Scott Brown So Far.

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think he'd get dispensation to play since he is a free agent and has only played for one club this season.

We signed Greg Halford after the January transfer window a few years back

Deary me.

Halford was freed during the window though. 

Brown won't be able to play for anyone else until next season. It's not difficult.

14 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think he'd get dispensation to play since he is a free agent and has only played for one club this season.

We signed Greg Halford after the January transfer window a few years back

You mean Halford who was a free agent when the window closed, or what’s the point of the window 

1 minute ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

He could only play in top flight for another club if his registration had been released before the Jan window.

He would be able to play in lower leagues in Scotland if it was agreed to loan him out but I don't get the impression that would be in Scott's plans for the future. 

could he play for Atlanta 2 as a player coach? their window will still be open?

53 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Are you sure Brown cant play for someone else if he is a free agent?

Could only do that if he was released at some point during the January window.

FWIW I think Goodwin is cutting his nose off to spite his face if we let him go immediately. Presumably there will be a bit of a pay off, although thankfully it looks like Brown won't hold us hostage for the full terms of his contract. But if we are paying him something, surely it would be better keeping him around till summer and let him go then. Our league position is still a bit shaky and even though we could say to him he won't play again under normal circumstances, our squad is a bit thin and only a couple of injuries to midfielders would leave us struggling badly. We might as well get a bit of a return on anything we are paying him even if it is just that emergency cover.

Handshakes all round in summer and hopefully leaves without holding a grudge against the club in general, if not against Goodwin personally

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

If we have cancelled his registration to release him then he's a free agent who can sign for anyone no?

I thought the rule was no more than 2 clubs in a season?

He can certainly sign for someone else. Pretty pointless though as he just couldn't play for them till next season.

Bit of a moot point though if, as has been stated in the press, he intends to retire from playing

21 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

He could only play in top flight for another club if his registration had been released before the Jan window.

He would be able to play in lower leagues in Scotland if it was agreed to loan him out but I don't get the impression that would be in Scott's plans for the future. 

He wouldn't......the loan signing window closed at the end of February for lower league clubs

15 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

FWIW I think Goodwin is cutting his nose off to spite his face if we let him go immediately. Presumably there will be a bit of a pay off, although thankfully it looks like Brown won't hold us hostage for the full terms of his contract. But if we are paying him something, surely it would be better keeping him around till summer and let him go then. Our league position is still a bit shaky and even though we could say to him he won't play again under normal circumstances, our squad is a bit thin and only a couple of injuries to midfielders would leave us struggling badly. We might as well get a bit of a return on anything we are paying him even if it is just that emergency cover.

Handshakes all round in summer and hopefully leaves without holding a grudge against the club in general, if not against Goodwin personally

Very sensible post if we are paying him any money to go might as well keep him in the squad until the end of the season. His performances generally haven’t been as bad as some have made them out to be. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, thurso said:

Very sensible post if we are paying him any money to go might as well keep him in the squad until the end of the season. His performances generally haven’t been as bad as some have made them out to be. 

The manager doesn't want him here any more, he doesn't want to be here anymore. I don't imagine he will have been to difficult to deal with regarding any severance due, especially if he's a gig lined up already. Cyprus with popcorn teeth maybe?

40 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Nope - we looked MILES BETTER in terms of shape and organisation in defence and midfield without Brown. Guy is clearly not interested and his influence has diminished incredibly over last few months. 

Much more dynamic and mobile with McCrorie, Ferguson and Barron.

Brown thanks but sadly it didn't work.

1 minute ago, Broken_Glass said:

Nope - we looked MILES BETTER in terms of shape and organisation in defence and midfield without Brown at Ibrox. Guy is clearly not interested and his influence has diminished incredibly over last few months. 

13 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Nope - we looked MILES BETTER in terms of shape and organisation in defence and midfield without Brown. Guy is clearly not interested and his influence has diminished incredibly over last few months. 

I’m not sure you can say we were miles better we were awful on Saturday we definitely wernt dynamic. We were mobile tho they did get about the pitch better closing people down 

6 minutes ago, thurso said:

I’m not sure you can say we were miles better we were awful on Saturday we definitely wernt dynamic. We were mobile tho they did get about the pitch better closing people down 

I can't understand why your defending brown. He's been shite 

15 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Agree with that - no point keeping a player who's not wanting to be here and who may be a potentially disruptive influence. We need to do things quicker in the midfield - McCrorie, Ferguson and Barron are the answer to that (maybe Polvara if he's any good) - Brown slows everything down - Ferguson is bad enough at that at times, but the two of them together just didn't work. We've still got McGeouch, Jenks, Ojo and could also recall Campbell - Hayes has also played central midfield in the past. No shortage of midfielders.

17 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Dynamic and mobile but still lost. A big concern for me under Goodwin is this is how we will be - a team that is fit and runs a lot but can't actually use the ball. Hopefully i'm wrong but his mantra seems to be "tough to beat" rather than "great to watch"

When Brown was the centre of a back 3 earlier in the season was when we got a couple of our best results all season.

