Motherwell 2 - 0 Aberdeen

35 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Aye, it does. Too many mug punters just lap up all the foreign investment with zero thoughts on the ramifications of it.

Cormack is doing it for the love of the club, but the payback there is he wants control in aspects of the footballing departments. Steven Gunn is, along with Glass, his puppet too

A lot of folk aren't ready to have a conversation about whether Cormack, Gunn or Glass know what they are doing yet. 

Personally I think supporters should always hold their club's employees to account.

When is it OK to say 'hang on a minute' in people's minds?'

When we've not won in ten games? Xmas?  Next summer?  

He's had 6 months coaching the team and has brought in ten players as well as extending another 3 or 4.  There shouldn't be glaring holes in the team at this point. It's fair enough to ask questions. 

2 hours ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

Check everyone with their disappointment at Longstaff after a couple of games, just because he's come from an EPL team and scored against Manchester United about 3 years ago.

He's now playing for Aberdeen for a reason.

That reason is because he's a bit shit.

Disagree. He will come good. Everybody will be gutted when he leaves by end of the season. 

55 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

A lot of folk aren't ready to have a conversation about whether Cormack, Gunn or Glass know what they are doing yet. 

Personally I think supporters should always hold their club's employees to account.

He's had 6 months coaching the team and has brought in ten players as well as extending another 3 or 4.  There shouldn't be glaring holes in the team at this point. It's fair enough to ask questions. 

Absolutely.

We are as disorganised as the day he took over. 

There was zero in his CV that made him right to be Aberdeen manager & there’s not been much in the 6 months since to suggest he will be.

15 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Absolutely.

We are as disorganised as the day he took over. 

There was zero in his CV that made him right to be Aberdeen manager & there’s not been much in the 6 months since to suggest he will be.

But Cormack said that us in Scotland really didn’t realise just how good/how much experience Glass has in coaching remember. He’s a vastly experienced manager ?

Glass came out with a very similar line rgds JET. He condescendingly said that the Scottish football fans don’t realise how good a player he really is & we will be very surprised ? also said same rgds Gurr. 
Jenks looks a load of pish in all honesty. Nae sure on Samuels, also Longstaff but think he has most potential.

I just don’t think Glass  knows Scottish football as well as he thinks he does. Cormack certainly doesn’t, as he’s just playing fantasy football with his boyhood club

Both men hint at a certain  (unjustified) arrogance towards Scottish football. Mostly I’m, sure because they have been out of the country so long & they’ve fallen for the English fans views of Scottish football mostly based on the shite finances breeding shite league. Which to an extent is true but it’s not always quite as bad as many think & it takes more than just a couple of £m & snake oil salesman bravado (see arrogance) to make a team really competitive in this league.

I wonder what Scot Brown (probably our most experienced pro) thinks in training & how Glass is setting up the side in terms of tactics. Yes they’re mates but my guess is Brown has a few WTF? Moments to himself 

• Upvote 2
Guest milne_afc
Just now, Roberto said:

I have only just surfaced today. Was a mess.

Spoils a good day, sounds like a cliche but absolutely true. Can’t see me ever going to a run of the mill fixture again. Hope you got wankered and caused a scene.

2 hours ago, Hagi's pubic hair said:

Cmon, I for one am really disappointed by the last few games, but wishing SG out by Christmas is just laughable.
I will give him the season.

I’m not wishing him out. My post was based on Cormacks plan for bigger crowds and European league football and that if it looks like we’re miles off both those objectives he might intervene.

He will more than likely last at least a season though and I will hope that he turns it around in that time. I’m just not seeing many encouraging signs that he will just now.

1 hour ago, Elderadojnr said:

On yesterdays showing I’d suggest otherwise. Out of all the centre midfielders playing yesterday longstaff was by far the worst. Hopefully comes on to a game quickly?

