Aberdeen 2 - 1 Breidablik (5 - 3)

That was always the frustration when he was at Celtic.  To me it was glaringly obvious what he was doing, sucking them in as you say, but we fell for it time and time again.  What they did especially well was doing it without the ball, it was in the remaining 2/3ds of the midfield containing 2 Celtic centre halves and the remaining 3 Celtic mids.  With not a red to be seen.  Or Ojo or Campbell being crucified for not covering them all.

1 hour ago, TheRock said:

My initial perception was Ramsay was by far the better of the two young fullbacks, I think mostly just because MacKenzie was a few years older and at an age where you'd have expected to already have broken into the first team if they were ever going to. Plus Ramsay was getting all the plaudits at the end of last season and start of this season.

But now I'm not so sure. Obviously a last minute winner can probably play with your perception a bit but I thought MacKenzie was great last night and I got the feeling he really believes he deserves to be part of the team now. 

I think MacKenzie is more solid defensively. 
Ramsay more creative & comfortable going forward.

I think MacKenzie is becoming more confident going forward though as he gets more games. His first instinct was/is often to turn back & play the simple pass but he’s improving with every game in that aspect.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

We got cut open far too easily with that diagonal ball over MacKenzie. I don't know if that was poor positioning by the young loon, or whether he was told to play more inside or further up, but we got caught out time and time again. We were lucky not to concede a few times as they had plenty chances to get a shot away. 

It's because of how attacking we play. The fullbacks are totally isolated. They tuck in because we want to keep our shape, it's a risky tactic but the benefits are there when we go forward, we now create lots of chances and actually look like scoring. We'll lose a few from it but hopefully we score more, either way it's more interesting to watch than last year which felt like a 6-3-1 at times.

7 minutes ago, RUL said:

It's because of how attacking we play. The fullbacks are totally isolated. They tuck in because we want to keep our shape, it's a risky tactic but the benefits are there when we go forward, we now create lots of chances and actually look like scoring. We'll lose a few from it but hopefully we score more, either way it's more interesting to watch than last year which felt like a 6-3-1 at times.

Spot on.

Second half last night was so end to end but it’s a lot more exciting that the crap we’ve had the past two years. I’m not sure we will be successful this season but at least it’s exciting. 

44 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

You’re getting unblocked, you’ve definitely improved. 

I’ve always happily admitted when I’m wrong. Seeing Scott Brown play for us in the flesh has completely changed my mind. I was being won round by the performances on telly but I actually spent some time watching him last night and he’s a class apart. His reading of the game is phenomenal, he is in great physical shape and he gives us that edge we need and that leadership that will get us through tricky ties like last night.

I thought he would struggle to see out 90 minutes now but he clearly takes good care of himself. He also makes great short passes and one touch passes that keep things moving. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Was Ramirez offside for the winner?  Must have been tight.

I don’t think he was, however there were a few occasions where he was well offside and not paying attention to the opponents back line. I have great sympathy for him as he ran himself ragged last night with very little support or service, especially the first half. He was getting really fucked off with the lack of support in the second half, he was raging with McLennan etc. Seemed to be really happy after the final whistle though, seems like a positive guy.

8 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I don’t think he was, however there were a few occasions where he was well offside and not paying attention to the opponents back line. I have great sympathy for him as he ran himself ragged last night with very little support or service, especially the first half. He was getting really fucked off with the lack of support in the second half, he was raging with McLennan etc. Seemed to be really happy after the final whistle though, seems like a positive guy.

His movement for the chance in the first half which he fired straight at the keeper was excellent, been a long time since we had such a striker.

Óskar said that he was not surprised that the aforementioned Ojo came into the game at half time.

"Of course we knew about him, he is their best man. He was good at Laugardalsvöllur and we knew he could come in at any moment. He gave them a vitamin injection, "but Ojo set up Aberdeen's first goal for Hedges.

