Raith Rovers 2 - 1 Aberdeen

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

Hopefully this puts to bed all this squad rotation shit going forward.

If all the big guns are there, stripped and ready for action then surely, you start them, and take them off should the scoreline dictate.

If rest is the thinking behind squad rotation, then to do it the other way round is insane, as the players have traveled, and done the warm up, so any rest potential is negated anyway.

Not as if we’re Man City and can host 2 teams.

But learning on the job is what happens when you employ an inexperienced manager. Let’s hope he learns fast.

Agree with all that - Livingston was his first learning opportunity which he has already missed

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

2 windows? 

I'm amazed you've even given him the benefit of the doubt for the 2 weeks you have given him. 

On a serious note, Cormack needs to back his man now. 

I have been very fair & complimentary of him. He’s brought about a lot more exciting times at club than I thought he would in short space of time but the extent of his ignorance to signing the required FIRST PICK CH cannot be excused. Even if results have masked the desperation for some until now

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I have been very fair & complimentary of him. He’s brought about a lot more exciting times at club than I thought he would in short space of time but the extent of his ignorance to signing the required FIRST PICK CH cannot be excused. Even if results have masked the desperation for some until now

Aye I was just joking min. 

He should have realised that the squad isn't deep enough to rest too many at a time. 

But maybe there's an agreement behind the scenes to go all out for the conference groups. Might not just be his decision..... 

15 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Hopefully this puts to bed all this squad rotation shit going forward.

If all the big guns are there, stripped and ready for action then surely, you start them, and take them off should the scoreline dictate.

If rest is the thinking behind squad rotation, then to do it the other way round is insane, as the players have traveled, and done the warm up, so any rest potential is negated anyway.

Not as if we’re Man City and can host 2 teams.

But learning on the job is what happens when you employ an inexperienced manager. Let’s hope he learns fast.

If (probably when) Qarabag put us out, there will be zero need for squad rotation. 

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

If (probably when) Qarabag put us out, there will be zero need for squad rotation. 

Aye. They are playing a balancing act at the moment. 

Waiting to see if we qualify for the groups before opening the purse strings and/or selling Ferguson. 

Meantime the manager has to get results twice a week with the squad he has.  Which isn't good enough to do both. 

I assume he's been told what the priorities are which I suspect is euro qualification above all else. 

20 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye I was just joking min. 

He should have realised that the squad isn't deep enough to rest too many at a time. 

But maybe there's an agreement behind the scenes to go all out for the conference groups. Might not just be his decision..... 

If there is an agreement for that then the lack of strengthening an already piss poor central defence is even more negligible.

We desperately need someone that will walk into central defence & organise that shitshow. Gallagher on his own was the great white hope for Glass in that sense but he was only a gap filler in my view. Not the real one needed. We have ZERO solid defenders. All the ones we have can be passable but only if they have this decent new signing needed to sort them.

Glass has been so fkn far off in his assessment of what’s obviously needed in central defence it really is a worry & he doesn’t even think it’s a fkn priority even now ffs ?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Roberto said:

I think there is a player in Jenks. I just don't think enough happens infront of him to play the way I perhaps wrongly think he can play.

I feel there is time with him.

It's made my decision for going to Hearts next weekend an easy one haha.

Problem is we need people that can run in those two advanced midfield roles.

And the boy just can't run. 

We'd be better playing him in the 3 up front if we must play him as he won't have to get up and down the pitch as much. 

3 minutes ago, Roberto said:

I think there is a player in Jenks. I just don't think enough happens infront of him to play the way I perhaps wrongly think he can play.

So you’re definitely going then.

4 minutes ago, Roberto said:

If there is,he’s hiding it well.

Not long back in the door after driving back from the match... not had a chance to read the thoughts of everyone. But for me, two things very evident today.

1. Jack Gurr is horrific when he's not on his game. You could probably say he cost us that today.

2. Energy levels plummeted during second half.

You win and lose as a side and I'm all for the squad element of how you achieve success, but guys like Jenks, Gurr, JET, really need to improve. McGinn also looks to have lost that wee bit of drive he had about him.

I'd have defo been starting with a stronger side than that then make the subs 2nd half for fresher legs less likely to start to buckle/get injured due to lots of game time/travel. Not much of an excuse, but the poor defending from Gurr and fortunate goal for them, gave them the lift they need, shooting toward their own fans who were anonymous in the first 45.