Problem is they’re all similar types of players. There’s not much happening up ahead of them and the only attaching strategy seems to be, get it wide to Ramsay and Mackenzie - so it just goes side to side across the midfield until we get it to one of them. I think Hedges and maybe even Samuels coming back into the team should help the midfielders as they will hopefully offer a bit more movement in front of them.

To me, Longstaff looks very similar to McGeouch in terms of passing the ball about. He might be a good player but baffling why we brought in another central midfielder.

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

As shareholders, season ticket holders, and DNA members, surely you should be allowed an audience with the big cheeses, at least twice a season, irrespective of how shit or good the form is?

At least with Dave, you’ve got a chance of it. Milney wouldn’t even entertain it

4 hours ago, Stoneybloke said:

I agree. There are far too many negative snap judgements about new players. They need a few games to bed in. Even Maddison wasn't an immediate superstar.

You could tell Maddison was a cut above on his debut. 

Longstaff looks decent enough… early days but looks no better than brown, Ferguson, ojo, mccrorie, campbell or mcgeouch who are all decent enough too

I think Longstaff will be pick of the bunch of loan players for sure.

Outside chance that Samuels will be decent(ish) 

Jenks looks to be over rated shite for most part

Gurr looks to be easily the worst of the bunch

That (in my humble opinion) looks to be & likely remain the order of quality in terms of the loan players for the season.

Hope we have an option to escape the loan contracts of the latter two in January & source better.

7 hours ago, Ernie McCracken said:

I'll ignore the embarrassing comment. Don't get me wrong I get what you're saying, and your position is perhaps more noble than mine and others. 

However, it won't make any difference. Yes Glass hasn't been in the job long, but he has already made a catalogue of basic mistakes.   If he'd been here 10 months and made the same amount of mistakes more people would be calling for his head.

If the signs pointed to him laying foundations and perhaps the players needed a bit of time to adapt to want he wanted to implement then maybe more time. 

But all the evidence is that he (and other persons responsible for signings, team selection and tactics), don't have a clue what they're doing. More time won't change that, it will just prolong the agony and cost us financially. 

Yes more time is noble and presents us as being fair and even handed with our managers. But it's also unnecessarily damaging, Cormack made a massive mistake in appointing Glass, is he decisive enough to deal with it or will he compound it?

Who knows, it might not be Glass, he might be Daves puppet - in which case we're in even bigger trouble. 

I just feel if we want to start punting managers every few months because we’ve not won a few games then it’s even harder to get some consistency. Folk wanted change and we got it, nobody said it was going to be easy.

Love Snow Patrol

6 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Struggling to recall ever losing interest in our season as early as this before. Really shite. 

Because we’re not winning every week? This has still been more interesting than the last 3/4 seasons under McInnes, good or bad.

5 hours ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

Put it this way, have we actually signed anyone whose club was desperate to keep them? Nope.

Were we fighting off offers from a multitude of clubs at a decent level for our best players? Nope.

Do we have a rookie manager with zero experience. Yep.

A team of cast offs and has / never beens managed by someone on a work experience assignment. 

Lovely.

This is the market we are in though, we have been signing cast-offs and has/never beens for a long time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. We can’t afford to buy top quality players so there has to be some sort of compromise.

5 hours ago, Stoneybloke said:

I agree. There are far too many negative snap judgements about new players. They need a few games to bed in. Even Maddison wasn't an immediate superstar.

Look how your posting style has changed after getting called out ?

Absolute coward.

1 hour ago, perthshirered said:

Whoever it was that let the Motherwell player walk past him onto a header for their 2nd should be fined a weeks wages. No way should he be picking up a wage for such incompetence. It's fucking basics and they aren't doing their job properly if it's that easy for the opponent.  

Ferguson.

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

You could tell Maddison was a cut above on his debut. 

Longstaff looks decent enough… early days but looks no better than brown, Ferguson, ojo, mccrorie, campbell or mcgeouch who are all decent enough too

Come on.  Tell all our new players since Maddison to kick it 40 feet in the air and control it on their right instep behind their left calf and see how many could do it.  That was a casual favourite in his warm up.

