Scott Brown So Far.

8 hours ago, Millertime said:

What have they won?

Going from League 1 to the PL in 8 years is pretty impressive for a club that size with one of the smallest wage budgets in the league.  A lot of our fans love to use the budget as an excuse, Brentford are showing that if you work smarter, marginal gains and stick to a structure you can punch above your weight, which over time helps to cut the gap in spending.

Look at the 2019/20 season where they finished 3rd and made the play off final, losing to Fulham who had a wage bill of 54.3m, Brentfords wage bill for that season was 17.1m, Leeds (31.3m), West Brom (92.2m).  Brentford finished above 14 teams who all had much larger wage bills than them, with some having way more money to spend to attract players in the first place.

58 minutes ago, minijc said:

Going from League 1 to the PL in 8 years is pretty impressive for a club that size with one of the smallest wage budgets in the league.  A lot of our fans love to use the budget as an excuse, Brentford are showing that if you work smarter, marginal gains and stick to a structure you can punch above your weight, which over time helps to cut the gap in spending.

Look at the 2019/20 season where they finished 3rd and made the play off final, losing to Fulham who had a wage bill of 54.3m, Brentfords wage bill for that season was 17.1m, Leeds (31.3m), West Brom (92.2m).  Brentford finished above 14 teams who all had much larger wage bills than them, with some having way more money to spend to attract players in the first place.

You can spend Huuuuge in Scottish terms and come a distant and gratifying third.

or you can find a decent keeper, couple of Gorilla built centre halves, a goal scorer and get lucky with a couple of young uns out wide or even better at #10.  And you’ll shitfest your way to third.

point being you’re still 3rd.

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

Promotion. ?

Wow

59 minutes ago, minijc said:

So what’s your point? Brentford have won fuck all and in your nonsensical example they still lost out to teams with higher budgets. Truly inspirational.

Wish people would just accept that nobody will win the league other than the old firm unless some lunatic pumps hundreds of millions into one of the other clubs.

4 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

You can spend Huuuuge in Scottish terms and come a distant and gratifying third.

or you can find a decent keeper, couple of Gorilla built centre halves, a goal scorer and get lucky with a couple of young uns out wide or even better at #10.  And you’ll shitfest your way to third.

point being you’re still 3rd.

You just need ambition and to work smarter and the league is ours ??‍♂️

1 minute ago, Big Hat Logan said:

What a load of shite. 

"Just" need ambition and "work smarter" and the league is ours....hahahaha.  

37 years since someone outside of Rangers/Celtic won the league and you think its "just" ambition and smart working. LOL

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, slippers said:

They have a smaller turnover than us without player sales. If we can get the strategy right absolute no reason why we can’t spend  50-100% more than we currently are knowing we will be able to recoup majority of it if not more! Sadly that side of the club is an absolute disgrace. I think if we do start to sell players more regularly we will see the club loosen the purse strings and start to speculate more. It’s just getting the first 1 or 2 big sales to trigger it all. The challenge after selling them is replacing them with a player as good if not better! 

Do you not think that every single club in the world tries to get the right “strategy” to make money? It’s not like owners of clubs think fuck it, let’s just lose millions for a laugh.

12 hours ago, minijc said:

Excellent take.

What part is untrue?

6 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Wish people would just accept that nobody will win the league other than the old firm unless some lunatic pumps hundreds of millions into one of the other clubs.

5 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

So which is it? Ambition and smart working OR hundreds of millions to win the league? 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Wow

So what’s your point? Brentford have won fuck all and in your nonsensical example they still lost out to teams with higher budgets. Truly inspirational.

They play in England where the PL is seen as the pinnacle, their owner has taken them to heights they would never have got to without following the data and his structure, constantly punching above their weight, in Scotland it's a lot easier to win something than it is in England.

If you honestly believe no other club will win the league here then what's the point, why bother following the team?  Total loser mentality to think we shouldn't bother to try something different because Celtic and Rangers have so much more money.

Appoint good coaches. 

Buy young. 

Develop your own.

Use any spare cash for a wee bit of stardust in choice positions. 

Do that consistently and you'll perform better than most but it still won't guarantee you anything with such a financial divide.   

Bottom line is that everyone is suffering after decades of bending over to the 2 big clubs, old and new and the structure is set up to sustain that model so it becomes an ever increasing self defeating philosophy for anyone other than those two. 

5 minutes ago, minijc said:

They play in England where the PL is seen as the pinnacle, their owner has taken them to heights they would never have got to without following the data and his structure, constantly punching above their weight, in Scotland it's a lot easier to win something than it is in England.

If you honestly believe no other club will win the league here then what's the point, why bother following the team?  Total loser mentality to think we shouldn't bother to try something different because Celtic and Rangers have so much more money.

Where did I say we shouldn’t bother to try something different? You don’t think appointing Glass was “something different”? Wanking over Brentford spending hundreds of millions to win Fuck all is not going to change the fact that Aberdeen will not win the league in our lifetime unless someone pours money into the club.

Love the “loser mentality” chat though, always the first sign of someone losing an argument. Tell you what, I’ll bet you a grand to a charity of choice that nobody other than rangers (in any guise) or Celtic wins the league in the next ten years. Deal? 

