Proposed new stadium, by Aberdeen beach

7 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

Bodo Glimt did aright last season playing to crowds of a couple hundred reindeer herders.

No-one will sustainably compete with the big boys again based on matchday ticket sales alone - the fitba authorities and tv markets have cornered that. Its now about smart thinking

They did alright, they still pretty much doubled their average attendance last season when they had a succesful team and were doing well.

If we build a 16000 capacity stadium, get to an average of around 15000 and then get a bit of success we'll have nowhere to go... no way of growing the fan base. It would be the most backward decision the club will ever make.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

Wickes covered that well, I thought. At end of the day it's a trade off between the finished item and cost, factor in season ticket demand versus no shows = around 16k is optimal.

And he's all for it in the city - fuck the mealer interlopers who greet aboot Aberdeen Football Club stadium being in the city of Aberdeen 

This - with fucking bells on

21 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

IF it was to go ahead (wherever it ends up) and they built a 16000 capacity stadium it would show clearly how much Cormack and co lack ambition for the club. Should be pushing for a minimum 20000 and then building a team that will attract supporters to regularly fill it.

We'd go from having the 3rd largest stadium by capacity in the Premier League to the 6th largest. Smaller than Kilmarnock and less than 2000 bigger than Tannadice. We would be a laughing stock (more than we already are).

Kilmarnock who fill about 25% of their ground?  Great comparison ?

4 minutes ago, NEM said:

Kilmarnock who fill about 25% of their ground?  Great comparison ?

And? They would still have a bigger stadium than us and the opportunity to grow if they got some success. We wouldn't have that if we built a shitty little 16000 seater stadium. Its embarrassing they are even thinking of it.

16k is incredibly short sighted. We'd be losing out on thousands of fans for big games that would normally sell out, any future big international games, European Games, gigs etc. 

£120k difference between 16k and 20k fans coming in paying £30 a head.  Unless the cost of building those extra seats is in the 10s of millions, in a few years the extra tickets coming in would cover it. Of course there's overhead, and staffing costs etc to factor in, but if we made the group stages of Europe, we could potentially have 3+ sell out home games, not including any big league games that season. 

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

And? They would still have a bigger stadium than us and the opportunity to grow if they got some success. We wouldn't have that if we built a shitty little 16000 seater stadium. Its embarrassing they are even thinking of it.

I agree. We shouldn’t be reducing our capacity. If we aim at performing in European group stages on a yearly basis those games will more than likely have over 16,000 in them and some even a sell out in our current ground. IF we can get a better team on the pitch that plays a half decent style of football and starts winning games I can see is averaging over 16,000 a season. 

Can see it from clubs point of view on previous attendance figures but these stats change over the years massively in the case of some clubs. I can also see it from a financial stand point but if Cormack delivers what he hopes to deliver with a better footballing side that wins a trophy every 3/4 years and competes regularly in group stages of Europe I think it’s way to low. Maybe a reduction to 20k and I think most would be on board. 

• Upvote 1

2017/18, probably the season things started to regress under McInnes. Not the best of seasons yet we still had 15 crowds of over 14k, 10 of them were over 15k and 7 were over 17k and that was in a pretty shit season. The potential is there to grow bigger crowds with a successful team. Building a 16k stadium would be a joke and i'm blown away that anyone would think it was a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, zeroisgod76 said:

2017/18, probably the season things started to regress under McInnes. Not the best of seasons yet we still had 15 crowds of over 14k, 10 of them were over 15k and 7 were over 17k and that was in a pretty shit season. The potential is there to grow bigger crowds with a successful team. Building a 16k stadium would be a joke and i'm blown away that anyone would think it was a good idea.

As am I in fairness. If the club wanted to reduce by 2-3k I would understand but 6k reduction is absolutely mental! 

35 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

Club are anticipating 16 - 18k capacity at current planning.

29 minutes in - covers costing vs finished article vs alternative revenue. So aye - tens of millions in additional costs for a 20k capacity

They appear to have priced it at 20m for every 4,000 seats.

I genuinely don’t see how we can afford a 80m stadium so he may as well be talking about a 20,000 capacity for all the likelihood of it happening.  

1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

They've had that stadium for about 30 years and not managed it.

Why not build a 100k seater stadium going by your logic.

I think 16k is too small as well but if that's the trade off between staying at the beach or building a white elephant in Westhill then I'm all for it.  Darlington built a 25k out of town stadium in an effort to "grow the club".  How did that turn out for them?  Average crowds of 2k, tumbled down the leagues and were in admin 3 times.

2 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Kilmarnock use all the seats so well that they cleared out the top half of one stand and fired portacabins in, which the club owner uses as offices. I don't know how many seats that removed, but their capacity is less than the 17k odd now. 

also, it's only ever full when they sell their sole for games against sevco and sellik

2 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Kilmarnock use all the seats so well that they cleared out the top half of one stand and fired portacabins in, which the club owner uses as offices. I don't know how many seats that removed, but their capacity is less than the 17k odd now. 

also, it's only ever full when they sell their sole for games against sevco and sellik

It'd be fucking great to give the huns the same paltry % we get for their midden.  15,712 dons fans and 288 huns sounds good to me.  Do away with security for the day even better

28 minutes ago, NEM said:

I think 16k is too small as well but if that's the trade off between staying at the beach or building a white elephant in Westhill then I'm all for it.  Darlington built a 25k out of town stadium in an effort to "grow the club".  How did that turn out for them?  Average crowds of 2k, tumbled down the leagues and were in admin 3 times.

