2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We need a couple of midfielders who can take a ball in to feet on the half turn and make things happen. All our midfielders are too samey and slow and want to play behind the ball. Mix is completely wrong and we leave gaping holes in the centre of the pitch. 

If the longstaff rumour is true he is ideal for that. Stop gap signing but at least an upgrade. Gives Mowbray and co some time to find a permanent replacement for Ferguson this late in the window.

Guest milne_afc
1 minute ago, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

So they say. Or is he just Stewart Milne with better teeth?

This has been suggested previously.

Haven’t signed in for years. but that was absolutely awful. 

23 slack passes we gave away tonight, 18 of them unforced errors where they weren’t even near us or pressing. 

ramirez reminds me of cosgrove… when cosgrove wasn’t scoring for us. 

midfield was disappointing tonight. Brown and Ferguson have been brilliant this year, but tonight just poor.

defence (other than Ramsey) is absolutely diabolical. I’ll give the boy mckenzie a pass as he’s learning, but holy fuck, mcrrorie and Gallacher are woeful! That’s the focus area between now and the end of the season. 

Love Joe Lewis, but he needs dropped. He’s not a keeper playing with confidence just now. Thought it was captaincy last year, but it’s continued and showed over the last few games. 

Stephen Glass for the first time since his appointment (minus raith), didn’t have a clue what to do in that game. Usually not scared of making changes, but other than getting JET on at half time, he didn’t have any answers for them.

were they a good team? We have beaten better teams, that’s all I’ll say.

golden opportunity wasted in my opinion, when we have had a fairly reasonable draw. 

worst part of all this is the build up. First time I’ve had the cup final feeling in years for this game, and nobody other than the fans turned up.

question is, what from here? Out of one cup, out of Europe, realistically not going to win the league, so qualification for Europe and chance of Scottish cup? I’ll keep going, but I’d be surprised if attendances were over 10K for majority of the season other than the OF.

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We need a couple of midfielders who can take a ball in to feet on the half turn and make things happen. All our midfielders are too samey and slow and want to play behind the ball. Mix is completely wrong and we leave gaping holes in the centre of the pitch. 

Losing Hedges was our only chance of winning this tie gone. Only player we have with genuine pace that could have troubled their defence. JET might be creative enough against other SPL teams but his lack of mobility means he was virtually useless in this tie.

Watkins at least gives us someone else with enough pace going forward but I think we all now have to accept that this season is going to be one of transition. If we can get third place it should be considered a success but I'm not convinced we will. And if we don't get another starting CH in before the window closes then we most definitely won't

Our team was hung out to dry when Glass and Cormack decided that has been and never beens from the US were the right standard for the SPL.

The deficiencies have been obvious and we've blown the league cup, some said to help concentrate on Europe when that was only ever a pipe dream - I'll have what they're smoking but it wont make Aberdeen into winners. Beaten by Raith Rovers in one of the two most important games of our year as allegedly that is a trophy we might win - hell even McInnes won that one. Cormack gambled and lost really big - is he man enough to fix or will he head back to the States and watch some soccer.

As well as being a class above technically, their movement off the ball was also far superior. It seems we are always having to play into tight areas where our players had little room to manoeuvre and were rushed into mistakes. On the other hand they always seemed to have acres of space when receiving and were so comfortable throughout. 

Would appear to be something that needs to be worked on a lot more, especially at this level.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

The level we play at is fucking horrendous. 

Grass roots change is needed. 

That won't happen. 

The level we play at will continue to be fucking horrendous. 

I agree that grass roots needs to be changed, but I don’t see it happening in my lifetime, need to get rid of the SFA and the bigot brothers first.

3 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Not worth picking that apart. Wouldn’t even know where to start.

5 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

The level we play at is fucking horrendous. 

Grass roots change is needed. 

That won't happen. 

The level we play at will continue to be fucking horrendous. 

And we’ll do the same dance next year… maybe.

Qualify for Europe, get through a round or two, draw a good team, get outclassed… repeat…

1 minute ago, Hazlehead Don said:

I agree that grass roots needs to be changed, but I don’t see it happening in my lifetime, need to get rid of the SFA and the bigot brothers first.

What summed it up for me... and admittedly this was Steve 'Head Injury' Tosh saying it... Ramsey brings down a crossfield pass and controls it. 

