Proposed new stadium, by Aberdeen beach

I'm definitely in the 'fuck Kingsford' camp. An arse to get to for anyone in town, and it's only going to get more difficult (or at least become a longer journey) as plans to reduce car use are rolled out in the next few decades. 

If there's a business case to increase capacity at the beach in future years, then plans to upgrade can be considered. Until then, there's no point pretending 4 annual sell-outs against the Old Firm and the occasional visit from Fergie mean we "need" a 20,000 seater.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, At The Border Guy said:

I'm definitely in the 'fuck Kingsford' camp. An arse to get to for anyone in town, and it's only going to get more difficult (or at least become a longer journey) as plans to reduce car use are rolled out in the next few decades. 

If there's a business case to increase capacity at the beach in future years, then plans to upgrade can be considered. Until then, there's no point pretending 4 annual sell-outs against the Old Firm and the occasional visit from Fergie mean we "need" a 20,000 seater.

Whether the stadium is built at Kingsford (which it will be) or not, reducing the capacity of the ground is short sighted and would be the most backwards thinking decision any Aberdeen board have ever made. For a club claiming to want to become a top 100 club and have 15000 season ticket holders it would make us even more of a laughing stock than we currently are.

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Cormack apparently. I figured it to be the complete cost of the whole development. But that seems on the cheap side, but extortionate for the stadium alone. Could just be an increase in material cost.

Construction prices have gone through the roof recently to be fair to the club. Brexit affecting cheaper labour and material supplies, and Covid and the war being used as an excuse for supply issues in places too. 

1 hour ago, King Street Loon said:

Cormack apparently. I figured it to be the complete cost of the whole development. But that seems on the cheap side, but extortionate for the stadium alone. Could just be an increase in material cost.

Cost of building a house has nearly doubled in the past year because of the price of materials so I’d expect building a stadium would be no different 

8 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

£72 million the new revised cost for the stadium. 

Waiting for new council to be voted in before pushing ahead. Whole development will take 3-4 years to build.

We're at Pittodrie for the foreseeable I would think 

72 million I would suggest that's a figure the Council won't want to invest in

The club will sell Pittordrie for say 13 to 15 million and I dare say a small share issue we might cobble a figure of 20 million together as a contribution

Best we and Council start actually start the project before it becomes a 100 million pound project that will never happen

On 2/8/2022 at 10:58 PM, Ke1t said:

That 20% probably represents a good deal of potential revenue, since they likely have a large amount of disposable income. 

They may not be 'football people' but they could be. They're a massive, untapped potential revenue stream for the only (big) team in the city. 

You build a stadium that caters to non-football people, and you target their wallets. You don't even have to watch the game, just spend your cash in our bars, restaurants, arcades, and well-appointed merch units. 

Cormack, of all people, should know all about that model of separating people from their money.  It's the standard model for any US sports team, and it works. 

We didn't get crowds over 14k or so when SAF was in charge, so, no, there's not untapped customers out there 

13 minutes ago, Millertime said:

We didn't get crowds over 14k or so when SAF was in charge, so, no, there's not untapped customers out there 

Where abouts is the story about the 72m? 

Football has changed so much now! Was initially against the 17k stadium but now I think they may be right! Providing we have options to add a few 1000 seats here or their if required. Only thing I would say is if it is the clubs objective to be in Euro groups every season and we are performing well in league/cups it’s not beyond possibilities that we could be selling more than 17k seats 5-10 times a season. It’s gauging if that’s enough.  

8 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Construction prices have gone through the roof recently to be fair to the club. Brexit affecting cheaper labour and material supplies, and Covid and the war being used as an excuse for supply issues in places too. 

To be unfair to the club, construction costs are only ever going to rise and they've been fucking about at this for over 20 years.

3 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Not at the extent they are rising just now though

Its not just wars and covid. There are recessions every decade or so. There are oil price drops. There are many other factors which means that the economics will change over time. Its not a new phenomenon. Fucking about on a project for nearly a quarter of a century, guarantees that you will be exposed to several of these issues. 

Kingswells, Loirston and Kingsford were all supposed to be built by now. If they had been they wouldn't have this problem. 

• Upvote 1

If we'd finished 3rd this season and got into the Group Stages we'd have been able to pay off 5-10% of the stadium. 

Mcinnes had tried for 8 seasons to get into the group stages, even finishing 2nd in the league we had to go through 3-4 qualifiers. The season they announce that we can finish 3rd and get into the groups we end up bottom 6 with a team of fannies. 

• Upvote 4