Sign in to follow this  
StandFree1982

Raith Rovers 2 - 1 Aberdeen

37 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

Not long back in the door after driving back from the match... not had a chance to read the thoughts of everyone. But for me, two things very evident today.

1. Jack Gurr is horrific when he's not on his game. You could probably say he cost us that today.

2. Energy levels plummeted during second half.

You win and lose as a side and I'm all for the squad element of how you achieve success, but guys like Jenks, Gurr, JET, really need to improve. McGinn also looks to have lost that wee bit of drive he had about him.

I'd have defo been starting with a stronger side than that then make the subs 2nd half for fresher legs less likely to start to buckle/get injured due to lots of game time/travel. Not much of an excuse, but the poor defending from Gurr and fortunate goal for them, gave them the lift they need, shooting toward their own fans who were anonymous in the first 45.

As for our own support... very quiet today. Unlike most away games. And to show the uber fickle nature of being an Aberdeen supporter, plenty of booing at full time whilst when the players can to applaud us. Will probably never truly understand the mindset of some fans.

Ach well... hopefully we look back at this as a game we needed to give us a wee bit of a wake up, and we're into group stage in a couple of week. Tin pot cup anyway.

Oh fuck off. Fans booing after losing to RAITH ROVERS? What a surprise. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Especially after such an amateurish/naive approach to the game from Glass. Only an idiot would have thought it acceptable to ‘rest’ that many players & trust in the rest of the squad that has already proven weak over a long spell under Mcinnes. 

Also the pure lack of respect (or show of ignorance) for both Raith  & the cup. & our own support if truth be told.

Livi games was the early warning/Lesson but he never took a blind bit of notice clearly, if anything he took even more ridiculous risks for sake of ‘resting’ the precious ones 🤣

Maybe if he signed more youthful players for first team we could expect them capable of playing in ALL the competitions we are supposed to be giving our all in.

Trophies & all that ken 🤔

• Upvote 1

Well we would have drawn Celtic away. 

I disagree with some if the comments above. Glass was fine to make seven changes and the first half showed that. Gurr was Aberdeen's best player in the first half and put in some great crosses. Second half was a different story but Gurr was unlucky with conceding the free kick for their first goal.

The biggest disappointment was the lack of difference our so called better players made when called upon.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, super_al said:

I disagree with some if the comments above. Glass was fine to make seven changes and the first half showed that. Gurr was Aberdeen's best player in the first half and put in some great crosses. Second half was a different story but Gurr was unlucky with conceding the free kick for their first goal.

The biggest disappointment was the lack of difference our so called better players made when called upon.

You're at it min. 

6 minutes ago, super_al said:

Not changing a winning side is considered a football mantra. They looked at how we played, changed and beat us. Hamilton put four past them. We are not the team Glass and Cormack think we are. A match against Celtic would have been interesting and presumably income generating… and still a better chance of silverware than anything else for the rest of the year.  

We all knew this season would have lots of ups and downs, this is the first real downer we’ve gad, stark contrast to Thursday night.

We take it on the chin and carry on. Glass is only a handful of games into his first season, no point pishing the bed quite yet.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

Not changing a winning side is considered a football mantra. They looked at how we played, changed and beat us. Hamilton put four past them. We are not the team Glass and Cormack think we are. A match against Celtic would have been interesting and presumably income generating… and still a better chance of silverware than anything else for the rest of the year.  

If he had played those who came on do you think we would have won? Ferguson, Brown, Ramiez and Hedges were off it today.

9 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

We all knew this season would have lots of ups and downs, this is the first real downer we’ve gad, stark contrast to Thursday night.

We take it on the chin and carry on. Glass is only a handful of games into his first season, no point pishing the bed quite yet.

Aye you're right. I'm sure that Glass will learn from this and we'll do much better in the next round of the League Cup. 

1 minute ago, super_al said:

If he had played those who came on do you think we would have won? Ferguson, Brown, Ramiez and Hedges were off it today.

Exactly. The drop in standard from 1st to 2nd half was unacceptable 

9 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Had we been cruising 3-0 after a decent first he could potentially taken on the first team options with say, 20/15 mins to go just to close the game out.

