Fall of Kabul

Ke1t

21 minutes ago, JakieBastard said:

Was it not that wholesale dismantling of communities that depeneded on the mines as a livelihood, with no thought process to how these places could readjust? It wasn't the closing of the mines as such, more the removal of any opportunity of work for isolated parts of the country

Exactly. Some communities have never recovered from it and are still poverty stricken. 

Manboobs knows that too. He's just doing his usual thing. 

6 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

I hate Thatcher as much as the next decent man, but surely you can't blame her 40 years on?

When you consider new labour was just a continuation of Thatcherism under a different colour and more Thatcherism after that then we can very much blame her. 

50 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

I hate Thatcher as much as the next decent man, but surely you can't blame her 40 years on?

The source of income for almost every family in entire towns removed almost overnight, with nothing to replace it. Swathes of families placed in poverty and no way out of it. With poverty comes poorer health and poorer academic achievement for kids of these families. Which leads to a cycle that's very hard to break. 

Of course, successive governments have failed the same people also but, to my mind at least, she's the single biggest reason why many towns and communities across Scotland are still poverty stricken. 

She was an evil cow and the world would've been a better place if she'd been killed in a freak boating accident aged 12. 

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The source of income for almost every family in entire towns removed almost overnight, with nothing to replace it. Swathes of families placed in poverty and no way out of it. With poverty comes poorer health and poorer academic achievement for kids of these families. Which leads to a cycle that's very hard to break. 

They would have got redundancy pay, and benefits, if they had council housing which was quite likely they'd be well enough off to get by. 

There is normally always a way out of poverty if you want it enough. I'm sure their are loads of people who grew up in these towns you speak of who achieved plenty in life professionally and academically. 

I don't blame the generation who lost their jobs in their late 40s and onwards but the younger generations don't have that much of an excuse on the whole. 

4 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

They would have got redundancy pay, and benefits, if they had council housing which was quite likely they'd be well enough off to get by. 

You think it's easy to get by on benefits? 

There is normally always a way out of poverty if you want it enough.

Aye. It's all the poor peoples fault they're poor. They should just try harder. They obviously enjoy being poor. 

I'm  sure their are loads of people who grew up in these towns you speak of who achieved plenty in life professionally and academically. 

Yeah. Of course there are. There are many many more who haven't, as a direct result of having poorer life chances. 

I don't blame the generation who lost their jobs in their late 40s and onwards but the younger generations don't have that much of an excuse on the whole. 

Im sorry but I think you're talking absolute shite. There's a reason those from well off families achieve more, it's not because poor people are just lazy. 

2 hours ago, JakieBastard said:

Was it not that wholesale dismantling of communities that depeneded on the mines as a livelihood, with no thought process to how these places could readjust? It wasn't the closing of the mines as such, more the removal of any opportunity of work for isolated parts of the country

I'm no expert but from my understanding there were schemes offered which the unions and miners didn't engage with as they were striking. It was a conflict rather than 2 sides working together for the benefit of the workers and their families.

Whether that was the fault of either side I can't say but I'd guess there were faults on both sides.

I should say I was a shop steward for over 10 years and I know how unions work.

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

You think it's easy to get by on benefits? 

I never said it would be easy, but it's certainly possibly considering the numerous people who manage. 

Aye. It's all the poor peoples fault they're poor. They should just try harder. They obviously enjoy being poor. 

I accept that some people can't exit poverty due to many issues, but I don't accept that "my dad lost his job in the mine and was on the dole, while I got free education, and free school meals" is a valid reason in the majority of cases.

Im sorry but I think you're talking absolute shite. There's a reason those from well off families achieve more, it's not because poor people are just lazy. 

I'm not comparing them to what people from well off families achieve. I'm just suggesting that there is possible way out of poverty. Even a couple both working full time in minimum wage jobs won't be in poverty. I'm not suggesting that the entire ex mining communities of Fife should be door to door millionaires, just that with a little ambition, hard work and not being a complete idiot they'd escape the clutches of extreme poverty that is all thatchers fault. 

You enjoy the cafe racer?

1 hour ago, fatjim said:

When you consider new labour was just a continuation of Thatcherism under a different colour and more Thatcherism after that then we can very much blame her. 

There's no such thing as Thatcherism. It's a myth. Successive governments have done what they think will keep them in power they don't have some kind of ideology that they stick to obsessively.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

I never said it would be easy, but it's certainly possibly considering the numerous people who manage. 

I accept that some people can't exit poverty due to many issues, but I don't accept that "my dad lost his job in the mine and was on the dole, while I got free education, and free school meals" is a valid reason in the majority of cases.

I'm not comparing them to what people from well off families achieve. I'm just suggesting that there is possible way out of poverty. Even a couple both working full time in minimum wage jobs won't be in poverty. I'm not suggesting that the entire ex mining communities of Fife should be door to door millionaires, just that with a little ambition, hard work and not being a complete idiot they'd escape the clutches of extreme poverty that is all thatchers fault. 

You enjoy the cafe racer?

Yeah. One of my regular favourites these days. 

Really getting in to the porters. Any you'd recommend? 

I loved this when I had it earlier in the year but I've been unable to find it since 

https://www.beermerchants.com/pohjala-cinnabun

31 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yeah. One of my regular favourites these days. 

Really getting in to the porters. Any you'd recommend? 

I loved this when I had it earlier in the year but I've been unable to find it since 

https://www.beermerchants.com/pohjala-cinnabun

Probably only imported once a year by Eebriatrade. Probably late autumn/early winter. 

Heaps o decent stouts. Do you like Brewdog nitro Jet Black Heart?

9 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Probably only imported once a year by Eebriatrade. Probably late autumn/early winter. 

Heaps o decent stouts. Do you like Brewdog nitro Jet Black Heart?

It's alright. Don't dislike it. 

There's a Vocation one called "Sweet Temptation" that I love. It's sweet as fuck but absolutely delicious. 

Just now, Parklife said:

It's alright. Don't dislike it. 

There's a Vocation one called "Sweet Temptation" that I love. It's sweet as fuck but absolutely delicious. 

Those jutes will probably do a few you like. Maybe some overtone if you fancy going hard. 

The Kernel, do an export stout that was a game changer back in the day. Probably hard to find, maybe good spirit co in Glasgow. 

On 8/15/2021 at 10:16 PM, Ke1t said:

Anyone who knows a bit of history could have told you pretty much exactly how the invasion of Afghanistan would end for the US. 

Most of us are too young, or weren't even born, when Saigon fell to the Communists, but... with history having a habit of teaching politicians absolutely nothing... we'll always have the opportunity to see the same shit happen again. 

This is this generation's fall of Saigon. 

US completely pulling out of embassy in Afghanistan over the next 72 hours - YouTube

What a fucking waste.

Edit: at least he nearly got a VC...