David Bates

Since we have discussed all matters about Teddy Jenks we can now move onto whether this lad has been a good signing or not. 
He had a reasonable match yesterday but his positioning is still a major concern and he could have helped prevent the goal if he hadn’t switched off his defensive duties.

Overall, he had been a poor signing.

Coming on to a game now. Very few players adjust automatically to new surroundings, team-mates and tactics. Genuinely puts his body on the line most games now. 
His positioning at the goal wasn’t that bad, you can never stop every cross coming in. 
A good signing and might break into the Scotland squad (although there are plenty central defenders already). 

50 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Since we have discussed all matters about Teddy Jenks we can now move onto whether this lad has been a good signing or not. 
He had a reasonable match yesterday but his positioning is still a major concern and he could have helped prevent the goal if he hadn’t switched off his defensive duties.

Overall, he had been a poor signing.

You're trying extremely hard, all credit to you.

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

You're trying extremely hard, all credit to you.

Not at all. Willie Garner (a former central defender) said Bates should be doing better at the goal conceded. 
The lad has picked up better the last few games but I still doubt his concentration levels. It’s probably why the German’s wanted shot of him. He definitely needs to work on that side of his game. 

3 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Not at all. Willie Garner (a former central defender) said Bates should be doing better at the goal conceded. 
The lad has picked up better the last few games but I still doubt his concentration levels. It’s probably why the German’s wanted shot of him. He definitely needs to work on that side of his game. 

Willie Garner speaks a lot of pish, much like yersel.

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Willie Garner speaks a lot of pish, much like yersel.

Willie Garner is a very decent guy. Just tells it the way it is. People like yourself who need mollycoddled and told everything is always okay are hidden from life’s reality. 
Now that’s a good boy, go and speak to your parents about reducing your time on the internet. It’s in your best interest.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Willie Garner is a very decent guy. Just tells it the way it is. People like yourself who need mollycoddled and told everything is always okay are hidden from life’s reality. 
Now that’s a good boy, go and speak to your parents about reducing your time on the internet. It’s in your best interest.

Maybe you should reduce your time on the internet, stop harassing birds on twitter.

20 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Watched it back on RedTV, Garner mentioned nothing about Bates doing better at the goal conceded. You’re making it up lad

? I harass nobody. Only those who are mollycoddled think they are being harassed. Stop embarrassing yourself. 
You have 5 minutes to reply, your parents are going to put you in the bath and put your phone on charge before they make sure you are tucked up in bed for a better sleep tonight as all the smarties you had eaten yesterday kept you up the previous evening. 
Enjoy your sleep minijc, try and not drink before you land on the mattress and remember and brush your teeth.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

? I harass nobody. Only those who are mollycoddled think they are being harassed. Stop embarrassing yourself. 
You have 5 minutes to reply, your parents are going to put you in the bath and put your phone on charge before they make sure you are tucked up in bed for a better sleep tonight as all the smarties you had eaten yesterday kept you up the previous evening. 
Enjoy your sleep minijc, try and not drink before you land on the mattress and remember and brush your teeth.

Your 100s of tweets to the same birds that never reply suggest otherwise.

11 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Watched it back on RedTV, Garner mentioned nothing about Bates doing better at the goal conceded. You’re making it up lad

He mentioned it at half time IIRC

But as others have said, can't see too much Bates did wrong. He got as close to their player as he could have. Who really should have been covered by Hayes given the position it happened in.

6 minutes ago, minijc said:

Your 100s of tweets to the same birds that never reply suggest otherwise.

What an exaggerated small mind you have…you checking me out on Twitter? ? 

I thought it would have been enough for you seeing me on here. 

Any exclusive’s regarding the next transfer window or has no one from Pittodrie replied to your begging letters? 

7 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

What an exaggerated small mind you have…you checking me out on Twitter? ? 

I thought it would have been enough for you seeing me on here. 

Any exclusive’s regarding the next transfer window or has no one from Pittodrie replied to your begging letters? 

I don't beg for info.

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

He mentioned it at half time IIRC

But as others have said, can't see too much Bates did wrong. He got as close to their player as he could have. Who really should have been covered by Hayes given the position it happened in.

To be fair, I didn’t play back the half time chat.

Watching it back, it would be extremely harsh to blame Bates. Of course you want your defenders to stop the cross coming in, but if anything Ojo would be the one in question for laying off Tanser so much

2 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

He did, it could have been after the match. Willie Garner was spot on again.

Debatable, why was he spot on? What should Bates have done better?

Not sure how many games Bates has now played for us, but most of the early ones were poor. Maybe our expectation levels of him were high because our defence was such a shambles and we thought he'd come in and immediately sort it out. Turned out the first few games he was also a shambles. 

Having said that, he has definitely improved in the last two or three matches - possibly due to getting some match fitness, and maybe due to forming a better understanding with McCrorie and getting to know his other team mates.

Jury is still out for me, last couple of games have been against two of the worst teams in the league, so I'm not reading too much into the improved performances and results. Will see how the next few go - for the team and for Bates.

13 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Based on what Sportscene said, rather that your informed opinion from actually being at the game?

I haven’t entertained Sportscene this weekend. I seen it at the time and Willie Garner highlighted it during the RedTV coverage yesterday. Listen to the old players, coaches etc when they talk about player’s positions….you might learn something.

10 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

I haven’t entertained Sportscene this weekend. I seen it at the time and Willie Garner highlighted it during the RedTV coverage yesterday. Listen to the old players, coaches etc when they talk about player’s positions….you might learn something.

So you don’t actually go to the games?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

Not sure how many games Bates has now played for us, but most of the early ones were poor. Maybe our expectation levels of him were high because our defence was such a shambles and we thought he'd come in and immediately sort it out. Turned out the first few games he was also a shambles. 

Having said that, he has definitely improved in the last two or three matches - possibly due to getting some match fitness, and maybe due to forming a better understanding with McCrorie and getting to know his other team mates.

Jury is still out for me, last couple of games have been against two of the worst teams in the league, so I'm not reading too much into the improved performances and results. Will see how the next few go - for the team and for Bates.

He played really well against Celtic too. 3 games on the bounce he's been one of our best players.

• Upvote 1