5 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Dynamic and mobile but still lost. A big concern for me under Goodwin is this is how we will be - a team that is fit and runs a lot but can't actually use the ball. Hopefully i'm wrong but his mantra seems to be "tough to beat" rather than "great to watch"

When Brown was the centre of a back 3 earlier in the season was when we got a couple of our best results all season.

Then lost 2 0 to motherwell. 

Brown - good idea as player coach, maybe 1 game in 5 or 6 

bad idea team captain - suggested every game

overall, Very fit and directs well on the smaller parts but doesnt influence as much as you might have hoped

Probably a real good example of how he should be used is Steve Davis you see him rarely but to great effect and has the vision to open up stubborn teams

Personally my view is he has David weir and craig brewster in mind - playing regular top league into 40's..But dont think he will manage that . He needs to go management or player. if combining its 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 

he plays the wrong position to play into 40's a defender can manage those around him and his own position a forward has got it or not, a central midfielder can have the vision to open up defenses and Defensive type midfielder has to do the donkey work. He hasnt the legs to do the donkey work. If he wants to play to his 40's he needs to drop back to defense (where he has looked comfortable to be honest) 

8 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Probably need a real playmaker - McCrorie and Ferguson are box to box players who'll get about the park (Ferguson a bit less so, but think he'll be off in the summer anyway). Barron I still think would be better in the more advanced role in midfield, finding pockets of space, turning, beating players etc with his pace and skill - he's good at spraying the ball about a bit deeper but would be more effective further up I reckon. Polvara is the unknown - he looks like he is a playmaker type - it's just whether he can step up to this level and adapt to the game over here. If he can then a midfield with McCrorie and Polvara is certainly pretty athletic, with Barron in front linking with the attack. 

If we ship out McGeouch, Ojo and Campbell in the summer I guess we'll bring in a couple of new midfielders anyway.

1 minute ago, Don_Corleone said:

Probably need a real playmaker - McCrorie and Ferguson are box to box players who'll get about the park (Ferguson a bit less so, but think he'll be off in the summer anyway). Barron I still think would be better in the more advanced role in midfield, finding pockets of space, turning, beating players etc with his pace and skill - he's good at spraying the ball about a bit deeper but would be more effective further up I reckon. Polvara is the unknown - he looks like he is a playmaker type - it's just whether he can step up to this level and adapt to the game over here. If he can then a midfield with McCrorie and Polvara is certainly pretty athletic, with Barron in front linking with the attack. 

If we ship out McGeouch, Ojo and Campbell in the summer I guess we'll bring in a couple of new midfielders anyway.

I think wee Barron looks a player but it's a lot to lean so much on him at this stage, like many youngsters his form will dip occasionally, and some games may pass him by in SPFL when it becomes hoofball sessions (like most of Hearts game recently). Definitely having him is better than not though!

Goodwin seems to love McCrorie and that type of player with energy, pace etc - I just worry we become a team of 6ft "runners" who can't string 3 passes together.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

And if one of them gets injured? McCrorie does tend to miss a fair amount of each season on the physio's table (albeit in smallish chunks). Ok in comes a tidy but slow and not particularly mobile McGeouch. Or Ojo.... (if he's not filling in for someone else in another random position). Neither particularly appealing options.

However if two of them are out for whatever reason (Ferguson is no stranger to a ban, Barron body still developing, not really used to the intensity of first team football so a muscle injury is always the risk at that age).......then it's definitely both McGeouch and Ojo. And if the 3 games pre-split don't go well, then the folk sticking their heads in the sand will have to face reality. We would be in relegation bother. 

As I said....he's useful for emergency cover. If we release him immediately, you just know that the scenarios I've suggested will happen given the (bad) luck we have had with player injuries over the past 2 or 3 seasons

1 minute ago, DoonTheLine said:

I think wee Barron looks a player but it's a lot to lean so much on him at this stage, like many youngsters his form will dip occasionally, and some games may pass him by in SPFL when it becomes hoofball sessions (like most of Hearts game recently). Definitely having him is better than not though!

Goodwin seems to love McCrorie and that type of player with energy, pace etc - I just worry we become a team of 6ft "runners" who can't string 3 passes together.

I don't mind if our back 4 and 2 defensive midfielders (which seems to be the way pretty much every team sets up nowadays) are big, athletic, aggressive players to give us some backbone, even if they're a bit more limited ability wise - IF the other 4 outfield players are then released to concentrate on attacking, creating, entertaining and scoring. Undoubtedly they should also be fit and athletic (they are supposed to be professional athletes so that's a bare minimum you'd think) but they're the ones you really want to be able to play football. 

We can knock the ball about our own half and get 70% possession stats playing what is allegedly "good football" - but we've had that and it's just plain boring.