"Thatsh wij lovely fae Rumshey" gushes Tosh. 

It wasn't "Fucking lovely". He did one of the basic fucking things a professional footballer should be able to do... but it was so unusual to see someone in a red shirt do it that Tosh marveled at the fantastical skills of an Aberdeen player being able to do one of the basics. 

3 minutes ago, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

I dont expect much from Aberdeen nowadays but I expect a bit of fight and pride in the jersey the two young lads excepted. The rest were a disgrace.

I saw McGinn come on... did he even touch the ball?

Just remember that Gurr is about 25 and has played about 25 games in his career. Ramsay will soon have more at 17. 

JET played his best years in Thailand or some other backwater 

novelty signings. That won’t get you anywhere near silverware at the #businessend of the season 

5 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Glass needs to take serious heat for this now, honeymoon is over

Mccrorie in defence  - his decision and a mistake 

Gurr - lol

Gallagher- his signing,  shite 

Ojo - there's a reason he was banished.  Glass decision to play him, shite

Hayes - shite 

Jenks - see Gurr

Emmanuel thomas - Glass signing, shite

Ramirez- I'm coming off the fence now. Shite 

I am back to hating players again and thats really sad

Can't argue with any of that

29 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

Our team was hung out to dry when Glass and Cormack decided that has been and never beens from the US were the right standard for the SPL.

The deficiencies have been obvious and we've blown the league cup, some said to help concentrate on Europe when that was only ever a pipe dream - I'll have what they're smoking but it wont make Aberdeen into winners. Beaten by Raith Rovers in one of the two most important games of our year as allegedly that is a trophy we might win - hell even McInnes won that one. Cormack gambled and lost really big - is he man enough to fix or will he head back to the States and watch some soccer.

Fairly accurate. The likes of Ramirez and co are miles off it.

Sign crap players and get crap performances. Resting players for the League Cup seems incredibly stupid now.

Desperately require 2 CBs and blindly hoping this lad Samuels who has scored one senior goal to date in his career is a hidden gem.

Crap all over the place tonight.

20 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Not worth picking that apart. Wouldn’t even know where to start.

Id start even before the game did. Knew we were in trouble before the ball was kicked.

Our warm up is so out of date

A bit of a knock around 
A warm up
A stretch
A bit of a break
A game of 5 a side
A shoot in at goal
a warm up in front of the RDS 

And that is the first 6 we have done for 10 years the last one the last 3 or 4. Rangers 2 years ago completley different. I was looking forward to seeing what glass would change the answer nothing.

Quarabeg played a fancy Y shape with loads of fast interchanging passes forward sideways and back, to stationary players and moving players while they were stationary and moving. You could see they where super good at that point.

We did oK for 5 mins and then they started doubling up on full backs and isolated them. first goal Ramsey was with two off their players didnt know if to go to the ball or the runner - did nothing basically. he looked his age and his experience in the 2nd part of the first half

next 1/2 time warm up. we played our usual 3 m diameter piggy in the middle. they a 10 yard interchanging moving passing drill. we knocked balls aimlessly 40 yards to each other they a side by side 10 yard drill

then we got momentum in the second half - they just broke up and slowed down the play and we lost momentum.

the obvious  we needed a  back 5 to support our youg full backs and stop them getting isolated.
Scott brown cant carry the midfield alone.
Our shape was completly wrong we lost midfield and they overloaded us out wide

See the pitch last week - masterstroke by them - they knew it would stop both teams playing and on a good surface they would excell and boy did they

Oh please bring our warm up out of the mid 80's into the early mid 21st century

Failure to do the simple things like passing to a teammate has cropped up far too often. Yes, we were outclassed but we made it that bit easier for them. Their second looked offside but it was game over when they scored their first.

We need two defenders and a creative midfielder. 

What a fuckin clown running onto the pitch - hopefully AFC chase him for the fine that follows from uefa and the morons in Merkland who applauded him need to fuck right off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Our big problem is our shape. We’re sacrificing defenders to be more attacking but our movement beyond the halfway line is brutal. We’re not benefiting at all from higher fullbacks. Huge gaps all over the place and no forward passes. Same as Raith, Livi and Hearts. Carbon copy of last season against DUFC.

Glass could do a lot worse than learning from the shape and system used by Qarabag.