Scott Brown So Far.

15 hours ago, Lan_Lad said:

That's pretty much the way I have come to see it. The Glasgow pair are on another level in comparison to anything else in Scottish football.  They're miles ahead and moving even further ahead, they have never been so out of sight as they are right now. For everyone else there is no money in Scottish football.

The Glasgow two can and do spend millions on a single player,  will probably do it every Summer window. They can approach £20 million spending between them in a single window. While the rest of Scottish football combined wont even spend 1 million .

There is so little money in Scottish football outside those two it's become probably about as competitive in a sense than it's ever been. We all go on about how Aberdeen have a bigger budget and that should make a difference. The thing is in the economics of the modern game that budget advantage is fractional at best. Either of the Glasgow duo could spend as much or more on a single player than the entire Aberdeen budget.

Our budget advantage is nothing like that level of superiority over the rest in a modern environment where English league 1 sides could pay as much or even more than we do. And we're mostly picking them up from that level on freebies, as is everybody else. And it's hit and miss, a gamble every time. We could pay a hundred grand for a player and Livi could get lucky and get something better for nothing.

Unless the financial conditions of the game change in Scotland this is it for the foreseeable future. There will be good and bad seasons. Some seasons very bad. The only way to get any money at all is to make a Euro group. If Hearts and or Hibs  do that next season we're in an even deeper hole. 

Surely the biggest problem we have is the 16% success rate in transfers thats been our biggest downfall. Its always going to be a close to impossible task but I don't think its too much to ask for a 50% plus  success rate from first team recruits. I see no reason why a team with our budget cant be accumulating around 70 points a season. Almost half the league has a wage budget of below 60k per week, we in our last set of books are spending 180k and I suspect its nearer 200k this season. Even our 20% advantage over hearts doesn't sound alot but its still an extra 36k a week which is probably in itself more than Livi's budget. Its not hard to believe the rumours of disgust from Goodwin in regards to the way we have spent our budget.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, sigh said:

Indeed - wasn't in favour of it when he came, but he did well, now sorry to see him go - all the best  

Total BS - why not postpone coaching career by 2 months and see the season out?

The season didn't turn out well?  Well it's not over.

Aye his friend was sacked and he was the assistant but come one be the big man and give the fans something, very carefully worded statement from Brown, not sorry to see him go.

1 minute ago, minijc said:

Yes he should have demanded to play when the new manager and some players didn't want him here.

I doubt it was Ramirez that wanted him away based on his social media comments and it wouldn't have been Hayes either. 

The only other potential power base amongst the players would be the McCrorie, Ferguson crowd so I assume it was them that wanted him away? 

4 minutes ago, Alex Ferguson said:

Total BS - why not postpone coaching career by 2 months and see the season out?

The season didn't turn out well?  Well it's not over.

Aye his friend was sacked and he was the assistant but come one be the big man and give the fans something, very carefully worded statement from Brown, not sorry to see him go.

Yes he should have demanded to play when the new manager and some players didn't want him here.

55 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I doubt it was Ramirez that wanted him away based on his social media comments and it wouldn't have been Hayes either. 

The only other potential power base amongst the players would be the McCrorie, Ferguson crowd so I assume it was them that wanted him away? 

It's about the manager, he wants to play McCrorie, Brown and Barron. Where does Brown fit if those 3 are fit?

17 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Just spotted this. So grim to view. Everyone up in arms that Aberdeen couldn't make it to "the next level".... fuck me I doubt we ever will. Horrendous.

Certainly not helped by all the fucking simpletons who support the cunts instead of their local team

Fixation with money will always hold a club back, this is where more need to think outside of the box and improve in other areas to help compete that way.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Just spotted this. So grim to view. Everyone up in arms that Aberdeen couldn't make it to "the next level".... fuck me I doubt we ever will. Horrendous.

Certainly not helped by all the fucking simpletons who support the cunts instead of their local team

Really emphasis how far we are behind. And that’s us third highest wages. We have 3 x the wages of half the league. It really is quite staggering how teams like livi and Hamilton can put out a competitive team against Celtic and Rangers. 

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

Fixation with money will always hold a club back, this is where more need to think outside of the box and improve in other areas to help compete that way.

