David Bates

24 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

He played well last night but not sure we can read into that one performance too much. Livi were dreadful and he had very little defending to do.

He was good against Celtic though, which is a far better measure of his ability. 

Hopefully that's him turned the corner and he keeps it up.

Showed a bit of confidence in terms of moving forward with the ball which was good to see. 

As you say the opposition weren't up to much but hopefully getting a goal as well will help his confidence. 

He's a good age and has got some decent attributes so would be great if he established himself 

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Despite Bates and McCrorie looking good together, I’m still hopeful that Gallagher will come good, which would release Ross into midfield, allowing Ferguson into a more advanced position 

I thought Ferguson was our MOTM last night. Was involved in a lot of the link up play all around the team (Hedges, Watkins, JET, Ramirez, Hayes etc).

McCrorie is our best central defender. The after burners he put on to recover from missing the ball in the second half is an example of much needed pace at the back.

The Gallagher / Bates partnership will be tested against Hibs later in the month. I fear McCrorie will be a huge loss in that one. Might even need to drop Brown back for that one as Gallagher seems more effective in a back 3

2 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

He played well last night but not sure we can read into that one performance too much. Livi were dreadful and he had very little defending to do.

He was good against Celtic though, which is a far better measure of his ability. 

Hopefully that's him turned the corner and he keeps it up.

Said before that his performances have been improving of late. He started showing improvement back at the St Johnstone game where we were in control till he went off.

Hopefully it was him just settling / getting back up to speed and as you say, the corner is turned and we are now seeing some good consistent performances   

2 hours ago, Granite95 said:

IMO I'd look to play a 3 when Gallagher etc are fully fit;

McCrorie, Gallagher, Bates as the centre backs with Ramsay/Mackenzie at wing back either side

Nope, MacKenzie isn't good enough a footballer to play that role. He's a left back who might be able to also play on the left of a back 3........it would be worth a try putting him there alongside Gallagher and Bates and allowing McCrorie to go back into midfield.

31 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Nope, MacKenzie isn't good enough a footballer to play that role. He's a left back who might be able to also play on the left of a back 3........it would be worth a try putting him there alongside Gallagher and Bates and allowing McCrorie to go back into midfield.

Maybe the Briedablec (sp) defender is arriving in Jan, to play that left back or left wing back role, as was suggested in August?

Agree regarding moving McCrorie into midfield, however well he’s doing in central defence. Allows Ferguson to move further forward, or alternatively, we sign a proper no. 10 if he moves on in Jan

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

Maybe the Briedablec (sp) left back is arriving in Jan, to play that role, as was suggested in August?

This won't go down well but I think we're better without McKenzie.  Not sure he's better than Hayes all things considered. 

We need a new left back though in all honesty.  Not the first time in the last ten years we've said that. 

43 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

You do McKenzie a disservice.

He’d be fine in a LWB role, but I think Glass’s preference is 4 at the back

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

You do McKenzie a disservice.

He’d be fine in a LWB role, but I think Glass’s preference is 4 at the back

I definitely don't

He's as horrifically one footed as Hedges is ( something that totally grinds my gears as there really is no need for it if you put in enough practice) but lacks Hedges' ability to at least be able to control the ball with his left foot. As young players, the worst footballer always got lumped into playing in goals. The next worst ones were made full backs. MacKenzie reminds me of that. As Aberdeen1970 says.....we need a new better quality left back.

Having said that, he does have good pace and is strong in challenges. And for his size is decent enough in the air. I'm not convinced he will be with us beyond the contract he has right now but he should be able to make a decent enough living as a functional left back for a lower SPL to mid table Championship side. 

8 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I definitely don't

He's as horrifically one footed as Hedges is ( something that totally grinds my gears as there really is no need for it if you put in enough practice) but lacks Hedges' ability to at least be able to control the ball with his left foot. As young players, the worst footballer always got lumped into playing in goals. The next worst ones were made full backs. MacKenzie reminds me of that. As Aberdeen1970 says.....we need a new better quality left back.

Having said that, he does have good pace and is strong in challenges. And for his size is decent enough in the air. I'm not convinced he will be with us beyond the contract he has right now but he should be able to make a decent enough living as a functional left back for a lower SPL to mid table Championship side. 

Or as a squad player at Aberdeen, which I'd have no issue with 

10 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I definitely don't

Wow, ok, fair enough, you have your views.

I think he's far better than you're making out

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Wow, ok, fair enough, you have your views.

I think he's far better than you're making out

To be fair, you think Gurr is a good player. 

I'm not knocking McKenzie, he's done OK most of the time. He's decent in the tackle and in most defensive situations when he's behind the ball. A useful player to have in the squad. 

But as an attacking full back or wing back he's limited. 

12 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

To be fair, you think Gurr is a good player. 

I'm not knocking McKenzie, he's done OK most of the time. He's decent in the tackle and in most defensive situations when he's behind the ball. A useful player to have in the squad. 

But as an attacking full back or wing back he's limited. 

Again making up pish.

I said other than the Raith Rovers game (where he lost all focus for the goals) he's been decent enough as cover for Ramsey