Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Motherwell 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Just now, Ernie McCracken said:

So in other words it is all on Glass. McCrorie in centre defence is his decision. 

He picks the team.
Maybe Bates isna fully fit yet? 
One thing’s for sure teams have sussed out that if you play long into MCRorie there’s every chance he’s letting it bounce, and giving soft chances/goals away.

Glass must be able to see this?

3 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

He picks the team.

Then he should play one of the other fit centre defenders.  Oh wait.... 

Like I say, if these were problems that were coming out of left field then I'd be more forgiving, but the majority of the problems are issues that have been easily identified by the fans before they have manifested on the pitch - no hindsight required. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Like I say, if these were problems that were coming out of left field then I'd be more forgiving, but the majority of the problems are issues that have been easily identified by the fans before they have manifested on the pitch - no hindsight required. 

I agree with you Ernie that this was an obvious problem.
Worrying he hasn’t addressed it, though you could say the signing of Bates is an attempt to-he has to play him though.

18 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

He picks the team.
One thing’s for sure teams have sussed out that if you play long into MCRorie there’s every chance he’s letting it bounce, and giving soft chances/goals away.

Glass must be able to see this?

There’s been quite a lot that Glass hasn’t been able to see so far which is starting to get quite concerning.

58 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

The lack of centre halves has been the biggest worry from the very start for me. McRorie was allegedly able to play centre half when he signed but I think it’s very clear now he’s not good enough there. 

Some of the stuff posted on this thread has been pretty embarrassing though. No point wanting change then deciding you don’t have the patience to let a new manager have one season in charge.

• Upvote 6
1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

The lack of centre halves has been the biggest worry from the very start for me. McRorie was allegedly able to play centre half when he signed but I think it’s very clear now he’s not good enough there. 

Some of the stuff posted on this thread has been pretty embarrassing though. No point wanting change then deciding you don’t have the patience to let a new manager have one season in charge.

I'll ignore the embarrassing comment. Don't get me wrong I get what you're saying, and your position is perhaps more noble than mine and others. 

However, it won't make any difference. Yes Glass hasn't been in the job long, but he has already made a catalogue of basic mistakes.   If he'd been here 10 months and made the same amount of mistakes more people would be calling for his head.

If the signs pointed to him laying foundations and perhaps the players needed a bit of time to adapt to want he wanted to implement then maybe more time. 

But all the evidence is that he (and other persons responsible for signings, team selection and tactics), don't have a clue what they're doing. More time won't change that, it will just prolong the agony and cost us financially. 

Yes more time is noble and presents us as being fair and even handed with our managers. But it's also unnecessarily damaging, Cormack made a massive mistake in appointing Glass, is he decisive enough to deal with it or will he compound it?

Who knows, it might not be Glass, he might be Daves puppet - in which case we're in even bigger trouble. 

23 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Yep. 

Glaring problems that need sorted. 6 without a win needs to be rectified ASAP, mind. October is a huge month against the best our league has, and we'll need to improve dramatically. 

He needs a season, though. He also needs to learn. Cormack will be patient, but I don't think fans will. 

Yes, Glass is probably here for the duration, at least for the rest of this season. There has been a catalogue of mistakes, not just by Glass, so it suggests that Cormack is learning on the job as well. To have such a bloated squad, without any clear or consistent plan is strange to say the least, as was the lack of any unloading of fringe players.

3 hours ago, Ernie McCracken said:

So in other words it is all on Glass. McCrorie in centre defence is his decision. Unless Dave is doing a Vladimir Romanov. 

That thought has entered my head too.

The Atlanta tie up needs further scrutiny - how much pressure was put on McInnes to play Gallagher and Ronnie? 

And how much are we paying Newcastle for Longstaff per week, and is that fee dependent on him playing?

8 minutes ago, Stoneybloke said:

Yes, Glass is probably here for the duration, at least for the rest of this season. There has been a catalogue of mistakes, not just by Glass, so it suggests that Cormack is learning on the job as well. To have such a bloated squad, without any clear or consistent plan is strange to say the least, as was the lack of any unloading of fringe players.

I don't think the squad is bloated. It's pretty much the right size for any team up here with a serious intent on winning trophies (or at least qualifying for Europe). Injuries/suspensions etc will occur and you need a squad of a size where you could put out 2 full teams.