Fajitas and taco’s added to the good stalls? 

servers to be white and good at maths 

1 minute ago, minijc said:

Exactly look at the impact 2 or 3 of those Japanese lads have had for Celtic. These are players that didn’t even cost that much on scale of things and came from a market no1 even thought of looking at prior. These players are still out our budget but if the clubs recruitment was better and could tap into unknown markets I would quite like us to take a punt on the odd player on decent money. Offer them a platform for a few seasons and move them on. I suspect that’s what we have done with Vicente, hopefully he hits the ground running next season. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, minijc said:

Aye ok but realistically Man City have won the most EPL's in the last 10 years and have the most money. Celtic with 9 of the last 10 years. Bayern are probably going to win their 10th in a row. PSG win it all the time. Real Madrid away to romp it. Italian football just starting to become competitive again after Juve's dominance and just buying their competitors players.

Money has fucked football and Scottish football is probably the worst example of it.

But with all that said..... Rangers & Celtic having more money than us can't be the excuse for losing to basically the entire league and also Raith this season

• Upvote 2

For me we should be investing more in better coaches, scouting and sports science, obviously that does require more money but it's areas where we could probably compete with bigger clubs if we are smart about it.  It's also important that we get the footballing structure nailed on and continue trying to find players that pass others by for whatever reason, over time that should pay off allowing us to bridge the gap.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, minijc said:

For me we should be investing more in better coaches, scouting and sports science, obviously that does require more money but it's areas where we could probably compete with bigger clubs if we are smart about it.  It's also important that we get the footballing structure nailed on and continue trying to find players that pass others by for whatever reason, over time that should pay off allowing us to bridge the gap.

You could argue that the recruitment and scouting is the most important part of our club. Obviously you want a decent manager but I’m convinced McInnes would still be here even if our recruitment had been half respectable but it’s been an absolute shit show, who knows how much McInnes and Glass had influence on this but it’s been disgraceful and set the team and club back. I’m not sure I buy that it’s set us back 2/3 years though. We are 3/4 good players away from challenging for our minimum expectation of 3rd. That can easy be overcome if we recruit well in summer. 

6 minutes ago, slippers said:

You could argue that the recruitment and scouting is the most important part of our club. Obviously you want a decent manager but I’m convinced McInnes would still be here even if our recruitment had been half respectable but it’s been an absolute shit show, who knows how much McInnes and Glass had influence on this but it’s been disgraceful and set the team and club back. I’m not sure I buy that it’s set us back 2/3 years though. We are 3/4 good players away from challenging for our minimum expectation of 3rd. That can easy be overcome if we recruit well in summer. 

Aye it wont take much. Says more about how shite the league is than ourselves. If we had won just 2 games since Boxing Day we'd be 4th. If we can just be average next season we'll easily finish 3rd. Then hopefully we can build on that...

2 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I think the last thing they won was League 2 in 2009. Stick them in the Scottish league with our money and there is not a chance they are doing anything. 

we should just fuck off Scottish football and join the English leagues since the weegies are too feart to do it. I reckon the dandies would flourish… Southampton levels anyway. Let’s go

Our money but with their structure would see them punch above their weight, that should be our aim.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, minijc said:

Worked for Brentford.

I think the last thing they won was League 2 in 2009. Stick them in the Scottish league with our money and there is not a chance they are doing anything. 

we should just fuck off Scottish football and join the English leagues since the weegies are too feart to do it. I reckon the dandies would flourish… Southampton levels anyway. Let’s go

2 hours ago, slippers said:

Exactly look at the impact 2 or 3 of those Japanese lads have had for Celtic. These are players that didn’t even cost that much on scale of things and came from a market no1 even thought of looking at prior. These players are still out our budget but if the clubs recruitment was better and could tap into unknown markets I would quite like us to take a punt on the odd player on decent money. Offer them a platform for a few seasons and move them on. I suspect that’s what we have done with Vicente, hopefully he hits the ground running next season. 

Holland, an unknown market?  ?

21 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Well as usual I am being opinionated on something I know fuck all about ? couldn’t tell you a thing about Brentford.  so I will take your word for it! 

BRENTFORD FC: The Incredible Story Of Their Last Decade - YouTube

You can watch this to give you an idea, obviously there's still a fair bit of cash used there but it's all relative and definitely the way to go for most clubs, especially with scouting.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1