David Bates

5 hours ago, Wee Alickie said:

Great that we have another experienced centre half. Not so great is that he's not left footed.

We now have three fit right footed CHs, so there's no balance there.

The only left footed CH we have is long term injured.

I would have liked to see Glass try Campbell at left sided CH after seeing how well he did at left back. He's left footed, tall enough for a CH, good in the air, and a ball winner. He won't get much pitch time covering for midfield so I'd like to see him considered for defence cover as well.

You really think it makes that much of a difference? 

• Upvote 1
Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

As much as the defence is shite & the opposition always get chances to score, they got very little protection from the midfield.

The midfield cut through our midfield like they’re not there half the time. 

Not sure about Bates, but I’d play him next game, no question. 

This is also true. You would think that with us having (what?) half a dozen? Central midfielders on the pitch, that maybe one or two could communicate with the central defence. Problem for me is that nobody wants to take control & it should be a CH doing so. Are they scared to speak up because Brown is there? 

• 3 weeks later...

Probably our m.o.m. by default today. Looked comfortable enough.

Will learn more about how good he actually is in October.

Who partners him is a serious worry though. McCrorie is a bombscare at CH but right now Gallagher is bang out of form. McCrorie probably edges it at the minute purely because he was ok today and bears no responsibility for the saints goal

Thought he was solid & did all you’d ask.

To be fair he had fuck all to do really as St Johnstone were just as shite as we were I thought.

I’d probably play 3 central defenders to see if it stops us conceding so many. 
Change to a 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1 maybe & see if that makes us more dangerous up front too. 

Can’t be worse than what we’re seeing just now. 

Looked ok today. Though didn’t have much really to deal with. Credit to him though, for an emergency signing cover for Considine I think we’ve gotten lucky (on early untested impression at least) but Gallagher is fkn atrocious. Fkn international my hairy arse. Boy is fkn shite. Diamond levels of shite. Yet some were content with him as well.

33 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Bates looked good... but injured already. Typical. 

I would probably go for 3 at the back as we're a total shambles at the moment. That would also allow the full backs to operate a bit further forward. 

Which would be fine but MacKenzie gets a nosebleed when he gets anywhere near the opposition box. He's just not good enough to play as a midfielder.

And Hayes I'm afraid just looks like he's finished.

Then, as you say....Bates got injured. Hopefully just a minor knock and taken off as a precaution but if it's something that's going to keep him out next week then we are down to 2 fit centre halves, one of whom isn't a centre half (or certainly wasn't signed to be one anyway)