Aberdeen 2 - 1 Breidablik (5 - 3)

17 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Might be wrong here but thought we started with a back 3, then after 25 mins pushed Ramsay into right mid and went to a back 4, and then got a grip on the game. Both Hedges and Ramirez should have scored and the game would have been done.

But it took the introduction of Ojo to turn the game with some great thrusts down the inside left channel. Game was VERY open in that 2nd half. Agree that McKenzie played well but they were targeting him with long diagonals over his head. 

A game that we’d lost last season and before that too

The Red Shed is ACE, great initiative 

And not one face nappy to be seen! ;)

32 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Ojo min ?

2nd was a peach from Hedges. Shouldve probably won by a few more. Mclennan especially should've scored after doing the hard bit. They caused us some issues in the 2nd half down their right hand side, doubling up on McKenzie. Job done overall. Terrific being back with a good vocal crowd in

Breidablik are a half decent side to be fair. 

Also Hibs ?

Think he was a lil unlucky after doing the hard work, tried to place it around keeper but caught his studs in the turf 

Good to see Ojo doing so well. From memory he looked quite promising in his very first couple of matches, and then never seemed to do so well. Given how many players left recently it did seem a surprise that Ojo stayed. I suspect Glass must have seen something in him in training, and has adapted things for him as a result. That it seems to be showing promise is a good sign for Ojo and Glass as a manager. Could be a great season ahead!

27 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

4 of those 6 games have been against reasonable European opponents. Hacken were no mugs and Breidablik knocked Austria Vienna out and technically, were a decent side and would defo be a top 4 or 5 side in Scotland in my opinion.
2 of the games against Utd and Livi, we conceded only one goal and even then that was a cock up from Joe Lewis and nothing to do with defenders.

Thought overall, we're doing ok. Gallagher is well short of sharpness, McCrorie looks ok and is obviously getting accustomed to playing their again. Andy is Andy and will give you his all. He's no John Terry, but he will save you 9 times out of 10. The full backs are new kids on the block and will obviously make mistakes in a real life environment, but I'm ok with that. They'll learn much quicker.

I wouldn't be too bothered if we signed another CH, but I'm more interested in a striker... that's what wins you games... scoring more than your opponents. We are creating chances. A positive step in the right direction.

You're being far too critical of the defence.... we won't play pressing, high tempo teams like that every week. Most will come up here to sit in (a la Utd).

Again with blaming Lewis & excusing others for Livi goal ? not how I viewed that in slightest. If anything Lewis gets credit for being only one to react to poor defensive decisions. He was unlucky that ball was in too quick before he could cover ground to ball back in.

Seems to be a few making excuses for our central defensive frailties. Not sure why. It is clearly the weakest area of the team at moment so why should that be excused? It wouldn’t  be excused if we weren’t scoring enough to counter it. 

Not being negative at all, just giving my opinion of where the tweaks are needed (in my view) to have us fielding a fkn good side as a whole

Good enough performance from the team tonight, so much positives to take from it. 
Don’t think our defence is as bad as has been made out but some people will always try to find the flaws. It will be interesting to see if we do make any movement in the transfer window before the Qarabag game. If the likes of Kennedy and Campbell aren’t in the team on Sunday then I see them going out the door.

5 minutes ago, duklaprague said:

Good to see Ojo doing so well. From memory he looked quite promising in his very first couple of matches, and then never seemed to do so well. Given how many players left recently it did seem a surprise that Ojo stayed. I suspect Glass must have seen something in him in training, and has adapted things for him as a result. That it seems to be showing promise is a good sign for Ojo and Glass as a manager. Could be a great season ahead!

Ojo had been coming onto a game before the Covid lockdown, horrendous when we came back from that.

He played very well when he came on tonight and I’m pleased for him that he has regained some confidence.

Involved in both our goals tonight from both sides of the pitch

3 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Again with blaming Lewis & excusing others for Livi goal ? not how I viewed that in slightest. If anything Lewis gets credit for being only one to react to poor defensive decisions. He was unlucky that ball was in too quick before he could cover ground to ball back in.

Seems to be a few making excuses for our central defensive frailties. Not sure why. It is clearly the weakest area of the team at moment so why should that be excused? It would be excused if we weren’t scoring enough to counter it.

Not being negative at all, just giving my opinion of where the tweaks are needed (in my view) to ave us fielding a fkn good side as a whole

Was McGinn that gave the ball away that led to corner. Where do you draw the line? No way Anderson should be winning that in air against a keeper nearly a foot taller than him who's allowed to use his arms and hands!

You're a bit of a bed wetter. You'd think we were gifting goals left right and centre. As others say, if you play a more expansive, attacking game, you'll open yourself up a wee bit at the back. See Kevin Keegan's Newcastle sides.
Season is only 2 games in domestically, and that's where our bread and butter is. These players need time to bed in, and they will. What we need is cover for injuries. None of the CH options we have are bad players. In fact, been quite impressed with McCrorie on the whole and Gallagher had a decent enough first 45 tonight. Couple of slack passes, but I'll take that. You can't be concrete in every aspect of the side... you have to give credit to opponents like tonight, who made it tricky for us at times in wide areas and moved the ball around quickly.

