Motherwell 2 - 0 Aberdeen

1 hour ago, perthshirered said:

Whoever it was that let the Motherwell player walk past him onto a header for their 2nd should be fined a weeks wages. No way should he be picking up a wage for such incompetence. It's fucking basics and they aren't doing their job properly if it's that easy for the opponent.  

Ferguson.

47 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

This is the market we are in though, we have been signing cast-offs and has/never beens for a long time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. We can’t afford to buy top quality players so there has to be some sort of compromise.

Well we need to stop operating in that market and ditch the practice of taking a punt on players no-one really wants or whose careers are floundering because, well, they're not very good.

We'd be better off investing heavily in our scouting network and youth development. That might take a few seasons to bear fruit but the money we waste on players who clearly aren't good enough to make us the UEFA top 100 team we aspire to be is criminal.

What's weird for me is that we seem to have gone backwards since opening Cormack Park and getting into bed with Atlanta.

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

You could tell Maddison was a cut above on his debut. 

Longstaff looks decent enough… early days but looks no better than brown, Ferguson, ojo, mccrorie, campbell or mcgeouch who are all decent enough too

Come on.  Tell all our new players since Maddison to kick it 40 feet in the air and control it on their right instep behind their left calf and see how many could do it.  That was a casual favourite in his warm up.

Doesnt necessarily transfer to effectiveness in play.  I accept that.  But ability?  Come on.

2 hours ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

Well we need to stop operating in that market and ditch the practice of taking a punt on players no-one really wants or whose careers are floundering because, well, they're not very good.

We'd be better off investing heavily in our scouting network and youth development. That might take a few seasons to bear fruit but the money we waste on players who clearly aren't good enough to make us the UEFA top 100 team we aspire to be is criminal.

What's weird for me is that we seem to have gone backwards since opening Cormack Park and getting into bed with Atlanta.

It’s Scottish football, the good players won’t come here unless it’s the old firm, none of the rest of us can afford it. Plus it’s dominated by two teams, which players with ambition are coming to teams that will realistically only finish third? 

Do you think we could have signed players like McGinn, Rooney, Robson, Flood, Scott Brown, Goodwillie, May etc in their prime? Never happening. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

It’s Scottish football, the good players won’t come here unless it’s the old firm, none of the rest of us can afford it. Plus it’s dominated by two teams, which players with ambition are coming to teams that will realistically only finish third? 

Do you think we could have signed players like McGinn, Rooney, Robson, Flood, Scott Brown, Goodwillie, May etc in their prime? Never happening. 

That’s why we should be growing our own and investing in the promising younger players. On your list I’d say we saw much of the best of McGinn and Rooney and St Johnstone first time round saw the best of May. Robson, Brown, Flood and Goodwillie all could have been players who moved through AFC and brought in useful capital. Buying has beens and never will be from MLS is clearly not working and I’m not too surprised about that. I’m surprised that so many thought it would. We would be in a better position now if we’d gone for Hendry for all his limitations rather than Jenks as well. There are better options out there than those chosen but I guess you could start with the managerial appointment itself in that equation. 

3 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

A bit like Rooney was, except Rooney regularly got opportunities to score via McGinn, Hayes and I suppose McLean. 

From what I've seen so far this season, Ramirez early in the season aside, is getting fuck all to work with.

Ramirez is decent enough but he needs decent service from the rest of the team. 

Midfield really need to get grip and help the  forward line

Hopefully get Hedges back and Watkins up to speed and the goals will appear

10 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Come on.  Tell all our new players since Maddison to kick it 40 feet in the air and control it on their right instep behind their left calf and see how many could do it.  That was a casual favourite in his warm up.

Doesnt necessarily transfer to effectiveness in play.  I accept that.  But ability?  Come on.

He did that in a game by the touchline next to the South Stand....you can tell fairly quickly the level of player and potential. 

12 minutes ago, True_Don said:

He did that in a game by the touchline next to the South Stand....you can tell fairly quickly the level of player and potential. 

Could tell immediately on his debut when he came on as a sub that he had a higher level of ability than his team mates. His touch/space he made for himself/way he received the ball, the basics, where all a level up from the rest. Reminded me of myself in my playing days.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Simply Red said:

Could tell immediately on his debut when he came on as a sub that he had a higher level of ability than his team mates. His touch/space he made for himself/way he received the ball, the basics, where all a level up from the rest. Reminded me of myself in my playing days.

Haha you must’ve been a similar quality of player to me (and probably everyone else on this forum) - it’s amazing we never made it when you see some of the clowns that do make it.

Maddison looked a class above from day 1 - the ball was glued to his feet and he went past people like they weren’t there. The main problem he had was that most of his teammates weren’t on the same wavelength (and we did have a fairly good lineup at that point).

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Maddison looked a class above from day 1 - the ball was glued to his feet and he went past people like they weren’t there. The main problem he had was that most of his teammates weren’t on the same wavelength (and we did have a fairly good lineup at that point).

His work rate wasn't very good. Think he just thought he was better than everyone else so didn't have to try. Usually only took 1 kick from an opposition player or one pass that a team mate failed to read and he'd throw his arms about and give up for the rest of the game. 

Ryan Christie was far more effective for us. Mental we signed both of them in the same season. Unreal players

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Scottish Football is shite, agreed, so we need to be looking at how we bring the best quality youngsters in, train them to the highest possible standard, build a decent team with them, then sell them for good money if they fancy a crack at the hallowed EPL or wherever.

Our scouting network appears to be extremely limited to say the least. Plus who was the last decent striker we brought through from youth? Scott Booth?

I watched Quarabag stroll around Pittodrie zipping passes about without panicking or even breaking sweat. That's trained into them from a very young age.