My only logic would be not to build considerably smaller than what we currently have. I'm not advocating for a bigger stadium than Pittodrie but surely its extremely backward thinking to build something thats far smaller?

Darlington aren't exactly the best example, they are a town less than half the size of Aberdeen and within a 30 mile catchment area of Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough. Building a 25k stadium (3 times larger than their previous one) was never going to be a good idea, no matter where it was. In the 10 years prior to building their new stadium their average crowds were only around 3k, its not as if their crowds dropped dramatically in the new stadium.

9 minutes ago, NEM said:

It'd be fucking great to give the huns the same paltry % we get for their midden.  15,712 dons fans and 288 huns sounds good to me.  Do away with security for the day even better

To be fair thats what we should be doing no matter what size of stadium we have. Reduce their allocation to the smallest we possibly can.

56 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

You're fishing with that one 

People forget when they say 16,000, that includes around 1,000 - 1,500 corporate. Then even if the away support is capped at 1,000 there's still probably another 500 taken off for segregation. 

So we'd have 13,000 tickets on sale for big games. I know our crowds have dipped a bit in recent years but we're not that small a club.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, NEM said:

I could be wrong but with the costing I don’t think it matters if it’s built at the beach or westhill it will be 16000.

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

People forget when they say 16,000, that includes around 1,000 - 1,500 corporate. Then even if the away support is capped at 1,000 there's still probably another 500 taken off for segregation. 

So we'd have 13,000 tickets on sale for big games. I know our crowds have dipped a bit in recent years but we're not that small a club.

Cap the away section at 500 and put them in a cage.  There's 1000 additional home fans straight off the bat

32 minutes ago, thurso said:

I could be wrong but with the costing I don’t think it matters if it’s built at the beach or westhill it will be 16000.

All the more reason to get Westhill in the bin then

It's 32 years ago that we last had an average gate of 20k (cup double season) and 7 years since we approached 18k average. Given the costs involved and even allowing for an upturn in form it would be hard to push a genuine economic argument for more than 18k.

Think as Rob mentioned in the interview if it's made easy for season ticket holders to sell their ticket back for games they can't attend then there shouldn't be that many games that folk can't to get a ticket for.

25 minutes ago, Cambridge Red said:

It's 32 years ago that we last had an average gate of 20k (cup double season) and 7 years since we approached 18k average. Given the costs involved and even allowing for an upturn in form it would be hard to push a genuine economic argument for more than 18k.

Think as Rob mentioned in the interview if it's made easy for season ticket holders to sell their ticket back for games they can't attend then there shouldn't be that many games that folk can't to get a ticket for.

18k wouldn't be so bad as long as the stadium was future proofed so could be expanded if we ever needed to. Building a boxy little 16k stadium with no room for any future expansion would be the worst decision the club would ever make. It would basically be them saying 'we know our place in Scottish and European football and will never be any bigger or better than we currently are'

6 hours ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

the mealer interlopers  

Gbn 

has a team ever built a stadium with a smaller capacity than their current one? That would be universally slagged as a lack of ambition whether it’s realistic or not 

• Upvote 1

Going to Pittodrie is usually grim even for dyed in the wool fans and season ticket holders. 

A fully enclosed new stadium and comfortable, enjoyable experience for all types of cunts should increase crowds miles beyond anything we currently get. Obviously not identical in terms of tourists and population but look at the new market of cunts that have appeared at West Ham, Tottenham and Arsenal. 

It would seem silly to build 16,000 although undoubtedly always full. Think the real reason is they don't see more seated capacity as worthwhile income vs cost of building. Dwarfed by hospitality. And with sold out season tickets, easily able to increase the price (although they say they won't, they will) say 10% and cover smaller capacity.

7 hours ago, huncunts said:

Going to Pittodrie is usually grim even for dyed in the wool fans and season ticket holders. 

A fully enclosed new stadium and comfortable, enjoyable experience for all types of cunts should increase crowds miles beyond anything we currently get. Obviously not identical in terms of tourists and population but look at the new market of cunts that have appeared at West Ham, Tottenham and Arsenal. 

It would seem silly to build 16,000 although undoubtedly always full. Think the real reason is they don't see more seated capacity as worthwhile income vs cost of building. Dwarfed by hospitality. And with sold out season tickets, easily able to increase the price (although they say they won't, they will) say 10% and cover smaller capacity.

Perhaps the clubs you mentioned show some vision , approach the fans  ask thier opinions, they can also serve alcohol and have millions more ti spend on grounds, 

Remember this is Scotland with a game andministered by shiesters, crooks and corrupt, incapable, ignorant, arrogant, arseholes.

Just for the avoidance of doubt