Aberdeen 2 - 1 Breidablik (5 - 3)

I thought we were pretty poor first 25-30 minutes. Glass played 3 at the back in line with the switch he made in the away leg, but they were only playing with one up front so it was a waste of a defender. I was calling for a back 4 around then.

He switched to a back 4 about 10 minutes before half time with McCrorie right back and Ramsay right midfield then made the changes to suit the new formation at half time. I like his decision making and willingness to make changes when it's not working rather than hoping something will click. What surprised me more was the players he took off. McGeoch had been tidy in possession and Gallagher fairly composed apart from one horrendous pass. I wasn't surprised to see Ojo.

Ojo was the real difference tonight although it was a great 2nd from Hedges to kill the tie. Brown was immense while Mackenzie outshone Ramsay this time round.

I agree we're a bit leaky at the back, I do think we'll get the one or two spankings this season when it just doesn't click in a game for some reason but as long as we keep attacking and scoring more goals than the opposition I'm not going to be too bothered.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Hang your heads in shame, Ojo haters! ?

6 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Ojo was superb. Apologies are in order from a few posters ?

Kudos for both laughing at the end. but as we know most of the criticism he was attracting was due to his complete ineffectiveness in advanced positions.

Pretty much every single time in previous games this season, he would develop the fear, allied with serious brain flatulence, leading to him losing the ball and fucking up any decent move we had put together.

If he can kick on from yesterday and develop that end product he provided, then I'd be delighted to see him play more.

The rate he was running at and getting beyond defenders was a joy to watch.

Keep it up min. ?

Was great to watch flowing attacking football.

That was a serious amount of clear cut chances we created yesterday. 

Could easily have had 6 or 7 with a bit more composure in front of goal.

I suppose they could have has 3 or 4 as well though, but if winning games regularly playing football like that, then if a leaky-ish, vulnerable defence is a by-product of that, then so be it.

Looks like this season could be a bit of a rollercoaster job. 

Real edge of the seat stuff.

Maybe AFC could provide that fans with fresh underpants upon exiting the stadium? ?

I thought were just ok until we changed the formation after about half an hour. Hedges was poor in the first half and looked rusty as he should have had at least one if not two goals and Ramirez missed a great chance as well. 

came out in the second half looking a lot more composed and Ojo did really well surging forward and his quick feet for the goal and cut back were excellent. 

The defence looked fragile at times but I thought Mackenzie was excellent, solid in the challenge and got forward well. He looked out on his feet when he went off and gave everything, great to see two young full backs look so good so early in their careers. Would either have got a chance under McInnes? 

My initial perception was Ramsay was by far the better of the two young fullbacks, I think mostly just because MacKenzie was a few years older and at an age where you'd have expected to already have broken into the first team if they were ever going to. Plus Ramsay was getting all the plaudits at the end of last season and start of this season.

But now I'm not so sure. Obviously a last minute winner can probably play with your perception a bit but I thought MacKenzie was great last night and I got the feeling he really believes he deserves to be part of the team now. 

13 minutes ago, alscotoz said:

Obviously didn't get my point across very well. He gets slammed almost every game on here and a decent half and he's a legend. My comments were around the fickleness of football supporters is all...

Fickle indeed, but the whole Ojo having a good game is hardly surprising. He’s been very positive this season and most importantly getting himself into excellent positions to help the team. While his final touch has let him down, all he really had to do was persevere and it would come good at some point. It kind of reminds me a bit of hedges today. He actually had a good first half and made a lot happen only to be, how do you say, profligate. But he kept on, scored twice, put us through and probably man of the match.

The fickleness bit comes from football fans only remembering the last thing, which in Ojo’s case was a bad final touch and, simply concluding he’s shite. Nothing wrong with that - football’s about passion and jumping from one conclusion to another, and I fuckin love it. But in terms of discussion on a football forum it’s a little boring.

for what it’s worth, I think we’ll ultimately move on from Ojo - he quite rightly has ambitions beyond the tin pot guffy sides that were in for him, and we should quite rightly have ambitions that exceeds his capabilities. But for now, we have a player who has pushed himself to improve out of sight from last season and contribute to the team as best he can, and I don’t see anything not to like about that.

And another thing - I had a serious love in for Jack Mackenzie last night. Thought he looked a little nervy in his first few games, which is fair enough. But he seems to be growing into it at an incredible pace and last night looked like a “seasoned professional”.  Wasn’t it just a month or two ago that our “must have” shopping list included full backs?

• Like 1
Guest milne_afc
9 minutes ago, Sydney_Red said:

He actually had a good first half and made a lot happen only to be, how do you say, profligate.

I’m reading this in the voice of Shteve MacLaren

In the two games we've had against Breidablik, we've had two halves of McInnes football and two halves of decent attacking football that clearly leaves us hugely exposed defensively.  4-3 in the attacking halves, 1-0 in the dull as shit halves.  Both should have been more but for bad finishing though.  

Breidablik had a bit more about them than I thought they would, but my concern right now is that if we don't see significant improvement from our defence, then we may see more McInnes football than I was expecting to under Glass.  Rangers/Celtic home and away, Edinburgh teams away etc...

6 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

I thought we were pretty poor first 25-30 minutes. Glass played 3 at the back in line with the switch he made in the away leg, but they were only playing with one up front so it was a waste of a defender. I was calling for a back 4 around then.

He switched to a back 4 about 10 minutes before half time with McCrorie right back and Ramsay right midfield then made the changes to suit the new formation at half time. I like his decision making and willingness to make changes when it's not working rather than hoping something will click. What surprised me more was the players he took off. McGeoch had been tidy in possession and Gallagher fairly composed apart from one horrendous pass. I wasn't surprised to see Ojo.

Ojo was the real difference tonight although it was a great 2nd from Hedges to kill the tie. Brown was immense while Mackenzie outshone Ramsay this time round.

I agree we're a bit leaky at the back, I do think we'll get the one or two spankings this season when it just doesn't click in a game for some reason but as long as we keep attacking and scoring more goals than the opposition I'm not going to be too bothered.

Agree with all of this. I don't think Gallagher did much wrong, him coming off was more about the change of shape. He'll get plenty game time over the season.

Not sure if SG will 'settle' on a back line. He seems happy to make changes, to bring players in and out.

Best bit of the game, bar the goals, was Brown binning two of their guys right in front of the ref, then one of theirs wiped him out, and got a yellow for the trouble. 

Brown bossed it last night. I think the midfield is where we won that game, as we won so many balls in the centre mid position to break away for chance after chance. 

• Upvote 1