Motherwell 2 - 0 Aberdeen

17 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye but the issue at hand was whether Aberdeen had players at their peak during McInnes ' reign or not. Not who signed them. 

That's not what I responded to though was it?

I was responding to a post referring to whoever got them was incredible

So it was, who signed them

17 hours ago, Millertime said:

Yep and for him to be able to get them was incredible

The problem is being able to do it again 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

That's not what I responded to though was it?

I was responding to a post referring to whoever got them was incredible

So it was, who signed them

Aye. Another tangent. 

Anyway..... 

Both Hayes and McGinn extended under McInnes when they could have moved on. 

Logan was league right back of the year a few times. 

Rooney scored almost a hundred goals. 

You were a bit disingenuous regarding giving McInnes no credit for the performance of these players. 

Crediting Anderson for Logan's performances was a complete attempt to not to give McInnes any credit. 

You could also argue that we got a few of Shinnie's prime years as well. 

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. Another tangent. 

Yes, you are the one going off on a tangent from the discussion point

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Both Hayes and McGinn extended under McInnes when they could have moved on. 

Logan was league right back of the year a few times. 

Rooney scored almost a hundred goals. 

You were a bit disingenuous regarding giving McInnes no credit for the performance of these players. 

Crediting Anderson for Logan's performances was a complete attempt to not to give McInnes any credit. 

You could also argue that we got a few of Shinnie's prime years as well. 

Logans first game at right back in the semi against St Johnstone he was all over the place and it was purely down to Anderson’s marshalling and coaching of Logan through the game. Of course, I can accept that it could have been down to being pitched straight in, but he was raw when he signed and improved (which I acknowledged)

McInness was very fortunate to get the prime years of Hayes and McGinn and indeed also Shinnie (who was signed on a pre-contract to replace Considine, yet Considine put in a player of the year performance prior to Shinnie coming on board). Worked out well as Shinnie was a driving energy in the middle of the park.

All very valid points and worthy of discussion, just not the topic that was being dressed ?

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Logans first game at right back in the semi against St Johnstone he was all over the place and it was purely down to Anderson’s marshalling and coaching of Logan through the game. Of course, I can accept that it could have been down to being pitched straight in, but he was raw when he signed and improved (which I acknowledged)

McInness was very fortunate to get the prime years of Hayes and McGinn and indeed also Shinnie (who was signed on a pre-contract to replace Considine, yet Considine put in a player of the year performance prior to Shinnie coming on board). Worked out well as Shinnie was a driving energy in the middle of the park.

All very valid points and worthy of discussion, just not the topic that was being dressed ?

So Logan was only voted the best right back in the Scottish game 2 or 3 times because Russell helped him through his debut? 

And it was nothing to do with Mcinnes? 

Aye ok min.   Complete shite. 

Trying too hard to knock McInnes here.  There's plenty of valid stuff to beat him with without making stuff up. 

He signed some complete shite but he also signed some good players, some of which at or around their peak years who did a good job for him. 

13 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

This

This is why you're on block

One of 2 things is happening here

Either you are trolling, in which case I'm not interested in what you have to say or you are serious, in which case I certainly have no interest in what you have to say

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

So Logan was only voted the best right back in the Scottish game 2 or 3 times because Russell helped him through his debut? 

And it was nothing to do with Mcinnes? 

Aye ok min.   Complete shite. 

Trying too hard to knock McInnes here.  There's plenty of valid stuff to beat him with without making stuff up. 

He signed some complete shite but he also signed some good players, some of which at or around their peak years who did a good job for him. 

Ffs min, keep with the script.

1. You made a post about the 4 player prime being at Aberdeen. I didn’t feel the need to comment on your post as it was a fine enough comment.

2. MT made a comment about it being incredible McInness got them. It was a tangent to your point I agree.  I challenged his point, because he didn’t sign them.

3. I’ve said plenty of times, I was a McInnes supporter, thought he did a great job for the club given where we had been. I even backed him against the growing calls to give him the dunt for a long time, until it became clear he no longer showed the desire, ability or nous to implement the needed change. 

Please, just because I talk about a different point or tangent to the one you are making, that’s ok, no need to try and redirect

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Millertime said:

This

This is why you're on block

One of 2 things is happening here

Either you are trolling, in which case I'm not interested in what you have to say or you are serious, in which case I certainly have no interest in what you have to say

I’m clearly not on block and as above, I just called you out for citing Hayes and McGinn as McInnes signings

Just now, afc1903mad said:

Ffs min, keep with the script.

1. You made a post about the 4 player prime being at Aberdeen. I didn’t feel the need to comment on your post as it was a fine enough comment.

2. MT made a comment about it being incredible McInness got them. It was a tangent to your point I agree.  I challenged his point, because he didn’t sign them.

3. I’ve said plenty of times, I was a McInnes supporter, thought he did a great job for the club given where we had been. I even backed him against the growing calls to give him the dunt for a long time, until it became clear he no longer showed the desire, ability or nous to implement the needed change. 

Please, just because I talk about a different point or tangent to the one you are making, that’s ok, no need to try and redirect

And your stuff about McInnes being lucky with Shinnie just can't be taken seriously min.

You're at it. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Why was he fortunate to get the peak years of Shinnie?  He bloody signed him. 

No, it was great to get the peak years of Shinnie. He was a great signing. Loved him when he was here and yes McInnes signed him. Well done McInness for signing Shinnie.

He didn’t sign Hayes or McGinn though, so surely you can accept it was good fortune that he inherited those players when he came here and can’t be credited for actually getting them.