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

The best chance anyone outside the Glasgow teams had of winning the league was when Sevco were out of the league and Celtic had their Ronnie Deila period. We were probably the best we've been in about 25 years during that period and we came as close as we've been to challenging them (which as it turns out wasn't all that close in the end). I think that's the only way... a team needs to improve season on season and reach a level of consistency in beating all the other teams most weeks, gradually closing the gap... you then have to hope the Glasgow teams have a wobbly season (more difficult when there's two of them in the league rather than just the one), AND at that exact point you need to really push the boat out... that was perhaps our downfall that particular season - if we'd invested a bit more that year, who knows, we may have done it. We didn't and the chance was gone - they then picked up, Sevco entered the top league for the first time and gradually made up ground, and we started to go backwards.

We've got a lot of ground to make up again to get ourselves back in that situation. Getting back to 3rd in the league isn't a massive challenge - the rest of the teams are garbage. But closing the gap on the top 2 means getting back to that kind of consistency we had, hoping they slip up, and pushing the boat out when the time is right. 

Just now, Don_Corleone said:

The best chance anyone outside the Glasgow teams had of winning the league was when Sevco were out of the league and Celtic had their Ronnie Deila period. We were probably the best we've been in about 25 years during that period and we came as close as we've been to challenging them (which as it turns out wasn't all that close in the end). I think that's the only way... a team needs to improve season on season and reach a level of consistency in beating all the other teams most weeks, gradually closing the gap... you then have to hope the Glasgow teams have a wobbly season (more difficult when there's two of them in the league rather than just the one), AND at that exact point you need to really push the boat out... that was perhaps our downfall that particular season - if we'd invested a bit more that year, who knows, we may have done it. We didn't and the chance was gone - they then picked up, Sevco entered the top league for the first time and gradually made up ground, and we started to go backwards.

We've got a lot of ground to make up again to get ourselves back in that situation. Getting back to 3rd in the league isn't a massive challenge - the rest of the teams are garbage. But closing the gap on the top 2 means getting back to that kind of consistency we had, hoping they slip up, and pushing the boat out when the time is right. 

But then they can just outspend us if they really were worried that we would win the league. Spunking a few million on a striker is nothing to Celtic while we are relying on loans and free transfers. 3rd is realistically the best we are getting in the league.

2 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Where did I say we shouldn’t bother to try something different? You don’t think appointing Glass was “something different”? Wanking over Brentford spending hundreds of millions to win Fuck all is not going to change the fact that Aberdeen will not win the league in our lifetime unless someone pours money into the club.

Love the “loser mentality” chat though, always the first sign of someone losing an argument. Tell you what, I’ll bet you a grand to a charity of choice that nobody other than rangers (in any guise) or Celtic wins the league in the next ten years. Deal? 

You're the one complaining and scoffing at the suggestion that we should follow their model, for me overtime by following that we've be able to enhance our budget and close the gap in a sustainable way.  They've won promotion twice, sad fact about England is that promotion to the PL is worth way more than any trophy.

Loser mentality is there for all to see, it's not even a dig, it's how we've all been condition with the game up here, just accept our place and get on with it, doing the same shite and getting the same results.  I won't be taking the bet, for me too many clubs are set up to fail, old way of thinking and working which doesn't help my odds here.

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

You're the one complaining and scoffing at the suggestion that we should follow their model, for me overtime by following that we've be able to enhance our budget and close the gap in a sustainable way.  They've won promotion twice, sad fact about England is that promotion to the PL is worth way more than any trophy.

Loser mentality is there for all to see, it's not even a dig, it's how we've all been condition with the game up here, just accept our place and get on with it, doing the same shite and getting the same results.  I won't be taking the bet, for me too many clubs are set up to fail, old way of thinking and working which doesn't help my odds here.

So you won’t take the bet?

Thats true loser mentality on display.

30 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Wow

That's the spirit!

Just now, Big Hat Logan said:

So you won’t take the bet?

Thats true loser mentality on display.

Is it really loser mentality?  Sure it would be that if I took the bet when the league is the way it is and teams continue to operate in a the same old fashioned way where most are happy to settle for what they get.

Just now, NEM said:

That's the spirit!

Convince me otherwise 

Just now, minijc said:

Is it really loser mentality?  Sure it would be that if I took the bet when the league is the way it is and teams continue to operate in a the same old fashioned way where most are happy to settle for what they get.

Yup, loser mentality. Not a single club other than the old firm to win the league in the next ten years? To quote your previous post “what’s the point then?”.

Back to wanking over Brentford.

Just now, Big Hat Logan said:

Convince me otherwise 

Yup, loser mentality. Not a single club other than the old firm to win the league in the next ten years? To quote your previous post “what’s the point then?”.

Back to wanking over Brentford.

Right now there is no point in the league if our aim isn't to find ways to outwork those with way more money than us.  Do you not get that every club, in my opinion is set up to fail and never win the league, not one club has a sustainable structure in place, Hibs have started to move towards one, we have ideas of one but thus far we've made a cunt of it.  Honestly why would I take a shit bet at even money? 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Right now there is no point in the league if our aim isn't to find ways to outwork those with way more money than us.  Do you not get that every club, in my opinion is set up to fail and never win the league, not one club has a sustainable structure in place, Hibs have started to move towards one, we have ideas of one but thus far we've made a cunt of it.  Honestly why would I take a shit bet at even money? 

Do you think that owners of every club set out to make losses and not win anything? That every club on the planet doesn’t want to sign unknown players for fuck all and sell them for huge profits? That people simply think “fuck it let’s just set out to fail”?

It’s for charity. Not only have you got a loser mentality you want to deprive dying children.

• Haha 1