Aberdeen 2 - 1 Breidablik (5 - 3)

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

We are very close to having a really strong team/squad. Fkn fantastic that Ramsay/MacKenzie have taken away any need for signing any FB’s but central defence is crucial for any team & ours is questionable at best (at very best) & that is clear to see. 

Hope we don’t ruin what can be a really fkn good season by not fixing such a basic/crucial weakness ?

Even the best teams have proven that if your defence is questionable you will really struggle. 

I'm sure SG is logged on and taking notes, thanks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

We are very close to having a really strong team/squad. Fkn fantastic that Ramsay/MacKenzie have taken away any need for signing any FB’s but central defence is crucial for any team & ours is questionable at best (at very best) & that is clear to see. 

Hope we don’t ruin what can be a really fkn good season by not fixing such a basic/crucial weakness ?

Even the best teams have proven that if your defence is questionable you will really struggle. 

Aye. 

Can't really see an effective partnership in any combination at the moment with the ones we have. 

Gallagher composed on the ball but nae the quickest. 

Consi obviously nae the quickest either. 

McCrorie fine on the ball but can't track a runner. 

We're missing a quicker, sweeper type imo. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Hagi's pubic hair said:

No, I would agree we need another CH, but I disagree to an extent that what we have isn't up to the job, especially given our results.
You need to give them time, plus we are winning games.

Conceding 7 in 6 games doesn’t back your statement there when the discussion is rgds defence though. 

Hopefully I am miss reading it & the sweeds & Icelanders were a lot better in attack than most we will face but reality is (especially in PO round) probably just as big if not more concerning 

Of course those two side were no mugs but they showed how easy we can be gotten at. 

As I say. Overall I am happy but the first priority for strengthening what looks a very good side is in central defence.

4 minutes ago, davieb said:

Could take one or two of their players

Yeah, or we are just a bit crap and/or not up to full speed yet...  I couldn't quite decide.

If they were truely decent, you wonder what else could be found in the Icelandic league - Breidablik are not even the best team.

Surely they can't be on higher wages than what we can offer?  Take our pick.

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. 

Can't really see an effective partnership in any combination at the moment with the ones we have. 

Gallagher composed on the ball but nae the quickest. 

Consi obviously nae the quickest either. 

McCrorie fine on the ball but can't track a runner. 

We're missing a quicker, sweeper type imo. 

Good summation of the centre halves.

We made about £400k in gate receipts tonight.

And another €200k getting to play off round.

Get it spent on a defender. 

8 minutes ago, G31DON said:

Breidablik  were a good team, tried to play proper football on the deck ( with long balls when needed), if they had a decent striker we might have been in more trouble.

Agreed, thought they were decent with a few good players. Thought they could have had a shot at times when they played one pass too many. 

Anyone see what was going on at the end with Brown and one of their coaches?

Ojo min ?

2nd was a peach from Hedges. Shouldve probably won by a few more. Mclennan especially should've scored after doing the hard bit. They caused us some issues in the 2nd half down their right hand side, doubling up on McKenzie. Job done overall. Terrific being back with a good vocal crowd in

Breidablik are a half decent side to be fair. 

Also Hibs ?

23 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Good summation of the centre halves.

We made about £400k in gate receipts tonight.

And another €200k getting to play off round.

Get it spent on a defender. 

And at least another £400k to come for the home gate v Qarabag.

4 minutes ago, REDRODDIE said:

Hats off to Ojo tonight. Absolutely motm for me despite only being on for the  2nd 45. Energy levels outstanding. And also At he heart of both the goals. Well done Funso. 

The way hedges was pointing at him after he scored and the way the players were around him at the final whistle seems to suggest he’s a popular guy as well. If he’s playing like that most weeks and happy to be here then this could be a really big season for him. Absolute credit to him for turning it around also to Glass for recognising his strengths. McInnes would still have him glued to the middle of the park in front of the back 4.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Agreed, thought they were decent with a few good players. Thought they could have had a shot at times when they played one pass too many. 

Anyone see what was going on at the end with Brown and one of their coaches?

We’ve seen that show before with Brown at the wind up.

We’ve been the victim of it in the past.

Probably telling their mouthy cunt of a manager to rap up. 

Might be wrong here but thought we started with a back 3, then after 25 mins pushed Ramsay into right mid and went to a back 4, and then got a grip on the game. Both Hedges and Ramirez should have scored and the game would have been done.

But it took the introduction of Ojo to turn the game with some great thrusts down the inside left channel. Game was VERY open in that 2nd half. Agree that McKenzie played well but they were targeting him with long diagonals over his head. 

