Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Zero respect for McGhee?

On 8/21/2021 at 6:39 AM, Shinniesta said:

Strachan was a sarcastic nippy little cunt at Aberdeen but he was like that everywhere it's what made him a great player. He wanted to try his luck elsewhere after huge success at Aberdeen just like Fergie did and to be fair he did very well after he left the club so it was the right decision. He actually talks very fondly of his time at AFC in this interview from last year when he was inducted into the AFC Hall of Fame. Yes he was an arrogant little cunt but he was a proper winner with fantastic ability....give me 10 Strachan's at my club any day of the week.

Aye, someone over 5 feet in goals. ?

30 minutes ago, teaboy1903 said:

McGhee

player: legend

manager: idiot

thats all that needs to be said on the matter from me

Is the correct answer. 

As far as I'm concerned, the managerial McGhee era didn't happen. 

May 11th, 1983... 112 minutes into a game against the biggest club side on the planet, McGhee loses his man and races into a position to receive Weir's lovely flighted pass up the left wing. McGhee then turns Dutch international defender, Johnny Metgod, inside out, before whipping in a world class cross right onto the napper of the man who needs his own statue in Aberdeen city centre, John Hewitt.

...And efter that, the gemme wiz oors. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

We don't have a great track record of signing managers post-Ferguson. 

You would expect some small degree of success for a club our size, even with the two 'giants' mopping up all the titles and most of the cups, but we've underperformed in actual honours for decades. 

Fuck knows what the interview/vetting process is, but stuff like Paterson's alcoholism was apparently an 'open secret' (so, not a secret at all), yet AFC chose to hire him anyway. It was ultimately decided that the most dignified way of sacking him was to stuff him in the boot of a car, much like you might the corpse of someone you plan to bury in the woods. We truly were run like a fucking social club for the impoverished under the 'non-executive' reign of Der Wig... after he blew all the club's cash on 'managers' who'd never managed a day in their lives, of course. 

Hopefully the Cormack era is more productive.

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

That would be serious money actually. Was he our most heavily backed manager?

A quick look at google came up with this list

Dean Windass - £750k

Paul Bernard - £1m

Tzetanov - £750k

Kiriakov - £400k

O'Neil - £750k

Walker - £50k

Ricky Gillies -£350k

Jess - £700k

Gary Smith - £200k

20 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

Dean Windass - £750k

Paul Bernard - £1m

Tzetanov - £750k

Kiriakov - £400k

O'Neil - £750k

Walker - £50k

Ricky Gillies -£350k

Jess - £700k

Gary Smith - £200k

Eion Jess is that not more the fact that the original transfer fee to Coventry was never fully paid so the we just wrote off the balance?

Without the Jess fee it's over £4million

1 hour ago, ericblack4boss said:

Eion Jess is that not more the fact that the original transfer fee to Coventry was never fully paid so the we just wrote off the balance?

Without the Jess fee it's over £4million

The wages on them is probably horrendous. 

17 hours ago, shut up meg said:

Dean Windass - £750k

Paul Bernard - £1m

Tzetanov - £750k

Kiriakov - £400k

O'Neil - £750k

Walker - £50k

Ricky Gillies -£350k

Jess - £700k

Gary Smith - £200k

Windass, Kirakov (mostly) and Jess were worth the money. Bernard was a good player but expected too much from him considering the fee.

Miller also spent £500k and 400k on Shearer and Mixu, respectively. Although both were worth the money.

17 hours ago, shut up meg said:

Dean Windass - £750k

Paul Bernard - £1m

Tzetanov - £750k

Kiriakov - £400k

O'Neil - £750k

Walker - £50k

Ricky Gillies -£350k

Jess - £700k

Gary Smith - £200k

Windass, Jess and Smith the only 3 you could argue were value for money although I'm sure Willie Miller signed Smith.  Bernard was decent just too injury prone.  The Bulgarians might have been ok if we could have kept them off the tabs and out of Riley's snooker hall ?

£850k for O'Neill is shocking business

7 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Windass, Kirakov (mostly) and Jess were worth the money. Bernard was a good player but expected too much from him considering the fee.

Miller also spent £500k and 400k on Shearer and Mixu, respectively. Although both were worth the money.

Windass? Really? 750k. 

I was young but I was never that taken by Windass, compared to Dodds, Shearer, Booth, Jess. Thought he was going to be a lot better when he was signed. He should have been.

Sold after 3 seasons at a 275k loss

Better than signing Stevie May and releasing him half way through his contract right enough

edit: Just noticing Oxford sold him on for double the price 8 months after buying him from us. Bastards!

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Windass? Really? 750k. 

I was young but I was never that taken by Windass, compared to Dodds, Shearer, Booth, Jess. Thought he was going to be a lot better when he was signed. He should have been.

£700k I think it was and we recouped £450k when we sold him to Oxford.  I liked Windass thought he was decent, would have done better for us if not for the disciplinary issues

10 hours ago, NEM said:

Windass, Jess and Smith the only 3 you could argue were value for money although I'm sure Willie Miller signed Smith.  Bernard was decent just too injury prone.  The Bulgarians might have been ok if we could have kept them off the tabs and out of Riley's snooker hall ?

£850k for O'Neill is shocking business

Alex Smith signed Smith first time around 

28 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Alex Smith signed Smith first time around 

Right enough just checked and hadn’t remembered him leaving then coming back. Just knew he played in the 1992 league cup final under Willie so couldn’t have been signed by Aitken if he’d been at the club once ??

He was one of the best players on the pitch that day too, bloody sickener he scored the huns winner 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, NEM said:

Right enough just checked and hadn’t remembered him leaving then coming back. Just knew he played in the 1992 league cup final under Willie so couldn’t have been signed by Aitken if he’d been at the club once ??

He was one of the best players on the pitch that day too, bloody sickener he scored the huns winner 

Aye. Smith was a class act first time round.

I can’t quite remember how his second spell went, but I don’t think he was anywhere near as good.