As for our own support... very quiet today. Unlike most away games. And to show the uber fickle nature of being an Aberdeen supporter, plenty of booing at full time whilst when the players can to applaud us. Will probably never truly understand the mindset of some fans.

Ach well... hopefully we look back at this as a game we needed to give us a wee bit of a wake up, and we're into group stage in a couple of week. Tin pot cup anyway.

2 hours ago, Quagmire said:

McNamara won league titles and played nearly his whole career in the SPL. You could see why we signed him. This cunt Gurr's played most his football at Houston Thunderwizards or some shite. It was a failed experiment with Gallagher last year. Should have learned.

I don't understand why everyone thinks footballers can't play 2 games a week. They play it nearly every week of the season in the lower leagues of England. Play your best team today and play your best team Thursday night. If they can't motivate themselves for a run in a cup and possibly the group stages of the Intertoto Cup or whatever we're playing in, then get them to fuck. 

Exactly. 
fair enough make some changes if you’re winning by a couple with half an hour or so to go but ffs don’t make wholesale changes bringing in utter shite to play in one of only two  trophies we realistically could win. 

utter madness and shite managerial skills. Allied to a pathetic performance. 

• Upvote 1

Even before Gurrs shite performance latterly I didn’t think he done anything worthy of what is required for First team.

Jenks I think is very much a case of English teams fans over exaggerating their quality over Scottish football yet again. Plenty far better potential players in Scotland than him. Bet his parent club fans were thinking he would walk it up here & his goal was just a taste of what’s to come. Don’t think we have time/luxury to waste it on development of ‘potential’ for English clubs like this. Unless they are clear stand outs like Ward, Maddison etc. Which makes his loan all the more wasteful & ridiculous IMO. Rather we used our own for ‘that standard’ of ‘potential’ 

3 hours ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

Let's be honest, there wasn't too much wrong 1st half and it looked comfortable going in at HT - read the comments back on here.

2nd half was simply a fucking disgrace. Unprofessional IYAM 

The catalyst to the downfall was Gurr getting caught wrong side of his man and conceding a free kick. But that said, if I was going to make changes, I'd have made them at half time so you can stamp your authority on tempo of game as soon as whistle goes. The players that came on looked mentally tired as well, which perhaps tells you how much effort they've put in to not just the last few weeks, but the few weeks of pre-season before that. Def a game on two halves today. Gurr looked as bad in 2nd as he looked good 1st. But if you play pressing, attacking football, then it's much easier to dictate events. We didn't in the 2nd as we gave them all the encouragement they needed.

3 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Thankfully not all of us got carried away with the early season stuff so this is not that big a surprise, albeit still hugely  disappointing 

Fucking miles away from being a decent side.

This is bullshit, sorry. That's two games where we've came up short in a half... first half against Livi and 2nd today. Thought you could say the 2nd half of the 1st half against Breidlick was also where we stopped concentrating. But the strongest starting 11 and the style we now try and play, is decent. We just need to replicate this more and more. It's a WIP though, you can't expect to be consistent each minute of each game.

3 hours ago, AllyDon said:

Sad thing is nobody is really that surprised by the result. Angry, pissed off but not surprised. 

Strength and depth of our squad sadly lacking. 

Corrmack and Glass have a lot to do to improve that squad!

This just typifies the yo-yo nature of our fans, particularly on here. I think EVERYONE was surprised by what they witnessed 2nd half today. Hence why the frustration. Sure Glass was equally as annoyed with some of his fringe players.

3 hours ago, Roberto said:

I actually think Jenks is a good player but the movement when he gets the ball is just non existent.

Never looked like scoring and there was no urgency.

Gurr started well and put some decent balls in the box then fuck knows what happened. Beaver.

Arrogance shows we can't make that many changes and expect to win. The warning signs were there vs Livi, but he did it again and fucked it.

Not enough creativity.

Pish. Out the cup. Ah well. Move on.

More important shit coming up I feel.

Well done Raith.

Good post. Sums it up pretty much on the money.

37 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

Not long back in the door after driving back from the match... not had a chance to read the thoughts of everyone. But for me, two things very evident today.

1. Jack Gurr is horrific when he's not on his game. You could probably say he cost us that today.

2. Energy levels plummeted during second half.

You win and lose as a side and I'm all for the squad element of how you achieve success, but guys like Jenks, Gurr, JET, really need to improve. McGinn also looks to have lost that wee bit of drive he had about him.