Had he started the players in question, and we'd gone a goal down, then you'd all be freaking out at why Glass subbed the likes of Brown, Ramirez, Hedges, Ferguson, Ojo, Ramsay or Mckenzie in favour of Gurr, Jenks, Jet, McLennan to try and get back into the game.

Listen, it's like this every season we start early and have to play Thu/Sun games... it stretches a club like us. That we were all over them first half then caved in the 2nd, says more about the players mentalities than the decision to have them on the field to start. They were good enough to 1-0 and pretty much not give them a sniff. He knows the qualities he has in some of his players now and it's up to them to prove him wrong in the next game they're asked to play.

13 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

Glass kept a winning side a few games ago and people were moaning about McRorie playing, Gallagher not starting, players needing rested etc. Now it’s “you don’t change a winning team” 😂

He’s a young rookie manager, everything is a learning process at the moment.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Aye you're right. I'm sure that Glass will learn from this and we'll do much better in the next round of the League Cup. 

Wanking yourself into a frenzy over the league cup? Ooft

Challenger club falter again

We deserved nothing today, Big reality check

We are not that good and a defeat  was coming

We need another striker

Sell Ferguson , would we really miss him.

Gutted if Hedges is out for weeks again

Very bad day at the office 

It's going to be a rollercoaster with this team and manager...hopefully the highs will outweigh the loss.

Onto European qualification.  

Edited by True_Don

Just now, Big Hat Logan said:

Wanking yourself into a frenzy over the league cup? Ooft

Aye, we dinnae need to bother with the League Cup, because we're such high rollers.  🙄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Glass kept a winning side a few games ago and people were moaning about McRorie playing, Gallagher not starting, players needing rested etc. Now it’s “you don’t change a winning team” 😂

He’s a young rookie manager, everything is a learning process at the moment.

Pittodrie isn't the place for a young rookie manager to learn the job. That's why a lot of people are so pissed off at this prawcess...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

Pittodrie isn't the place for a young rookie manager to learn the job. That's why a lot of people are so pissed off at this prawcess...

Exactly. How many cups do we have to get papped out before he learns how to do the job? 

Calum Davidson didn't need to "learn" lessons in Cup competitions.  Why should Glass be cut any slack for this - he took the job, he wanted it, but he's not doing the business. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, True_Don said:

It's going to be a rollercoaster with this team and manager...hopefully the highs will outweigh the loss.

Onto European qualification.  

Indeed. Something a lot were saying yet the first bad defeat everyone loses their mind.

26 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Aye, we dinnae need to bother with the League Cup, because we're such high rollers.  🙄

We don’t win the league cup every season, I’m not going to lose sleep after another season of not winning it.

24 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

What is it the place for then?

18 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Exactly. How many cups do we have to get papped out before he learns how to do the job? 

Calum Davidson didn't need to "learn" lessons in Cup competitions.  Why should Glass be cut any slack for this - he took the job, he wanted it, but he's not doing the business. 

Good job you’re not utterly hysterical over losing one game though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Glass has to hold his hands up and admit he made a big mistake today. Too many changes and let’s be honest…if he is making that many changes why not play Woods instead of Lewis. Lewis is far too easily beaten and doesn’t look like he is going to get a clean sheet. 
Jenks is what I said he was after seeing him play his first match….dross. 
We lacked creativity today and underestimated our opponent. 
The team as a whole think they are better than they are. A touch of reality today for quite a few of them and us fans. 
Back to hard work on the training pitch to get things right.

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

Fans who are happy to lap up the adulation of the players for a great support, but turn at the drop of a hat when we hot a bump in the road. Did Celtic fans boo their team off the park when they lost to Hearts? Booing your own players is the most hunnish thing ever. I've long held this belief and will do til the day I depart this turf. Do they need any reminding of how they let themselves and us down today? No, but can you imagine what Brown was thinking as he walked his team over to us to hear folk booing him. Probably reinforces the stereotypical views anyone outside of Aberdeen has of us. Feckin mutants.

