Scotland vs Denmark, Moldova & Austria

Guest milne_afc
6 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Cracking player for Liverpool

Yip, but his media savvy persona and little bent shot accent are the pits.

I fucking despise him, and if he was genuinely as good as we’re told, his performance level would rise above Clarke’s(and other Scotland managers) dreariness.

Tierney is the superior full back.

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He can't win though with some people. 

Folk slagged him for picking O'Donnell 

Or an Englishman in Palmer. 

So then he picks a young Scottish right back and gets slagged for that as well. 

For every person slagging him picking Tierney and Robertson there'd be someone else having a go of one of them was sat on the bench. 

So he is trying to find solutions and bring through a younger group. Bottom line though is that results in the last year haven't been good and if that continues something will have to give. 

The people that were slagging Paterson are just absolute fuckwits. Namely Celtic fans who can’t take their pathetic tribal attitude out their thick skulls to support a Rangers player. 

Paterson is young and he will make mistakes. I’m happy he is given a chance. Did he make mistakes last night? Yes. Was he instrumental in the goal? Yes. I enjoyed watching him and I hope Ramsay and him are fighting it out going forward. That way O’Donnell can sod off. 

We were awful in front of goal but the performance was actually ok. Gilmour looks class. 

We loved to be doom merchants and I’m not convinced by Clarke but I like that he has given some of the young lads a chance. That includes Nisbet who was average last night but again he’s young. 

7 minutes ago, scottymc said:

The people that were slagging Paterson are just absolute fuckwits. Namely Celtic fans who can’t take their pathetic tribal attitude out their thick skulls to support a Rangers player. 

Paterson is young and he will make mistakes. I’m happy he is given a chance. Did he make mistakes last night? Yes. Was he instrumental in the goal? Yes. I enjoyed watching him and I hope Ramsay and him are fighting it out going forward. That way O’Donnell can sod off. 

We were awful in front of goal but the performance was actually ok. Gilmour looks class. 

We loved to be doom merchants and I’m not convinced by Clarke but I like that he has given some of the young lads a chance. That includes Nisbet who was average last night but again he’s young. 

Totally agree. 

It's a balancing act between renewing the squad with a younger group so you can hopefully go on to have a good few years together and getting results in the short term while you do that.

He's trying to get the younger players in which is fine but isn't getting the results so will be always be under pressure.

But it's better than watching a group of guys in their 30s getting beat by the same teams anyway which used to happen under previous management. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

As shite as we've been, he qualified for a major tournament so that's why he got a contract extension. 

Something other managers also got despite not qualifying. 

Clarke is no better or worse than most that have came before him in recent decades.  

Aye but it’s easy to forget we finished about 40 points off Belgium and Russia in our actual euro qualifying group and lost 3-0 to Kazakhstan in the process. 

we didn’t win either of our play off games in 90 minutes, which we qualified for while McLeish was manager. Managed to beat israel 3-2 at hampden in that process 

7 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye but it’s easy to forget we finished about 40 points off Belgium and Russia in our actual euro qualifying group and lost 3-0 to Kazakhstan in the process. 

we didn’t win either of our play off games in 90 minutes, which we qualified for while McLeish was manager. Managed to beat israel 3-2 at hampden in that process 

We squeaked through the back door to qualify. No doubt about it.  I don't think anyone would pretend otherwise. 

The decline has been in place for decades really though and each manager has tended to inherit a tougher ranking position. 

His job is to do the best he can in the period he's in charge. 

For me that comes down to two things. 

1. Qualifying for major tournaments.  Or if you can't do that at least manage to get the ranking up a level. 

2. Being aware that you have a responsibility for renewing the squad with younger players to keep things evolving so we don't end up with an old team that are shite anyway. 

Clarke has plenty of faults, just like his predecessors did, but this must be our youngest group in a long time and I think that gives you some hope for the future. Might need to be the next guy that takes that group forward though and bears the fruit, time will tell. 

3 minutes ago, BitWait said:

Clarke should be doing better with the players he has at his disposal . We need a striker , I hope he perseveres with Adams , looks most likely out of the ones we have to turn good.

It's been decades since a young Scottish forward came through where you thought here's the real deal. Some half decent forwards in that time and a lot of duffers, as well as a fair few appropriated from other countries. 

Shocking really. 

I disagree that Tierney is a better defender than Robertson; Tierney has been accountable for most of the goals we’ve conceded recently and is targeted by others in the air the way McInnes used to target him. Also granted that’s pretty much the first time I’ve seen Patterson, but he’s also a far weaker defender than O’Donnell. There were plenty of laughable moments from Patterson but the one in the second half when the left side Moldovan player ran half the pitch unchallenged before he reacted was particular abysmal - if O’Donnell had delivered the performance Patterson did yesterday he would have been savaged today.

That said I agree with the principle that a national team manager also has the responsibility to develop and enhance the squad as well as look to qualify and Clarke has show limited signs of this. However his limited signs are still well in advance of pretty much every manager since Roxburgh (Vogts possibly excluded); and in my view this is the real reason we’re in a mess. All other nations that have been where we have and bounced back have done so on the back of a manager putting their country before themselves or being given time to implement something. Note that Denmark subbed on a 19 year old against us, whilst we get excited about how young Lewis Ferguson and David Turnbull are-both are rightly in the squad but should have been years ago!

7 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

So then he picks a young Scottish right back and gets slagged for that as well. 