Calm yersel doon min. Compared to bombscare Taylor and Hoban at times last season, we look like Milan with Baresi and Maldini in it!

21 minutes ago, North_Andy_Dandy said:

Good enough performance from the team tonight, so much positives to take from it. 
Don’t think our defence is as bad as has been made out but some people will always try to find the flaws. It will be interesting to see if we do make any movement in the transfer window before the Qarabag game. If the likes of Kennedy and Campbell aren’t in the team on Sunday then I see them going out the door.

Kennedy can go. Waste of a decent wage. 

Deano needs games & a loan for the season IMO.

Would do him good. No sense in a 20 year old lad being on the bench or in the stand. He needs a season of 25-30 games at a decent level. 

• Upvote 2

Enjoyable, entertaining game again. Much better to watch than we have been for the past few seasons! Refreshing to see us going out to actually win the game, and even when we were in the lead still trying to go for more rather than managing the game out and boring us all to death!

Defence still a bit ropey - I think we need to settle on a pairing and give them a run of games together to form a partnership. Ramsay was good again, and MacKenzie was phenomenal - he seems like quite a shy, quiet lad in interviews, but he absolutely flies into the tackles and has great confidence on the pitch, rarely loses the ball, and is becoming more and more of a threat going forward.

Brown is a great captain, and runs the show. His confidence and attitude is rubbing off on others too.

I thought Ramirez played well enough, but didn't get quite as involved as he does when JET is alongside him. Hedges had a couple of bad misses and a couple other poor moments, but he's a joy to watch when he's gliding past people, and he took both goals well.

Ojo did impress me today - I felt people were going a bit over the top with their praise of him in previous games where i thought he just did alright, but tonight he was genuinely very good. His energy and willingness to run in behind with and without the ball made a difference. McLennan also did pretty well coming on, and I'm not really a fan of him usually. Glass must be applauded for his tactical changes and substitutes - as has been mentioned before, he is pretty ruthless and doesn't waste time making changes unlike our previous manager.

One negative for me was Jenks - I know he was only on about 5-10 minutes, but he looked miles off the pace - first touch poor, second touch slow, gave the ball away pretty much every time. I guess it is hard coming on towards the end of a match and trying to get straight into the speed of it. Hope he proves me wrong, but I don't really see him making much impact here.

End on a positive note though by saying that the signs are encouraging for the season ahead. Still hoping we bring in another striker, defender, and creative player before the end of the window though (in that order of importance). Also hope we can keep Ferguson and Hedges - both seemed fully committed tonight.

Oh - one final thing... what's the words to the chant that's being sung to "She's Electric"? I could make out the tune, but not the words... anyone shed some light?

3 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Enjoyable, entertaining game again. Much better to watch than we have been for the past few seasons! Refreshing to see us going out to actually win the game, and even when we were in the lead still trying to go for more rather than managing the game out and boring us all to death!

Defence still a bit ropey - I think we need to settle on a pairing and give them a run of games together to form a partnership. Ramsay was good again, and MacKenzie was phenomenal - he seems like quite a shy, quiet lad in interviews, but he absolutely flies into the tackles and has great confidence on the pitch, rarely loses the ball, and is becoming more and more of a threat going forward.

Brown is a great captain, and runs the show. His confidence and attitude is rubbing off on others too.

I thought Ramirez played well enough, but didn't get quite as involved as he does when JET is alongside him. Hedges had a couple of bad misses and a couple other poor moments, but he's a joy to watch when he's gliding past people, and he took both goals well.

Ojo did impress me today - I felt people were going a bit over the top with their praise of him in previous games where i thought he just did alright, but tonight he was genuinely very good. His energy and willingness to run in behind with and without the ball made a difference. McLennan also did pretty well coming on, and I'm not really a fan of him usually. Glass must be applauded for his tactical changes and substitutes - as has been mentioned before, he is pretty ruthless and doesn't waste time making changes unlike our previous manager.

One negative for me was Jenks - I know he was only on about 5-10 minutes, but he looked miles off the pace - first touch poor, second touch slow, gave the ball away pretty much every time. I guess it is hard coming on towards the end of a match and trying to get straight into the speed of it. Hope he proves me wrong, but I don't really see him making much impact here.

End on a positive note though by saying that the signs are encouraging for the season ahead. Still hoping we bring in another striker, defender, and creative player before the end of the window though (in that order of importance). Also hope we can keep Ferguson and Hedges - both seemed fully committed tonight.

Oh - one final thing... what's the words to the chant that's being sung to "She's Electric"? I could make out the tune, but not the words... anyone shed some light?