34 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

Why? We're not Liverpool or Man Utd. That's like saying Aberdeen's first team is not a club for a player like Ramsay to learn his job.

I'm perfectly happy, indeed, positively impressed with the work I've seen so far. They won't get it right for 90 mins of every game, but the more they keep that style of play (the 1st 45 mins at least) then the more it'll become second nature to them. Drumming out hoofball from our players after 7 seasons of similar from McInnes, will not be an overnight thing. We struggled 2nd half as we stopped playing early balls into midfield and were passing side to side and then out wide. The players lost the confidence as I'm sure the fatigue kicked in.

40 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

if you were offered group stages of Europe over an away round at Parkhead, what would you choose. I'd forgo a cup this year for group stages and progress on he park in terms of style and attitude. Success will not be instant with this appointment. It'll be a steady trudge to the holy grail we all crave. More and more young lads being fed through with the correct mentality. Tell you what, all you moaning farts on here would be better off buying a season ticket and helping us get to 15k, giving the manager more options for buying better players. Is that not more constructive than bitching about the first major problem we've faced this season. Bed wetters indeed.

4 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

Why? We're not Liverpool or Man Utd. That's like saying Aberdeen's first team is not a club for a player like Ramsay to learn his job.

I'm perfectly happy, indeed, positively impressed with the work I've seen so far. They won't get it right for 90 mins of every game, but the more they keep that style of play (the 1st 45 mins at least) then the more it'll become second nature to them. Drumming out hoofball from our players after 7 seasons of similar from McInnes, will not be an overnight thing. We struggled 2nd half as we stopped playing early balls into midfield and were passing side to side and then out wide. The players lost the confidence as I'm sure the fatigue kicked in.

It’s amusing given that people were apparently okay with us not doing that well this season given it’s his first in charge, needs to get his own players etc.

One defeat and now it’s total panic and depression everywhere.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

The team as a whole think they are better than they are. A touch of reality today for quite a few of them and us fans.

This is pish. There was no arrogance there today. I think every player gave their all. Just lacked in the mentality dept and concentration levels dropped. This wasn't from disrespecting the opponents. We played them off the pitch 1st half.
I think many of you do a disservice to Raith Rovers. They have some decent players and played some neat one touch possession football. They are no mugs, were playing at home and toward their own fans 2nd half. They had feck all to lose and it showed at the end.

13 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

Fans who are happy to lap up the adulation of the players for a great support, but turn at the drop of a hat when we hot a bump in the road. Did Celtic fans boo their team off the park when they lost to Hearts? Booing your own players is the most hunnish thing ever. I've long held this belief and will do til the day I depart this turf. Do they need any reminding of how they let themselves and us down today? No, but can you imagine what Brown was thinking as he walked his team over to us to hear folk booing him. Probably reinforces the stereotypical views anyone outside of Aberdeen has of us. Feckin mutants.

What a load of nonsense. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

Fatigue - that was Raith's seventh competitive game - whatever it was fatigue really shouldn't be a factor. We lost - Logan may be content with not winning a cup again - it's effectively been the Aberdeen way for the last 2 decades - I was hoping for a change - my mistake. Same old excuses.

Glass's playing style is refreshing and it's more interesting to watch - he needs to learn - it's a shame he repeated the same move that failed at Livingston - the aim of the game is to score - we managed it once in the first half when apparently everyone was great. Needed to be scoring three before you start thinking that. First half was not good enough and permitted the second half. 

4 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

What a load of nonsense. 

I'm not even bothered what you think tbh. I know players and managers have nothing but resentment when they hear booing or harassment of their players. I'm sure many slightly slow and mentally challenged in our support, think that by booing them, it'll somehow make them play better next game. It doesn't. Any time (particularly at Pittodrie) over the years/decades, that we've booed our players either during or after a game (even booed off at half time) has not created a positive reaction. It has the opposite efffect and unfortunately, tars us all with the same fickle brush. Sure, we're all pissed off.... particularly more so those of us who made the trip to Kirkcaldy today. Be the bigger man though and face the world head on instead of letting those frustrations turn into childish, woke-like petulance.