A young Scottish right back who has started less than 10 games at senior level.

Of course he should be slagged for that.

It'a an utterly retarded decision forced on him by hun weegia.

FFS min.

5 hours ago, scottymc said:

Nope.

The fuckwits are those who are happy to have a hyped kid who has  barely played 1st team football go straight into a starting slot for Scotland.

All my friends are Dons fans, and they have equally berated the decision to have a completely UNTRIED player go straight into the national team for no other reason than:
The hun spunkfest - picked up by the compliant fucktard weegie media.

Fuck all to do with Tims.

Basic understanding and acknowledgement of the situation would render such prejudicial imbecility null and void.

I'm sure you are not a hun, but that is certainly the flawed and delusional argument that an orc would present.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

FFS min.

Nope.

The fuckwits are those who are happy to have a hyped kid who has  barely played 1st team football go straight into a starting slot for Scotland.

All my friends are Dons fans, and they have equally berated the decision to have a completely UNTRIED player go straight into the national team for no other reason than:
The hun spunkfest - picked up by the compliant fucktard weegie media.

Fuck all to do with Tims.

Basic understanding and acknowledgement of the situation would render such prejudicial imbecility null and void.

I'm sure you are not a hun, but that is certainly the flawed and delusional argument that an orc would present.

Definitely not a rangers fan.

Let’s be honest about Paterson. Is it too early for him? Probably. He needs more 1st team games which he won’t get with Tavernier in front of him.

But it’s not like we are blessed with right backs. It’s a massive problem for the national team. Calvin Ramsay has potential but is also young and inexperienced. You could argue both of them shouldn’t be anywhere near the full national team but we can’t afford that luxury. 

As far as I’m concerned Paterson has potential and I’m not going to slate him for his inexperience He effectively made that goal himself last night. He also made quite a few simple errors.

12 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

FFS min.

To be fair to him, he's the manager least likely to bow to the Huns or Celtic. Otherwise Turnbull and Scott Wright would be starting. 

And the same folk slagging him for picking an inexperienced Patterson want him to pick Ramsay instead who's had about the same number of domestic appearances. 

And these are the same people who said he was too loyal to O'Donnell. 

2 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

FFS min.

Patterson has been interest of bids from Everton. Who knows the value…

but meanwhile, O’Donnell ran down his contract at Killie and not a single team came in for him. So he moved to motherwell cause it was on his door step. Signed a short term deal, still no one came in for him, so signed up longer. That’s who Patterson is competing with. 

Patterson getting a game is completely ok at right back. Scotland are shite. You pick the best players you have 

edit - I see I am too late for this post ?

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Is he any better than Ramsay though?

Yes he is for now. But the difference is marginal and Ramsay right now has the advantage of being guaranteed a game week in week out. 

Sevco might have to make a decision on playing Patterson ahead of Tavernier very soon. Tavernier holds the aces at present as he's also club captain but there is no doubt he's hindering Patterson's progress. I actually think they'd have preferred to have received a bid for Tavernier in August rather than Patterson.

7 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Paterson is 10 times the player of SOD. Clarke should be picking him. 

Just cause he's a hun bastard doesn't mean you have to pretend he's not a good player. 

He wasn’t good on Saturday. Have a feeling people decided he was brilliant before the game even started.

Done well for the goal but he struggled big time apart from that.

6 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Yes he is for now. But the difference is marginal and Ramsay right now has the advantage of being guaranteed a game week in week out. 

6 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

At the moment, probably. 

Honestly guys, I just don’t see it on this years performances. Last year yes, this year, for me Ramsay has surpassed Patterson.

44 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Honestly guys, I just don’t see it on this years performances. Last year yes, this year, for me Ramsay has surpassed Patterson.

Hard to judge given the hun has barely played.  Scotland shouldn't be picking players that are sitting on the bench every week

38 minutes ago, NEM said:

Hard to judge given the hun has barely played.  Scotland shouldn't be picking players that are sitting on the bench every week

Totally agree

33 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I think it's close

Possibly, but the point is we should be playing players in their natural position and should be playing players on current form.

Having no natural RB / RWB against Denmark and playing someone with limited game time this year against Moldova is just not good enough.

1 minute ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

It was good enough to create the only bit of play that got us our winning goal. 

All I'm saying.

Settle, he anticipated to press and win the ball, but his shot was a sclaff and we were extremely fortunate to get the goal.

Overall, his game was poor, probably as a result of not being match sharp

4 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

It was good enough to create the only bit of play that got us our winning goal. 

All I'm saying.

One good run and scuffed shot didn’t make him a good player. He was pretty garbage apart from that. His passing was awful and defending was suspect to. 

25 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Who in the squad should have played right wing back instead of Patterson on Saturday? 

Ahh, selecting only those in the squad. That’s a problem.

Keeping the red tinted specs off, surely Tony Ralston was more deserving than Patterson going by form this year.

played for the Scotland U19’s, U20’s and U21’s as well, so is known to the setup

17 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Ahh, selecting only those in the squad. That’s a problem.

Keeping the red tinted specs off, surely Tony Ralston was more deserving than Patterson going by form this year.

played for the Scotland U19’s, U20’s and U21’s as well, so is known to the setup

I was talking about the squad. 

But outside that, you'd rather pick Ralston because he's more experienced than Patterson even though he's clearly a far inferior player? 

I assume then that you were against Gilmour playing against England at the Euros?