most talented players to hit our shores however tried to manipulate and undermine Fergie. He was punted due to that. 

Nae arguing the boy was talented, he was a terrific player, but for a few reasons it didna work out at United.

Read recently due to playing a similar position to Roy Keane, he couldna play his usual game due to them both trying to play in the same areas of the pitch.With Keane being the main man there, Veron was forced to adapt his game, and Utd didn’t get the player he was in Italy.Shame cos he was a great player.

26 minutes ago, Poodler said:

I think that’s a load of shite ^^^

ditching someone of browns experience when we’re about to go into a relegation play off run in, imo, is foolish 

Not gonna get any desire from Ferg

Brown has absolutely zero experience in fighting at the bottom end of the table. The single season they had pressure on them -  he was dogshit and the team buckled and lost the league. It's all very well being a leader on the park in a side that's winning the league by a canter and you're surrounded by the best players in the league. It's another thing completely when you've got to play alongside Ojo and JET, and you're back line consists of Gallagher, Bates and Woods. 

Can't say I'm surprised at Brown wanting to go, Glass brought him in & Jim Goodwin has his own ideas of coaching etc.

I sense big changes in summer, Goodwin has already told players there playing for their futures & rightly so. 

22 minutes ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

Can't say I'm surprised at Brown wanting to go, Glass brought him in & Jim Goodwin has his own ideas of coaching etc.

I sense big changes in summer, Goodwin has already told players there playing for their futures & rightly so. 

I can imagine Goodwin would rather have had McGinn on the squad than Brown in the team.  The right type of experience we needed, lost.

• Haha 1