I'd have defo been starting with a stronger side than that then make the subs 2nd half for fresher legs less likely to start to buckle/get injured due to lots of game time/travel. Not much of an excuse, but the poor defending from Gurr and fortunate goal for them, gave them the lift they need, shooting toward their own fans who were anonymous in the first 45.

As for our own support... very quiet today. Unlike most away games. And to show the uber fickle nature of being an Aberdeen supporter, plenty of booing at full time whilst when the players can to applaud us. Will probably never truly understand the mindset of some fans.

Ach well... hopefully we look back at this as a game we needed to give us a wee bit of a wake up, and we're into group stage in a couple of week. Tin pot cup anyway.

Oh fuck off. Fans booing after losing to RAITH ROVERS? What a surprise. 

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Oh fuck off. Fans booing after losing to RAITH ROVERS? What a surprise. 

Especially after such an amateurish/naive approach to the game from Glass. Only an idiot would have thought it acceptable to ‘rest’ that many players & trust in the rest of the squad that has already proven weak over a long spell under Mcinnes. 

Also the pure lack of respect (or show of ignorance) for both Raith  & the cup. & our own support if truth be told.

Livi games was the early warning/Lesson but he never took a blind bit of notice clearly, if anything he took even more ridiculous risks for sake of ‘resting’ the precious ones ?

Maybe if he signed more youthful players for first team we could expect them capable of playing in ALL the competitions we are supposed to be giving our all in.

Trophies & all that ken ?

• Upvote 1

Well we would have drawn Celtic away. 

I disagree with some if the comments above. Glass was fine to make seven changes and the first half showed that. Gurr was Aberdeen's best player in the first half and put in some great crosses. Second half was a different story but Gurr was unlucky with conceding the free kick for their first goal.

The biggest disappointment was the lack of difference our so called better players made when called upon.

5 minutes ago, super_al said:

I disagree with some if the comments above. Glass was fine to make seven changes and the first half showed that. Gurr was Aberdeen's best player in the first half and put in some great crosses. Second half was a different story but Gurr was unlucky with conceding the free kick for their first goal.

The biggest disappointment was the lack of difference our so called better players made when called upon.

You're at it min. 

6 minutes ago, super_al said:

Not changing a winning side is considered a football mantra. They looked at how we played, changed and beat us. Hamilton put four past them. We are not the team Glass and Cormack think we are. A match against Celtic would have been interesting and presumably income generating… and still a better chance of silverware than anything else for the rest of the year.  

8 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

Not changing a winning side is considered a football mantra. They looked at how we played, changed and beat us. Hamilton put four past them. We are not the team Glass and Cormack think we are. A match against Celtic would have been interesting and presumably income generating… and still a better chance of silverware than anything else for the rest of the year.  

If he had played those who came on do you think we would have won? Ferguson, Brown, Ramiez and Hedges were off it today.

9 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

We all knew this season would have lots of ups and downs, this is the first real downer we’ve gad, stark contrast to Thursday night.

We take it on the chin and carry on. Glass is only a handful of games into his first season, no point pishing the bed quite yet.

Aye you're right. I'm sure that Glass will learn from this and we'll do much better in the next round of the League Cup. 

9 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Had we been cruising 3-0 after a decent first he could potentially taken on the first team options with say, 20/15 mins to go just to close the game out.

Had he started the players in question, and we'd gone a goal down, then you'd all be freaking out at why Glass subbed the likes of Brown, Ramirez, Hedges, Ferguson, Ojo, Ramsay or Mckenzie in favour of Gurr, Jenks, Jet, McLennan to try and get back into the game.

Listen, it's like this every season we start early and have to play Thu/Sun games... it stretches a club like us. That we were all over them first half then caved in the 2nd, says more about the players mentalities than the decision to have them on the field to start. They were good enough to 1-0 and pretty much not give them a sniff. He knows the qualities he has in some of his players now and it's up to them to prove him wrong in the next game they're asked to play.

13 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

Glass kept a winning side a few games ago and people were moaning about McRorie playing, Gallagher not starting, players needing rested etc. Now it’s “you don’t change a winning team” ?

He’s a young rookie manager, everything is a learning process at the moment.

• Upvote 1