Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

David Bates

31 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Is it my imagination, or was Bates really good and pretty solid for a couple of months last season?

Around Nov/Dec?

Or did I dream this?

He was decent in the game against The Fermers just before christmas....one of the few clean sheets we had last season. 

Apart from that...meeeeeeeeeeeh. 

11 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Who says you cannot Polish a turd ???

Bates was shite (maybe Warsaw can Polish him), slightly less shite than Gallagher. Who was worse than Ash Taylor on one of his worst days. 
Some on here we’re desperate to see some good in Gallagher.

I think we are always desperate to see good in our players, surely?

9 minutes ago, Millertime said:

I think we are always desperate to see good in our players, surely?

Depends which way you care to view them really.

Most will want this view from beginning & try to be optimistic in a wishful thinking way but some will be more business/realistic like & admit to fk ups/bad decisions earlier & move on.

JG’s clear out has been made a hell of a lot easier & less sympathetic (more business like) because he has been able to bin the previous mangers poor mistakes.

1 hour ago, muttonhumper said:

Is it my imagination, or was Bates really good and pretty solid for a couple of months last season?

Around Nov/Dec?

Or did I dream this?

There was a brief period of time he was playing quite well. Can’t remember who against or who was playing at the back with him

3 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

Dunne, McGrath, Ronan, in that order and we're done with the incomings. Great window

I doubt we're after McGrath now we've signed the lad from County.

Seems we are still waiting for Ronan which is fine as long as we have some backup plans.

Dunne would give cover at LCB but are we then short at RCB if Bates leaves?

43 minutes ago, StevieT1986 said:

Now apparently £200k with £200k in add on and a sell on

Dinnae care about the fee ,  possibly a hefty wage in Aberdeen terms and could be used for others 

appeared to be well down in being considered for a start  or even used as a sub in the team so better for all that he goes 

hope it works out for him 

19 minutes ago, Helmet said:

I doubt we're after McGrath now we've signed the lad from County.

Seems we are still waiting for Ronan which is fine as long as we have some backup plans.

Dunne would give cover at LCB but are we then short at RCB if Bates leaves?

Not really, McCrorie is fine covering RCH (and RB) and at some point soon we'll also have to start throwing Milne in to see how he copes when Stewart is unavailable for whatever reason....obv we won't do it against the arse cheeks or the Edinburgh clubs

However we are still short of numbers in midfield if we do have to move McCrorie back into defence....changed days from only 12 months ago. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Roberto said:

Dunne will defo be coming in.

That is obvious.

Ronan is a non starter IMO.

If we're STILL negotiating with Ronan... he ain't coming. 

Unless I'm wrong and he is. 

History tends to suggest he won't, though. 

9 hours ago, Ke1t said:

If we're STILL negotiating with Ronan... he ain't coming. 

Unless I'm wrong and he is. 

History tends to suggest he won't, though. 

A few comments about it being a non starter and we should have had him by now etc, absolute nonsense. 

Surely if your parent (higher level) club asks you to go to Portugal with them you would go?

He isn't going to say I want to come to Aberdeen before Wolves say they won't need him this season is he? 

Patience. 

• Upvote 2