Scotland vs Denmark, Moldova & Austria

9 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Think that three in midfield is our best option - Gilmour, Potatohead & McGregor.  I think those three are going to give most midfields in Europe a challenge.  I like McTominay as a player, but sure he's really hit the heights for Scotland, to warrant selection above those three.

Grant Hanley is probably Scotlands second best player these days.  How things change!

McTominay will play when fit. Whether that's as one of the 3 central defenders or in midfield......he will be shoehorned in. If it's in midfield, it will either be at the expense of McGregor or one of the attackers

19 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Was thinking that last night. Not sure where he plays. I think he’s better than McGinn but he’s the golden boy of the team. Gilmour and McGregor are better players for me than McGinn.

Agree.  I don't think McGinn is a particularly gifted technician - but he's a bundle of energy, presses the opponent really well and drives the team forward.  Seems to have a knack of pinching a goal for Scotland too!

22 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Think that three in midfield is our best option - Gilmour, Potatohead & McGregor.  I think those three are going to give most midfields in Europe a challenge.  I like McTominay as a player, but sure he's really hit the heights for Scotland, to warrant selection above those three.

Grant Hanley is probably Scotlands second best player these days.  How things change!

If Clarke keeps the same defence to keep it solid he has to put mctominy in the midfield. Him and Gilmore should be definite starters and last position for whoever is the form player beside them for  in there 

A very typical performance away from home by a Steve Clarke side last night, resolute in defence and managed to create chances at the other end.  That's when we are at our best, I worry about us when the onus is on us to go and break down teams, especially away from home in the Faroes and Moldova.  Israel at home is a huge match now.

38 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Aye that's our best midfield balance as proven against England and Austria. 

McGregor and Gilmour work really well as a pair and McGinn is a major handful breaking forward with the ball. 

McTominay will slot into the back three again when he's fit or play in midfield when any of those three are missing. 

55 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Think that three in midfield is our best option - Gilmour, Potatohead & McGregor.  I think those three are going to give most midfields in Europe a challenge.  

Hysterical nonsense!

scraping 1-0’s against European minnows and there’s talk about mingling with the best in Europe! 

Was only a few weeks ago that Croatia absolutely ruined the Scottish engine room. Fickle fitba fans min 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Poodler said:

Hysterical nonsense!

scraping 1-0’s against European minnows and there’s talk about mingling with the best in Europe! 

Was only a few weeks ago that Croatia absolutely ruined the Scottish engine room. Fickle fitba fans min 

that wasnt the midfield 3 against Croatia though. 

15 minutes ago, Poodler said:

Hysterical nonsense!

You are taking my comments miles out of context! I did say 'most midfields'!  Croatia had Modric, Kovacic and Brozovic in there.  That might be the best central midfield in Europe?  They'd certainly be in the conversation!  We missed Gilmour against Croatia certainly and the other two were chasing shadows to be fair!

When those three Scotland players are playing I'd absolutely stand by my comment that 'I think those three are going to give most midfields in Europe a challenge.'  As others have said, it's well balanced - and has worked really well on occasion.  I'm certainly not saying Scotland are going to be taking the game to Europes elite!  I just think we can compete with most midfields man-for-man.

On balance, other than left back, it's the strongest area in our team.... we're obviously very lacking in other areas, to say the least!

It's such a huge result.

A win against Israel means we would only need a maximum of five points from Faroes A, Moldova A and Denmark H

A draw against Israel would still be decent as it would still require Israel to win 3/3 OR Austria to win 4/4 to make us sweat and need a result off Denmark.

It takes a fuck up of epic proportions to not seal a playoff place and winning the next 3 will see us seeded for the playoff semi final.

17 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

It's such a huge result.

A win against Israel means we would only need a maximum of five points from Faroes A, Moldova A and Denmark H

A draw against Israel would still be decent as it would still require Israel to win 3/3 OR Austria to win 4/4 to make us sweat and need a result off Denmark.

It takes a fuck up of epic proportions to not seal a playoff place and winning the next 3 will see us seeded for the playoff semi final.

A maximum?

So if we get 6, 7 or 9 points we are out? Fuck

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Was thinking that last night. Not sure where he plays. I think he’s better than McGinn but he’s the golden boy of the team. Gilmour and McGregor are better players for me than McGinn.

McGinn off the striker and the other 3 in midfield, maybe? 

I like McGinn in that role. He picks up second balls brilliantly and is a real goal threat. 

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

McGinn off the striker and the other 3 in midfield, maybe? 

I like McGinn in that role. He picks up second balls brilliantly and is a real goal threat. 

For the next 3 games we should be sticking with 2 strikers. Israel are ok going forward but defence looks a bit ropey we definitely shouldn’t be playing 1 up front to them at home. 

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

It's such a huge result.

Steve Clarke - "Hold My Beer" 

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

It's such a huge result.

Keegan style, would bloody love the fuck up to happen. Just so dons fans can stop going on about loving McGregor and Patterson 

mon I jews

33 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

It's such a huge result.

Fatal flaw in your logic that your factoring in a win against Israel. That is not a forgone conclusion.

Essentially you're saying we need 8 points out of 12 (including the Israel game and if you factor Denmark are breezing past everyone, its 8 points out of 9 from Israel, Moldova and Faroes.

A draw and we'll likely need to beat Denmark.

Fit aboot if Isreal beat us. We'll be fucked with very little chance of recovering 2nd spot

4 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Fatal flaw in your logic that your factoring in a win against Israel. That is not a forgone conclusion.

Essentially you're saying we need 8 points out of 12 (including the Israel game and if you factor Denmark are breezing past everyone, its 8 points out of 9 from Israel, Moldova and Faroes.

Fit aboot if Isreal beat us. We'll be fucked with very little chance of recovering 2nd spot

If Israel beat us at home then we dont deserve to be anywhere near the play offs. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

How are we going to get 8 points from 3 games?

The Danes and Israelis both hitting 5, in past games, Scotland scraping through tap ins and a penalty.    
Bring back lupy lee the griff, he wouldn’t miss sitters like Scotland has these past few games.      Danes are miles ahead of Scotland as far as talent is concerned, and look at the size of Denmark in area compared to Scotland. 
Something is missing in the Scottish method of growing talent. 
Israel  well that’s another one, Scotland struggles every time they play tiny Israel.      

The Faroes  did well against the Danes.   Scotland may struggle against them. 
Moldovia away another game Scotland could draw or lose.  Unless they find a striker like griffiths.   Which they don’t have. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

A maximum?

So if we get 6, 7 or 9 points we are out? Fuck

Aye. We would need a maximum of 5 points to progess assuming Austria win 4/4 and/or Israel win 3/3. If they didn't do that, which they probably won't based on form to date, then we'll need less.

14 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

The Danes and Israelis both hitting 5, in past games, Scotland scraping through tap ins and a penalty.    
Bring back lupy lee the griff, he wouldn’t miss sitters like Scotland has these past few games.      Danes are miles ahead of Scotland as far as talent is concerned, and look at the size of Denmark in area compared to Scotland. 
Israel  well that’s another one, Scotland struggles every time they play tiny Israel.      

Moldovia away another game Scotland could draw or lose.  Unless they find a striker like griffiths.   Which they don’t have. 

Tiny Israel?

They have nearly double our population..

14 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

What is the relevance of the area? 

Why am I replying

• Haha 2