The problem we have is that the squad we have is massively unbalanced. Far too many defensive/central midfielders (there's enough of them to man the midfields of 3, nearly 4 teams), not enough (fit) central defenders, not enough pure strikers and not enough creative players, be they wingers or attacking midfielders.

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Yep. 

Glaring problems that need sorted. 6 without a win needs to be rectified ASAP, mind. October is a huge month against the best our league has, and we'll need to improve dramatically. 

He needs a season, though. He also needs to learn. Cormack will be patient, but I don't think fans will. 

Very sensible post sir.

You can do it when you try.

17 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

Struggling to recall ever losing interest in our season as early as this before. Really shite. 

It’s a fair point. I’m not sure if I’ll be wasting much more Saturday afternoons watching a dodgy stream for away matches if this continues, especially with the shite we all endured last season.

Glass getting a very easy ride up till now and especially this weekend, from the media. Has a lot of friends in the various platforms which is helping him - Michael Stewart, Tam McManus etc 

How long before the Red Shed start giving it large to Glass?

20 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Don’t think the problems are with the players. He needs to pick a balanced team. Brown, Longstaff and Ferguson can work if he plays 3 proper attackers in front of them. Instead we had Ojo Watkins and Ramirez as only attacking players. Watkins the only one with pace and ability to create.

I'm pretty sure Longstaff was an attacking midfielder with Newcastle.

Let him play his normal game and I' m sure there will be a big improvement.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ernie McCracken said:

I'll ignore the embarrassing comment. Don't get me wrong I get what you're saying, and your position is perhaps more noble than mine and others. 

However, it won't make any difference. Yes Glass hasn't been in the job long, but he has already made a catalogue of basic mistakes.   If he'd been here 10 months and made the same amount of mistakes more people would be calling for his head.

If the signs pointed to him laying foundations and perhaps the players needed a bit of time to adapt to want he wanted to implement then maybe more time. 

But all the evidence is that he (and other persons responsible for signings, team selection and tactics), don't have a clue what they're doing. More time won't change that, it will just prolong the agony and cost us financially. 

Yes more time is noble and presents us as being fair and even handed with our managers. But it's also unnecessarily damaging, Cormack made a massive mistake in appointing Glass, is he decisive enough to deal with it or will he compound it?

Who knows, it might not be Glass, he might be Daves puppet - in which case we're in even bigger trouble. 

It’s not as if anything that’s unfolding wasn’t expected. 
It’s no surprise when you appoint a rookie with no “proper” managerial experience, who is making basic tactical mistakes, poor signings,  poor team selections and formations, and bizarrely, persisting with those.

Cormacks big aim seems to be to get over 15,000 average crowds / season tickets. He will realise that that is an incredibly tough ask even if we we were winning most weeks and playing extremely exciting football - he will also know it is a complete impossibility if we are losing most weeks. 

also European football will be key in his budgeting plans… if we’re bottom 6 by Christmas these things will be on his mind. Scott Brown in temporary charge for the rest of the season maybe.

31 minutes ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

Check everyone with their disappointment at Longstaff after a couple of games, just because he's come from an EPL team and scored against Manchester United about 3 years ago.

He's now playing for Aberdeen for a reason.

That reason is because he's a bit shit.

I think he’s looked decent.

14 hours ago, Crossbow said:

Could do with one in the dug out who recognised the team’s weaknesses and addressed them and didn’t suggest that failed in Atlanta right backs were ideal for the SPL. The management team at present have either overestimated themselves or underestimated the SPL… or both. 

Wasn’t Russel signed from the England super team to teach these numpties how to score goals.   He’s not having great success. 

1 hour ago, Simply Red said:

Does it?

yawn

Aye, it does. Too many mug punters just lap up all the foreign investment with zero thoughts on the ramifications of it.

Cormack is doing it for the love of the club, but the payback there is he wants control in aspects of the footballing departments. Steven Gunn is, along with Glass, his puppet too

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

also European football will be key in his budgeting plans… if we’re bottom 6 by Christmas these things will be on his mind. Scott Brown in temporary charge for the rest of the season maybe.

Cmon, I for one am really disappointed by the last few games, but wishing SG out by Christmas is just laughable.
I will give him the season.