Apologies, gone off on a bit of a tangent there but we'll never compete unless we do something radical.

7 minutes ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

Our scouting network appears to be extremely limited to say the least. Plus who was the last decent striker we brought through from youth? Scott Booth?

Think this is a bigger problem than an AFC one.

Scotland's current strike force is a limited pair of strikers from Australia and England. Oli McBurnie, who is also crap, is the most expensive Scottish striker ever... and is from Yorkshire.

There are no Scottish strikers coming through at all. They don't exist. All kids just want to play in midfield and play easy passes nowadays I think. I blame Pep

Just now, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Scotland's current strike force is a limited pair of strikers from Australia and England. Oli McBurnie, who is also crap, is the most expensive Scottish striker ever... and is from Yorkshire.

There are no Scottish strikers coming through at all. They don't exist. All kids just want to play in midfield and play easy passes nowadays I think. I blame Pep

It's so frustrating. I mean, when a lowly (in ranking terms) team from Azerbaijan can fly over here and absolutely, effortless school us, you know the game's a bogey.

So since the 90s we've tried a few things to compete. Expensive journeymen foreigners, now less expensive journeymen English and Irish players.

What is so difficult about training kids to be good, intelligent footballers? Other countries manage it. Is it our culture?

8 minutes ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

It's so frustrating. I mean, when a lowly (in ranking terms) team from Azerbaijan can fly over here and absolutely, effortless school us, you know the game's a bogey.

So since the 90s we've tried a few things to compete. Expensive journeymen foreigners, now less expensive journeymen English and Irish players.

What is so difficult about training kids to be good, intelligent footballers? Other countries manage it. Is it our culture?

Can't be arsed checking the line up but I think Qarabag are able to buy in some decent players. Think they have a few South Americans and Europeans in their ranks who wouldn't have moved to Baku for nothing. 

I think it is our culture. Think it is poor coaching too, as dazzy deff mentioned recently players are still being rejected for being too small. Thats why Scotland compete well up to under 18 level, we just pick the bruisers. Then it turns out they aren't very good at football and we get battered at under 21 and full international level. It's probably also the fact youth seasons run the same time as the professional season.... when the pitches are looking glorious in June and July and teams can be out playing football and passing the ball on a good surface.... there's hardly any games on. Instead we'll have them playing on a tattie field in December. Maybe thats why we did better on Qarabags pitch...

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Can't be arsed checking the line up but I think Qarabag are able to buy in some decent players. Think they have a few South Americans and Europeans in their ranks who wouldn't have moved to Baku for nothing. 

I think it is our culture. Think it is poor coaching too, as dazzy deff mentioned recently players are still being rejected for being too small. Thats why Scotland compete well up to under 18 level, we just pick the bruisers. Then it turns out they aren't very good at football and we get battered at under 21 and full international level. It's probably also the fact youth seasons run the same time as the professional season.... when the pitches are looking glorious in June and July and teams can be out playing football and passing the ball on a good surface.... there's hardly any games on. Instead we'll have them playing on a tattie field in December. Maybe thats why we did better on Qarabags pitch...

One of the Aberdeen podcasts, think it was ABZ had done a bit of research on that and said that majority of players have been brought in from markets we should be targeting like the Portuguese second division and places like that. None of the players had came from teams that would be out of reach for us, all lower leagues. It's absolutely baffling how long we have pissed about in lower leagues in England and expected to get a competitive team to challenge for trophies. It even annoys me how we have blown about scouting Europe for a couple years and still signed absolutely no-one from that leagues.

• Upvote 1

His work rate wasn't very good. Think he just thought he was better than everyone else so didn't have to try. Usually only took 1 kick from an opposition player or one pass that a team mate failed to read and he'd throw his arms about and give up for the rest of the game. 

Ryan Christie was far more effective for us. Mental we signed both of them in the same season. Unreal players

Correct.

30 minutes ago, slippers said:

One of the Aberdeen podcasts, think it was ABZ had done a bit of research on that and said that majority of players have been brought in from markets we should be targeting like the Portuguese second division and places like that. None of the players had came from teams that would be out of reach for us, all lower leagues. It's absolutely baffling how long we have pissed about in lower leagues in England and expected to get a competitive team to challenge for trophies. It even annoys me how we have blown about scouting Europe for a couple years and still signed absolutely no-one from that leagues.

Can't imagine scouting Europe is particularly cheap either though. A lot of costs associated with that... it's not just going to be a ryanair flight to portugal watching a couple of games then coming home with a couple of bargains who will runt he show.

Even signing Bulgaria internationals from an era when Bulgaria were a right good team didn't work out

Basically there is no answer and Aberdeen will always be shite.

I think one of the problems is that over here we expect all 10 outfield players to be running around like maniacs for the whole game. There’s no room for someone with a bit of skill and creativity to conserve their energy to actually do some creating and scoring - they’ve also got to run around like a maniac or else they get labelled as lazy or not a team player. Also, if the above player tries something and it doesn’t work they get slated. People would rather have some crappy Stevie may / Curtis main type than a GMS or even JET (although he possibly isn’t a good example as he does everything at walking pace which is unecessary)

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Can't imagine scouting Europe is particularly cheap either though. A lot of costs associated with that... it's not just going to be a ryanair flight to portugal watching a couple of games then coming home with a couple of bargains who will runt he show.

Even signing Bulgaria internationals from an era when Bulgaria were a right good team didn't work out

Basically there is no answer and Aberdeen will always be shite.

Recruitment is absolutely terrible and has been for many years. We are signing players like Dylan McGeouch who I bet is on a ridiculous wage for doing very little since his arrival. Im certain we could find better players in other countries and they would potentially not cost as much as these failed players in England on inflated wages. Im not saying it will be easy but I have no doubt it can be done.