He clearly didn't watch much of Aberdeen last season then! 

p.s. it's from this interview https://www.visir.is/g/20212142696d

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

What was really annoying was morons behind me screaming at Ramsay or Hedges to play him in despite them knowing he was 5 yards offside. Then calling aforementioned players useless for not playing him in. 

Thought we played very well last night. Contained them mostly in the first half then stepped it up and should of scored. Second half was more open end to end they scored in one of their only real chances and we should of had a few more. 

lewis couldn’t do much about the goal but he had one wonderful save one on one

defence was pretty solid on the most part, didn’t think Gallagher did any thing wrong the first half apart from one cross field switch that went no where near anyone. 

The midfield was really good, brown controlling the game ferguson being all over the place running with it at his feet is good to see. 

raneriz ran himself into the ground put in a really good shift but should of scored, hedges took his goals well but really should of had a couple more. 

ojo was decent probably best half I’v seen him play, McLennan was decent to but is a frustrating player does the hard things well but when it comes to the easy stuff he seems to struggle a bit 

1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

There was a period in the second half where we took 3 or 4 shots from outside the box, and they all went over the bar. Ferguson, hedges and someone else. Each time Ramirez felt like a better option, and should have been played in or crossed to.

He has intelligent movement. 

But he needs players to be closer to him to get the best out of him. That allows him to link up play and frees him to find space. 

Playing him up front on his own like we did in the first half won't get the best out of him. Or many strikers for that matter. 

The 3421 needs to be consigned to the bin.  We look much better in a 4 with full backs pushed on. Means we have an extra one or two players to support the striker 

Quick view on last night.

Glass changed the game at H/T by bringing on Ojo and McLennan.This immediately speeded up our play.

Both were excellent.

McKenzie showed again how much of a farce was that McInnes never gave him a chance despite being in desperate need for full backs..

Having watched Qarabag we need to cut out the amount of shots they are allowed from outside the box.Last night the Icelanders got 4 or 5 free shots away with us sitting back.Qarabag will score a couple if you let them get the same space.

1 hour ago, thurso said:

Thought we played very well last night. Contained them mostly in the first half then stepped it up and should of scored. Second half was more open end to end they scored in one of their only real chances and we should of had a few more. 

lewis couldn’t do much about the goal but he had one wonderful save one on one

defence was pretty solid on the most part, didn’t think Gallagher did any thing wrong the first half apart from one cross field switch that went no where near anyone. 

The midfield was really good, brown controlling the game ferguson being all over the place running with it at his feet is good to see. 

raneriz ran himself into the ground put in a really good shift but should of scored, hedges took his goals well but really should of had a couple more. 

ojo was decent probably best half I’v seen him play, McLennan was decent to but is a frustrating player does the hard things well but when it comes to the easy stuff he seems to struggle a bit 

“Ojo was decent” ?

41 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He has intelligent movement. 

But he needs players to be closer to him to get the best out of him. That allows him to link up play and frees him to find space. 

Playing him up front on his own like we did in the first half won't get the best out of him. Or many strikers for that matter. 

The 3421 needs to be consigned to the bin.  We look much better in a 4 with full backs pushed on. Means we have an extra one or two players to support the striker 

True to an extent, but does leave us open in behind the full backs testament to why they played a number of diagonal balls.

Glass moved to a back three last week and it made us more solid, which is why it is understandable he kept that formation for the start of last night.

on a separate note, I liked Ramsay more advanced and on those occasions where we’ve got both Ramsay and Gurr on the right hand side, I’d like to see Ramsay as the more advanced.

11 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

True to an extent, but does leave us open in behind the full backs testament to why they played a number of diagonal balls.

Glass moved to a back three last week and it made us more solid, which is why it is understandable he kept that formation for the start of last night.

on a separate note, I liked Ramsay more advanced and on those occasions where we’ve got both Ramsay and Gurr on the right hand side, I’d like to see Ramsay as the more advanced.

Depends if you want to focus on winning games or countering the opposition. 

I'd rather we tried to win games even of it does make us susceptible to losing a few.