Raith Rovers 2 - 1 Aberdeen

14 hours ago, Crossbow said:

The chance of winning a medal or playing on a bigger stage whilst on loan has been known to attract loan signings though.

Fingers crossed for Thursday.

Which players have come to us on loan attracted by the league cup?

11 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

If we were to get past Qarabag, the prestige of European group stage football will surpass playing a couple of Scottish teams in the League Cup

Yeah I was being completely sarcastic. Nobody outside Scotland gives the slightest toss about the league cup. 

38 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Which players have come to us on loan attracted by the league cup?

Yeah I was being completely sarcastic. Nobody outside Scotland gives the slightest toss about the league cup. 

I'm sure that in general terms is true - when players have achoice of clubs to go on loan to - we aren't the only club looking for loan players you know - they will look at - what is convenient - what is interesting - even where can I further my career - and in that context coming to Aberdeen and featuring in semi finals and finals looks better than coming to Aberdeen and not featuring on one of the few things that will garner 5 seconds of coverage outside of Scotland. Players like to win things or hadn't you heard?

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

I'm sure that in general terms is true - when players have achoice of clubs to go on loan to - we aren't the only club looking for loan players you know - they will look at - what is convenient - what is interesting - even where can I further my career - and in that context coming to Aberdeen and featuring in semi finals and finals looks better than coming to Aberdeen and not featuring on one of the few things that will garner 5 seconds of coverage outside of Scotland. Players like to win things or hadn't you heard?

True, players do like to win things, but in terms of development (if that’s why they are coming on loan), playing European group stage football will be a huge attraction rather than a league cup where they are playing the same Scottish teams they will be up against in the league.

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

If you’re sure then surely you can name players who have chosen to join us so they can have the chance of winning the league cup? Given that we’ve won one cup in 26 years it doesn’t really seem that attractive, players like to win things or hadn’t you heard?

European football, I completely get as a draw for potential loanees and their parent clubs.

1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

If you’re sure then surely you can name players who have chosen to join us so they can have the chance of winning the league cup? Given that we’ve won one cup in 26 years it doesn’t really seem that attractive, players like to win things or hadn’t you heard?

European football, I completely get as a draw for potential loanees and their parent clubs.

Not often I agree with much of what you post but in this instance you are absolutely spot on

6 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

And we can't have both?

Why would anyone come here to try to hope to win anything; we've won one thing in the last 20 years and some folk still seem quite content about that - St Johnstone with their European high flying and cup winning would be more attractive after the cheeks. 

20 hours ago, Crossbow said:

And we can't have both?

Why would anyone come here to try to hope to win anything; we've won one thing in the last 20 years and some folk still seem quite content about that - St Johnstone with their European high flying and cup winning would be more attractive after the cheeks. 

So being in the cup makes no difference then? That’s quite the u-turn.

Also, still waiting for names of players who joined us to have a shot at winning the league cup.

2 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

So being in the cup makes no difference then? That’s quite the u-turn.

Also, still waiting for names of players who joined us to have a shot at winning the league cup.

Not a u-turn - merely a general observation - surely it is obvious that being in a competition is better than not being in it - and having a chance to win something is better than not - I'm certain that no one from England has ever said I'm going to Aberdeen to further my career and win a League Cup medal (or indeed play in Baku) - but I'm sure that being in perceived bigger games does help attract players - I realise you are a generally considered a troll but will indulge you with that statement of the obvious - do you not think playing at Hampden is a good thing for AFC to be doing if they are looking to attract players of a reasonable calibre? I've never said playing in Europe doesn't help - do try to keep on point.

People being a bit obtuse here. 

If a player has been on loan here do you think he'd rather go back to his club having played in Conference group games or winning a trophy?

The opportunity to win trophies would be just as important you'd think. Not many players outside a handful of clubs get too many chances to win a National Cup competition. 

7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

People being a bit obtuse here. 

If a player has been on loan here do you think he'd rather go back to his club having played in Conference group games or winning a trophy?

The opportunity to win trophies would be just as important you'd think. Not many players outside a handful of clubs get too many chances to win a National Cup competition. 

Whatever way you angle it, they're probably correct. 

It depends if we are looking at this as a selling point at point of loan/transfer or the completion of a spell at a club.

Given the two times we can sign players on loan or transfers, we are going to be in the early rounds of cup at best (or out at worst), and given we have won one cup in twenty six years, I don't think we can use the potential winning a trophy as a selling point.  Alternatively, as at 31 August as the deadline shuts, we could potentially be able to sell the opportunity to take part in European games almost up to Christmas.

At the end of a spell, if they had sampled both, would a player look back more fondly on winning a medal/trophy, or some random games in Europe?  I'd hope the former, as that is what football is really about, isn't it?  Certainly what I'd prefer as a fan.

5 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

It depends if we are looking at this as a selling point at point of loan/transfer or the completion of a spell at a club.

Given the two times we can sign players on loan or transfers, we are going to be in the early rounds of cup at best (or out at worst), and given we have won one cup in twenty six years, I don't think we can use the potential winning a trophy as a selling point.  Alternatively, as at 31 August as the deadline shuts, we could potentially be able to sell the opportunity to take part in European games almost up to Christmas.

At the end of a spell, if they had sampled both, would a player look back more fondly on winning a medal/trophy, or some random games in Europe?  I'd hope the former, as that is what football is really about, isn't it?  Certainly what I'd prefer as a fan.

How many players have we had on loan that has come back permanently? Only one I can think of, off the top of my head, is Aluko.  I am sure there are more though.