David Bates

24 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

This guy’s a bit shit isn’t he

Yeah. Caught under the ball for both goals tonight, has also happened in goalscoring scenarios against St Mirren, Celtic and Dundee. 

Seems incapable of reading the flight of a football. 

Still, wasn't a pen. If he stays goalside though, he doesn't need to touch him. He doesn't need to make contact or give the ref a decision. 

I'd say drop him, but nobody to drop him for. Just need to hope he improves as I don't think he's played much football in the last 18 months. 

1 hour ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

Report card to date disappointing must do better

Just looks so uncomfortable and his man marking is non existent 

Very surprised Hamburg rated him as a good player, normally German clubs and players are technically astute 

Don't know what they saw in him

Let's see how he goes

Bear in mind the Hamburg he joined was one of the worst Hamburg sides in their history and they have continued to be utter shite since. 

He just looks gormless and clumsy, constantly getting caught out of position and every mistake he makes seems to result in a goal or a chance.  Stuck with him for the time being though. 

5 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Undecided on young Master Bates. Thought at the stroke of half time he would come good but only he will know if there was a tug at the ‘penalty’. 

I think he has a hold of his shirt for about 0.5 seconds. This then causes Sakala to fall forwards, somehow.

Defintely does he touch Sakala, but it's such a soft soft penalty it's infuriating. I've calmed down since last night but fuck me. 

Not happy. 

I wondered in his first few games if being right footed but getting played on the left of a CH pairing might not have been doing him any favours.

However in the last couple of games he's been on the right hand side of a back 3 and still looks like a calamity could occur at any time. When Gallagher is fit, hopefully sooner rather than later, I think he'll come back in. Just hoping that it's in place of Bates and not to replace Brown in order to push Brown further forward. Bates imo needs a few reserve outings to find his feet and build some confidence

10 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I wondered in his first few games if being right footed but getting played on the left of a CH pairing might not have been doing him any favours.

However in the last couple of games he's been on the right hand side of a back 3 and still looks like a calamity could occur at any time. When Gallagher is fit, hopefully sooner rather than later, I think he'll come back in. Just hoping that it's in place of Bates and not to replace Brown in order to push Brown further forward. Bates imo needs a few reserve outings to find his feet and build some confidence

Problem is that the times Gallagher has looked good when I've seen him in the last few years it's been when he's played centrally in a three. 

Right in a three or right in a two he's been pish. 

4 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I thought Bates would be alright but I'm not really sure why. He always looked very nervous for Rangers against us. Went to the 2nd division in Germany and struggled. Went on loan to Sheffield Wednesday and didn't play. Not very inspiring....

He looked decent when he played for Scotland though, I thought

He didn't play at Sheffield Wednesday due to injury suffered in his very first match. Their manager at the time, Garry Monk, did seem a bit frustrated at the length of time it was taking to heal by the January though.

On loan last season at Cercle Bruges, he played 21 times  ( 19 league and 2 Belgian Cup) out of a possible 37 (34 league and 3 Belgian Cup) matches. 

6 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

Our centre halves of Bates, McRorie and Gallagher are all small for centre halves. None of them can really dominate physically unfortunately. 

We are conceding lots of goals from high balls into our box because of this. I guess we are where we are with our squad, but it does concern me. 

Gallagher is 6 ft 5 

Bates 6ft 4

McCrorie 6 ft 3

Even in the Netherlands, home to the world's tallest population on average, they'd all be considered tall.

I do agree that for their sizes, we are pretty poor at defending aerial challenges

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Gallagher is 6 ft 5 

Bates 6ft 4

McCrorie 6 ft 3

Even in the Netherlands, home to the world's tallest population on average, they'd all be considered tall.

I do agree that for their sizes, we are pretty poor at defending aerial challenges

Fair enough, maybe it is their lack of physicality that makes them look small. 

Love going through Schiphol airport and people watching the tall Dutch females. Seemingly they are a tall nation because as a nation they used to take vitamin b (or d) supplements.