This is our best chance to win the league in years

6 minutes ago, Kittybrewster Loon said:

I would advise you to read it when you have some free time. I made the argument to the best of my ability and I believe it is very insightful. 

It won't happen,  not with our squad and budget.  I'll be amazed if we even got close over 38 games. Always live in hope of course. 

We are not going to win the league. The huns can field a second string XI that is stronger than our first XI. I would say they have 5 strikers that are better than any of ours. Celtic will sign a few more players before the end of the window they will click into form they could easily have won 10-0 yesterday. 

There is a very good reason why no club from outside Glasgow has won the league since 1985 (an era where the financial disparity was nothing like it is in this era).

The Rangers or Celtic will win the league. That's how it works in Scotland. It's not being defeatist or negative it's just harsh reality.

• Upvote 3
27 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

The Rangers or Celtic will win the league. That's how it works in Scotland. It's not being defeatist or negative it's just harsh reality.

Not according to that idiot Millerman.  Apparently we just need to close our eyes and really really believe,  because it's only the lack of belief that's stopping us,  and nothing to do with only being able to afford inferior players.  Just believe,  and it shall happen. 

2 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

but equally we don’t want to build any kind of early run 

Eh?  You think we should drop points on purpose,  so we can lull them into a false sense of security?  That's fuckin genius. Or maybe hope the arsecheeks don't drop too many points so we don't get too far ahead and draw attention to ourselves? 

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

See I fall somewhere in between.  You have to believe else what’s the point but equally we don’t want to build any kind of early run else the pair of them will just buy us out come January.  Touching distance at the split and see what happens.

But yes, massive odds against.

I've seen a few bizarre things posted about our tactics throughout the years but I'm afraid you've just topped the lot with this one. Dropping points intentionally so the arse cheeks don't outspend us in January??? My initial thought was you are fishing and wanting to see how many bites you'd get........but I now think you genuinely meant it.

One of the main differences between us and them is when they beat teams they seem to properly hump them.

No matter how good we're playing there's always a chance it could go tits up (still have flashbacks to being 4-0 up against ICT at HT a few years ago .)

A good win for us is winning by 2, for them it's 5 or 6. It's a completely different mentality.

Until that changes, can't see us competing enough to beat them both. 1 cheek, maybe.

9 hours ago, redcryptoknight said:

Exactly, if you take a deep dive into the statistics it shows that if Celtic hadn't fluked those six goals on Sunday they would have only managed a draw.

Great thread. Thank you.

I refer you to my previous post above where I addressed the issue of them beating Hamilton 8 - 1 under Deila. They will always be able to smash the odd team. I don't deny that. 

20 minutes ago, Kittybrewster Loon said:

I refer you to my previous post above where I addressed the issue of them beating Hamilton 8 - 1 under Deila. They will always be able to smash the odd team. I don't deny that. 

"The odd team"... That season you refer to Celtic put the following past league teams:

8: Hamilton

7: Motherwell

6: Dundee

5: Dundee United (also 4)

4: Ross County & Inverness

3: St Johnstone (x3), Aberdeen (x2), Hearts (x2)

They smashed teams pretty easily under Deila even when they were relatively pish.

15 hours ago, Kittybrewster Loon said:

Ok, hear me out on this. Celtic look like they are about to have a Ronnie Deila-esc season with this new guy. They are absolutely terrible, and I do not see why we shouldn't aim to be finishing above them this season. We have challenged them all the way before, and that was under McInnes who many believe was responsible for repeatedly crashing our bottle against Celtic. Their problems are there for all to see. 

And what of the huns? Well i think they are going to fall WELL short of what they did last season. We are about to see how much they benefited from not having the fans on their back last season. The style they play requires patience that the orcs won't give them, especially after a few misplaced passes. When players start suffering from a drop in form/confidence or going into their shell a bit (and they will when the going gets tough enough), they will go through large spells in which they will be shite, just like all the seasons before last. Although I believe it will be magnified massively by the fact they are used to playing in front of empty stadiums now. Only the second game of the season and they have already lost their unbeaten run ffs. Expect it to continue. 

If the above happens, and coincides with us having a great season under new management, then i don't see why we shouldn't be going for the title this season. Since Glass has come in i feel like we are seeing the start of a potentially magical season. We are dominating and winning European ties for the first time in a long time. Also i thought we showed the kind of grit required to bag the 3 points on Sunday. We would NOT have won that game last season, and we now have a proven winner on the pitch like Brown to really drive the team on. 

So I don't think it is at all out of the question that we could be scrapping for the title next May :bounce: 

One where they win the league, or one where they win the league and league cup? 

18 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

"The odd team"... That season you refer to Celtic put the following past league teams:

8: Hamilton

7: Motherwell

6: Dundee

5: Dundee United (also 4)

4: Ross County & Inverness

3: St Johnstone (x3), Aberdeen (x2), Hearts (x2)

They smashed teams pretty easily under Deila even when they were relatively pish.

That's exactly my point. When they won games they could still hammer the team, but it was consistency they lacked and we had many chances that season where we botted the chance to go ahead of them. 

It’s a good start by ourselves but that’s it. 2 routine wins where we’ve been marginally above average. Any talk of having a run at the league at this point is just fantasy. There’s more to come from us and we’re definitely a couple of quality players short of being where we want to be, but equally the same can be said for the OF sides who will have many more millions to invest. The Edinburgh sides and possibly St Johnstone (if they keep their squad together) will also be tough nuts to crack this season so whilst I think the league will be more competitive this season, its much too early to predict where we’ll factor in yet.

Our immediate goal has to be reaching the group stages in Europe and benefiting from the financial rewards that go with it.

14 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Aim for the top two positions and that mindset will see us stroll to third (or better).

The mindset of accepting third has had us fourth for three seasons in a row because you lose that mindset that every game is do or die.

Good start... lets see what happens at Tynecastle

Spot on.  I don't expect us to win the league but I do expect us to try and win it

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Aim for the top two positions and that mindset will see us stroll to third (or better).

The mindset of accepting third has had us fourth for three seasons in a row because you lose that mindset that every game is do or die.

Good start... lets see what happens at Tynecastle

Well someone needs to tell Barry Robson & Andy Considine that.

”Get THAT 3rd spot back”.

THAT 3rd spot?..

One thing the OP did get right is that the current hun team really enjoyed playing in empty stadiums. That’s all about to change, for better or worse. We let way too many minks into away ends in Scotland. Limit them to a small % of total crowd, and I could well see some bottle crashing. For scum home matches their home support can be volatile (read cunty) at the best of times, again I could in theory see some bottles crash. They could of course react really well to both their own and opposition supporters, but if they were being honest I bet the lot of them would go another year of closed doors.

what that means for us is a different question all together.

27 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

A league 2 version maybe, Henry.

He keeps coming back over and over, despite hating 'weegies' and glasgow, he craves attention. I feel sorry for him tbh. He's scared of cars after all.

He would have really hated herbie and Christine growing up, pare mite.

• Haha 1