Doesnt necessarily transfer to effectiveness in play.  I accept that.  But ability?  Come on.

2 hours ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

Well we need to stop operating in that market and ditch the practice of taking a punt on players no-one really wants or whose careers are floundering because, well, they're not very good.

We'd be better off investing heavily in our scouting network and youth development. That might take a few seasons to bear fruit but the money we waste on players who clearly aren't good enough to make us the UEFA top 100 team we aspire to be is criminal.

What's weird for me is that we seem to have gone backwards since opening Cormack Park and getting into bed with Atlanta.

It’s Scottish football, the good players won’t come here unless it’s the old firm, none of the rest of us can afford it. Plus it’s dominated by two teams, which players with ambition are coming to teams that will realistically only finish third? 

Do you think we could have signed players like McGinn, Rooney, Robson, Flood, Scott Brown, Goodwillie, May etc in their prime? Never happening. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

It’s Scottish football, the good players won’t come here unless it’s the old firm, none of the rest of us can afford it. Plus it’s dominated by two teams, which players with ambition are coming to teams that will realistically only finish third? 

Do you think we could have signed players like McGinn, Rooney, Robson, Flood, Scott Brown, Goodwillie, May etc in their prime? Never happening. 

That’s why we should be growing our own and investing in the promising younger players. On your list I’d say we saw much of the best of McGinn and Rooney and St Johnstone first time round saw the best of May. Robson, Brown, Flood and Goodwillie all could have been players who moved through AFC and brought in useful capital. Buying has beens and never will be from MLS is clearly not working and I’m not too surprised about that. I’m surprised that so many thought it would. We would be in a better position now if we’d gone for Hendry for all his limitations rather than Jenks as well. There are better options out there than those chosen but I guess you could start with the managerial appointment itself in that equation. 

3 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

A bit like Rooney was, except Rooney regularly got opportunities to score via McGinn, Hayes and I suppose McLean. 

From what I've seen so far this season, Ramirez early in the season aside, is getting fuck all to work with.

Ramirez is decent enough but he needs decent service from the rest of the team. 

Midfield really need to get grip and help the  forward line

Hopefully get Hedges back and Watkins up to speed and the goals will appear

10 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Come on.  Tell all our new players since Maddison to kick it 40 feet in the air and control it on their right instep behind their left calf and see how many could do it.  That was a casual favourite in his warm up.

Doesnt necessarily transfer to effectiveness in play.  I accept that.  But ability?  Come on.

He did that in a game by the touchline next to the South Stand....you can tell fairly quickly the level of player and potential. 

12 minutes ago, True_Don said:

He did that in a game by the touchline next to the South Stand....you can tell fairly quickly the level of player and potential. 

Could tell immediately on his debut when he came on as a sub that he had a higher level of ability than his team mates. His touch/space he made for himself/way he received the ball, the basics, where all a level up from the rest. Reminded me of myself in my playing days.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Simply Red said:

Could tell immediately on his debut when he came on as a sub that he had a higher level of ability than his team mates. His touch/space he made for himself/way he received the ball, the basics, where all a level up from the rest. Reminded me of myself in my playing days.

Haha you must’ve been a similar quality of player to me (and probably everyone else on this forum) - it’s amazing we never made it when you see some of the clowns that do make it.

Maddison looked a class above from day 1 - the ball was glued to his feet and he went past people like they weren’t there. The main problem he had was that most of his teammates weren’t on the same wavelength (and we did have a fairly good lineup at that point).

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Maddison looked a class above from day 1 - the ball was glued to his feet and he went past people like they weren’t there. The main problem he had was that most of his teammates weren’t on the same wavelength (and we did have a fairly good lineup at that point).

His work rate wasn't very good. Think he just thought he was better than everyone else so didn't have to try. Usually only took 1 kick from an opposition player or one pass that a team mate failed to read and he'd throw his arms about and give up for the rest of the game. 

Ryan Christie was far more effective for us. Mental we signed both of them in the same season. Unreal players

• Upvote 2