He's our Belgian, he plays in midfield with McLennan, he fuckin hates Neil Lennon, Funsooooo Ojo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

He's our Belgian, he plays in midfield with McLennan, he fuckin hates Neil Lennon, Funsooooo Ojo 

Cheers mate, I couldn't make out any of the words other than something about Neil Lennon. Pretty bizzare words, but good to hear some new songs and chants this season - I noticed Brown won the toss and chose to have us shooting towards the Red Shed in the second half - would always have been the other way about in previous seasons, but the atmosphere down that end seems great.

Excellent result and hard fought. Which pleases me and shows character. 

Was pleased that Glass acknowledged the formation and selection were wrong and changed it at half time. I like this decisiveness. Too often the previous manager would let it play out until it was too late.

What an impact Ojo made, and what an improvement in that guy. Hope he keeps it up.

This season is certainly shaping up to be interesting and could be a case of trying to outscore the opposition as we are a bit suspect at the back due to how we set up. As long as we win though, who gives a fuck. Its exciting and what I wanted after sitting through 2 and a bit years of the pish that McInnes was serving up.

Onwards to Baku and a very winnable tie.

COYR!!

9 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

It's about 3 years old. Resurrected now the great man is back. 

I think the second line used to be “he’s in the starting eleven” before his song got mostly replaced with “for fuck sake Ojo”.

What a transformation in a player. I love this. Glass has seen something in the guy and harnessed it and unleashed it. Along with Mackenzie & Ramsay; real good coaching success stories so far in Glass’ tenure.

• Upvote 1

The Pittodrie pie is now a cheap soggy mince pie, for 3 quid not good enough, 2.60 for a cup of water coke. Staff that don't speak basic English. No matter what terms the club signed up to it's fucking out of order taking the piss so badly. Mouth was so dry after the pie it felt like i'd chewed on sawdust. 

Get it in house, use the likes of the Tilly butcher, the days of shit food at events should be long gone.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Tinyweelad said:

Was McGinn that gave the ball away that led to corner. Where do you draw the line? No way Anderson should be winning that in air against a keeper nearly a foot taller than him who's allowed to use his arms and hands!

You're a bit of a bed wetter. You'd think we were gifting goals left right and centre. As others say, if you play a more expansive, attacking game, you'll open yourself up a wee bit at the back. See Kevin Keegan's Newcastle sides.
Season is only 2 games in domestically, and that's where our bread and butter is. These players need time to bed in, and they will. What we need is cover for injuries. None of the CH options we have are bad players. In fact, been quite impressed with McCrorie on the whole and Gallagher had a decent enough first 45 tonight. Couple of slack passes, but I'll take that. You can't be concrete in every aspect of the side... you have to give credit to opponents like tonight, who made it tricky for us at times in wide areas and moved the ball around quickly.

Calm yersel doon min. Compared to bombscare Taylor and Hoban at times last season, we look like Milan with Baresi and Maldini in it!

So Lewis should be faster running out, or should be even taller. That is why Anderson got ball?

Nonsense, keeper height had absolutely fk all to do with why Anderson scored a flicked in header against Lewis. Had Lewis been 8ft tall it wouldn’t have made a difference & it shows you clearly didn’t see how the goal actually came about & beat Lewis. Timing of ball in & Lewis (even though he reacted as soon as ball was flicked in) not being able to cover the ground to Anderson before the ball came to him was 100% how Anderson managed to score the goal (from under Lewis)  & as far as I am concerned the mistakes were made by our defence before you can lay all blame on Lewis

You want to exclude the domestic games & credit the Euro opponents as better than we’ll face for most part. Fair enough but even if we credit them being as good or even better than us. Losing 6 goals in the 4 games isn’t acceptable in my book if we want to reach groups. 4 in the 2 away. 

The main worry for me is the bulk of goals conceded have been right through middle of defence & with Brown (rightfully so) being given massive credit for his role in holding/defensive/controlling mid then the fact that we have lost so many goals right through middle of defence means that the weakness is for sure in middle of defence.

Very simplistic view some may think but it’s there to be seen & to point it out isn’t overly dramatic or negative & certainly not ‘bedwetting’ it is simply pointing out where our biggest weakness & needs for improvement of.

Fair enough to just be happy enough we get the results but to do so in blissful ignorance of where we can & should be improving on is the other end of the ‘bedwetting’ scale & bordering on ‘happy clapping ignorance’ ?

PO round is only going to be tougher & we cannot in full faith say we are safe in defence going into tougher games when we have already shipped 6 to whichever standard of teams you want to class them as over the 4 games

A very good manger wouldn’t be happy with that defence & would work on it. For me that means signing another CH that will walk straight in to first team & control that back line. Preferably one that can either read the game like the reading champion that was Darren Mackie or have pace that would have Bolt amazed.

Simples

40 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

I think the second line used to be “he’s in the starting eleven” before his song got mostly replaced with “for fuck sake Ojo”.

What a transformation in a player. I love this. Glass has seen something in the guy and harnessed it and unleashed it. Along with Mackenzie & Ramsay; real good coaching success stories so far in Glass’ tenure.

Nope. Words haven't changed. He's in the starting eleven would be even worse than what it is now.