A game that we’d lost last season and before that too

The Red Shed is ACE, great initiative 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Liam said:

Can get used to this entertaining fitba malarkey. Best chance we have had to get group stages of Europe.

on a downside fit the fuck was with Ferguson going straight up the tunnel after the game and not joining the rest of the players? Strange.

Yeah that was a bit odd but he had been on the end of a lot of tough challenges, maybe just wanted to get away for treatment? He took a good few sore ones.

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We’ve seen that show before with Brown at the wind up.

We’ve been the victim of it in the past.

Probably telling their mouthy cunt of a manager to rap up. 

Yeah, he looked pretty fucked off though, JET holding him back. It’s usually others that have to be held back when Browns about.

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

Might be wrong here but thought we started with a back 3, then after 25 mins pushed Ramsay into right mid and went to a back 4, and then got a grip on the game. Both Hedges and Ramirez should have scored and the game would have been done.

But it took the introduction of Ojo to turn the game with some great thrusts down the inside left channel. Game was VERY open in that 2nd half. Agree that McKenzie played well but they were targeting him with long diagonals over his head. 

A game that we’d lost last season and before that too

The Red Shed is ACE, great initiative 

Red Shed was brilliant, the club has really done well with that one.

Great nights entertainment with both teams determined to have a go and win, both played some great football. Love the way Glass sees things and has no fear in changing it. Worked a treat tonight. Ojo was brilliant and has real pace who would have known. McCrorie and Mackenzie also played well and it is great to have a striker that actually has a decent first touch and a manger that sees the importance of using all your subs well

41 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Conceding 7 in 6 games doesn’t back your statement there when the discussion is rgds defence though. 

Hopefully I am miss reading it & the sweeds & Icelanders were a lot better in attack than most we will face but reality is (especially in PO round) probably just as big if not more concerning 

Of course those two side were no mugs but they showed how easy we can be gotten at. 

As I say. Overall I am happy but the first priority for strengthening what looks a very good side is in central defence.

4 of those 6 games have been against reasonable European opponents. Hacken were no mugs and Breidablik knocked Austria Vienna out and technically, were a decent side and would defo be a top 4 or 5 side in Scotland in my opinion.
2 of the games against Utd and Livi, we conceded only one goal and even then that was a cock up from Joe Lewis and nothing to do with defenders.

Thought overall, we're doing ok. Gallagher is well short of sharpness, McCrorie looks ok and is obviously getting accustomed to playing their again. Andy is Andy and will give you his all. He's no John Terry, but he will save you 9 times out of 10. The full backs are new kids on the block and will obviously make mistakes in a real life environment, but I'm ok with that. They'll learn much quicker.

I wouldn't be too bothered if we signed another CH, but I'm more interested in a striker... that's what wins you games... scoring more than your opponents. We are creating chances. A positive step in the right direction.

You're being far too critical of the defence.... we won't play pressing, high tempo teams like that every week. Most will come up here to sit in (a la Utd).

12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, I’ve said that elsewhere, probably £500k from that. 

Get it spent.

I’d be happy with a decent outlay on a good centre half & then bring in a good striker on loan from England 

Don’t we have a loan to pay off (like every other Scottish club other than the huns who don’t need to pay) 

Just now, Tinyweelad said:

4 of those 6 games have been against reasonable European opponents. Hacken were no mugs and Breidablik knocked Austria Vienna out and technically, were a decent side and would defo be a top 4 or 5 side in Scotland in my opinion.
2 of the games against Utd and Livi, we conceded only one goal and even then that was a cock up from Joe Lewis and nothing to do with defenders.

Thought overall, we're doing ok. Gallagher is well short of sharpness, McCrorie looks ok and is obviously getting accustomed to playing their again. Andy is Andy and will give you his all. He's no John Terry, but he will save you 9 times out of 10. The full backs are new kids on the block and will obviously make mistakes in a real life environment, but I'm ok with that. They'll learn much quicker.

I wouldn't be too bothered if we signed another CH, but I'm more interested in a striker... that's what wins you games... scoring more than your opponents. We are creating chances. A positive step in the right direction.

You're being far too critical of the defence.... we won't play pressing, high tempo teams like that every week. Most will come up here to sit in (a la Utd).

Some guy on Pie and Bovril called us zoomers for saying that the Icelandic team were no mugs on here. 

I thought they were decent. Mid table spl level probably but trying to play some decent stuff middle to front. Definitely better than Hacken I thought. 

The next team will be another step up again though.