1 minute ago, afc1903mad said:

No, it was great to get the peak years of Shinnie. He was a great signing. Loved him when he was here and yes McInnes signed him. Well done McInness for signing Shinnie.

He didn’t sign Hayes or McGinn though, so surely you can accept it was good fortune that he inherited those players when he came here and can’t be credited for actually getting them.

I'd say he easily got more out of Hayes than any other manager has. 

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

I'd say he easily got more out of Hayes than any other manager has. 

I’d not disagree with that point.

Youre conflating two issues though and I’ve been trying to keep them separate. How the players performed in their peak years at Aberdeen with who actually signed them.

Two separate points that was being discussed.

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I’d not disagree with that point.

Youre conflating two issues though and I’ve been trying to keep them separate. How the players performed in their peak years at Aberdeen with who actually signed them.

Two separate points that was being discussed.

That's because who signed them is largely irrelevant. 

The important thing is who got the best out of them. 

3 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Deary me, surely not if that was the topic of the post that was being discussed

Good night aberdeen1970.

The topic originated with a comment from BHL saying Aberdeen don't sign players at their peak. Just scroll back. 

You just jumped on Millertime's post coz you're having a wee spat with him at the moment. 

16 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

I'd have to watch it back as my memory may be clouded by the passing of time, and the fact I was pished, but my recollection of the game was that Logan was superb.

22 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Wait, who signed McGinn and Hayes? Answer - Nae McInnes. It was Brown

Logan - a McInnes signing but alike a rabbit caught in headlights when he first played for and and it was Russell Anderson that managed him through the games. He certainly developed whilst here though, but you wonder without Andersons guidance on the pitch whether he would have developed as he had. Hardly worth being put down as an incredible signing to have achieved though 

Rooney - Tried and Tested in Scotland, Hardly a gamble

That’s absolute bollocks, Logan’s debut was the cup semi at tynecastle against at Johnstone and absolutely strolled it. He was excellent from the start but declined rapidly the last few years at AFC.

57 minutes ago, ollie1903 said:

I'd have to watch it back as my memory may be clouded by the passing of time, and the fact I was pished, but my recollection of the game was that Logan was superb.

Aye I'm reading and thinking the same. I have no memory of Logan having a bad game at all. Thought he slotted in well and was an immediate improvement on Shaughnessy who had been playing right back.

I was also absolutely smashed however. Did anyone attend this game sober?

1 hour ago, ollie1903 said:

7 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

That’s absolute bollocks, Logan’s debut was the cup semi at tynecastle against at Johnstone and absolutely strolled it. He was excellent from the start but declined rapidly the last few years at AFC.

2 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye I'm reading and thinking the same. I have no memory of Logan having a bad game at all. Thought he slotted in well and was an immediate improvement on Shaughnessy who had been playing right back.

I was also absolutely smashed however. Did anyone attend this game sober?

Aye the drink must've been flowing well with you guys that day ;)

Yes, we won 4-0, but we were penned back quite a bit from St Johnstone early doors and was hitting on the counter, and scored very much against the run of play. Our first from a poor goalkick from them that could easily have been cleared, the 2nd again from a poor defensive clearance.

Logan's positional sense was pretty poor and it was crucial that we had Anderson's leadership helping him through the game.

Logan did go on to improve over time, I don't disagree with htat 

5 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Aye the drink must've been flowing well with you guys that day ;)

Yes, we won 4-0, but we were penned back quite a bit from St Johnstone early doors and was hitting on the counter, and scored very much against the run of play. Our first from a poor goalkick from them that could easily have been cleared, the 2nd again from a poor defensive clearance.

Logan's positional sense was pretty poor and it was crucial that we had Anderson's leadership helping him through the game.

Logan did go on to improve over time, I don't disagree with htat 

Nope, not having it. Logan strolled that game. You’re talking absolute shit. 

Weird that nobody agrees with you ??‍♂️

Logan wasn’t exactly flawless in that semi , but overall he was good and first impressions were that he was going to be an improvement on what we had before.  Can’t agree that Anderson somehow managed Logan through that game. He had enough on his plate doing his own job.

And it’s a bit of a stretch to say that a goal after about 2 minutes is against the run of play.

On 9/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, afc1903mad said:

Just because the consensus among the fanbase was that Shinnie was signed to replace Considine , that doesn’t mean that’s what McInnes was thinking.  I can’t recall anything McInnes said (or did in his team selection) to back up the view that he wasn’t happy with Considine at left back. 

14 minutes ago, redone said:

Just because the consensus among the fanbase was that Shinnie was signed to replace Considine , that doesn’t mean that’s what McInnes was thinking.  I can’t recall anything McInnes said (or did in his team selection) to back up the view that he wasn’t happy with Considine at left back. 

Aye. If McInnes had wanted to play Shinnie at left back he would have done.  He did that in the early days with Shinnie left back and Hayes left wing and it looked like a good partnership. 

It was inadequacies in midfield that meant Shinnie moved there. And to be fair to McInnes it was one of the few square pegs in round holes that actually really worked. 

But no 'luck' involved whatsoever. All down to the efforts of the player and his manager. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

But no 'luck' involved whatsoever. All down to the efforts of the player and his manager. 

Agree, and I’d no issue with Shinnies midfield role.  But the glaring gap at LB just immediately appeared again.

joking apart I’d love to hear Broonys views on this.  Are we just making this shit up.  My memory is Celtic with a procession of outside right plus a supporting right back (because why would you bother defending) ripping us a new one time and again.