Samuels Signs

28 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Longstaff was one of our better players yesterday. He had an energy and speed of thought about him that was ahead of most around him.

He looks like a cracking signing in my opinion

Looked quality early on but became a bit anonymous, like everyone else tbf, as the game went on. He's maybe not match fit yet.

16 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Looked quality early on but became a bit anonymous, like everyone else tbf, as the game went on. He's maybe not match fit yet.

I agree which is why he was changed out.

Aside from Longstaff, it was frustrating to see a number of our players (Samuels, Ferguson, Ramsay etc all making great runs breaking the lines but we were so slow and ponderous to clip the ball over for the runner. The worst instance was when their RB hobbled / play acted back from 2 yards from the touch line to playing everyone on. Ramirez was screaming for the ball to be played through but it didn't happen

12 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Seriously?

We were constantly playing the ball over the top of them; too much I thought!

Yes seriously

We missed loads of opportunities by being too slow and not having the vision.

We also had plenty of opportunities to switch play via a diagonal ball, which was free on numerous occasions and opted to switch it by playing across the back line, making an additional 2 or 3 passes and allowing them to shuffle across.

10 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Yes seriously

We missed loads of opportunities by being too slow and not having the vision.

We also had plenty of opportunities to switch play via a diagonal ball, which was free on numerous occasions and opted to switch it by playing across the back line, making an additional 2 or 3 passes and allowing them to shuffle across.

The European sides are very effective at that diagonal ball. Especially the Icelandic lot where almost every dangerous attack came from a diagonal ball over to our right LB side. 

11 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

The European sides are very effective at that diagonal ball. Especially the Icelandic lot where almost every dangerous attack came from a diagonal ball over to our right LB side. 

It’s a good out ball as it is done with speed in the transition.

There was a number of times in the second half particularly, that Gallagher (playing LCB) could have hit the diagonal to Hayes (RW) who was in acres of space in one movement. Instead it went Gallagher - McCrorie - Ramsay - Hayes. By which time, they had shuffled across and Hayes then had to pass back to Ramsay.

you could swap out Hayes for Ojo in the first half.

Our issue yesterday for me is that we were too slow and allowed them to get back in position / set to defend, instead of getting them on the turn and stretching them.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If we're pinning our hopes on this guy then we really are fucked. 

Better than Gurr but only just. 

Had the ball in the box and put his pass out for a throw in.  About 20 yards behind where he was standing. On the opposite side of the pitch.  Never seen that before. 

Yeah, remember thinking that was odd...perhaps made the decision to go to bed early, an easier one.

10 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If we're pinning our hopes on this guy then we really are fucked. 

Better than Gurr but only just. 

Had the ball in the box and put his pass out for a throw in.  About 20 yards behind where he was standing. On the opposite side of the pitch.  Never seen that before. 

There’s no way the likes of samuels, jenks and gurr can be better than our own youth players. If they are then our scouts & youth coaches need shot. Literally shot. In the face. 

7 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

I thought Samuels said in an interview that he was a striker.

He is a striker… with 1 professional first team goal to his name, against some part-time shower in the FA Cup. 

When he signed, I saw comments from two managers who had him on loan, who basically said he was ineffective out wide.

So what does our manager do? Play him wide left.