Sign in to follow this  
Captain Caveman

Jamie McGrath

Completely off topic but I still mind the feeling  when the rumours started about Charlie Nicholas.  The whole town was buzzing.  There’s a good interview with him on the club website about the whole move if ye can be arsed..  anyway has McGrath signed yet ?    

1 minute ago, Kiriakov33 said:

Completely off topic but I still mind the feeling  when the rumours started about Charlie Nicholas.  The whole town was buzzing.  There’s a good interview with him on the club website about the whole move if ye can be arsed..  anyway has McGrath signed yet ?    

It was exciting times. Announced officially on the Grampian tv Hogmanay show.

I had a fax message alerting me from Minj’s old man earlier in the day.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

😂😂

Dunno why anyone thought Stevie May was going to be a good signing after he obliterated his knee.

I thought Longstaff was going to be a decent signing. Was quite excited to see an "EPL quality" player at Pittodrie. How fucking wrong I was. Lucky if he's Northern Irish top league quality, let alone one of the top leagues in the world. 

I was exactly the same even disturbed my mate who was allegedly on the 6th tee to tell him the news 

10 hours ago, Kiriakov33 said:

My old man said the same. Proper buzz about the city. 

He says Scott Brown is the closest signing since where he felt like everyone was talking about it. 

19 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

My old man said the same. Proper buzz about the city. 

He says Scott Brown is the closest signing since where he felt like everyone was talking about it. 

27 years old and signed from Arsenal where he was a regular. Then signed a Dutch internationalist a year later to play upfront with him.... I can't even imagine

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

27 years old and signed from Arsenal where he was a regular. Then signed a Dutch internationalist a year later to play upfront with him.... I can't even imagine

Who’d won the European cup the previous season. Changed days and not for the bloody better!

18 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Yeah I know, mental. 

Like us signing Lacazette or something, then signing Weghorst. 

Unfathomable. 

Just read Gillhaus was available cause he lost his place at PSV after they signed Romario 🤣 jesus

amount of goals by Gillhaus and Nicholas isn’t overly impressive. Did they under achieve?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Yeah I know, mental. 

Like us signing Lacazette or something, then signing Weghorst. 

Unfathomable. 

I'd love big Wout Weghorst here.

5 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

He was far from a regular for Arsenal- that's why he wanted to leave.

He was their star signing a few years earlier though.

13 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

Lost his place the season he joined us - season before that though he made 38 appearances in all competitions. Thats a regular in my eyes. 

5 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Just read Gillhaus was available cause he lost his place at PSV after they signed Romario 🤣 jesus

amount of goals by Gillhaus and Nicholas isn’t overly impressive. Did they under achieve?

Probably a higher standard of opposition back then.

15 minutes ago, ShinnieFGS said:

Has anyone spotted McGrath in the city centre yet?

Nope but apparently was looking at houses out in Peterculter!! 😉

42 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

I'm just being a total wikipedia cunt cause I dont remember but it doesnt look that way.... looks like he was only out the team for half a season so left.

Played 46, 44, 53 and 38 games in his full 4 seasons. Thats basically like Aubayang losing his place this season so coming to Aberdeen!

6 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I'm just being a total wikipedia cunt cause I dont remember but it doesnt look that way.... looks like he was only out the team for half a season so left.

Played 46, 44, 53 and 38 games in his full 4 seasons. Thats basically like Aubayang losing his place this season so coming to Aberdeen!

Alan Smith I think would have been their first choice striker at that time

They had Niall Quinn, Merson, Kevin Campbell and Perry Groves all competing with Nicholas to partner him.

My guess is that he was told by George Graham that he'd only play occasionally in future. It was Terry Neill that signed him and Graham I don't think liked the whole Champagne Charlie persona.....Merson would likely have been the one to partner Smith at that time. Of course Merson would fairly quickly become even more of a pisshead than Nicholas....

I still think Arsenal was the wrong choice of club. He went to London for the lifestyle. Liverpool would have made a far more successful player out of him.

Aye. Fell out with George Graham. 

Had the chance to go to Liverpool and Manchester United when he signed for Arsenal but Arsenal offered more cash to him and he wanted to party at Stringfellows and shag page 3 girls. 

And who can blame him. 

Edited by aberdeen1970

1 hour ago, dazzy_deff said:

Lost his place the season he joined us - season before that though he made 38 appearances in all competitions. Thats a regular in my eyes. 

First team regulars generally aren't training with the youth team and miles short of being fit.

He wasn't wanted at Arsenal - maybe as much on his face or playing style not fitting as ability, but we weren't signing their first choice striker.

Imagine afc chat was on the go in the late 80s. The forum in meltdown cause we were signing a guy who hadnt been in the Arsenal team the last couple weeks

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. Fell out with George Graham. 

Had the chance to go to Liverpool and Manchester United when he signed for Arsenal but Arsenal offered more cash to him and he wanted to party at Stringfellows and shag page 3 girls. 

And who can blame him. 

Career more or less ended as a top top striker in 1983, when he left Celtic as he was never the same again, even if we did see glimpses of his former self at Aberdeen. Drink  and London lifestyle did him in. Page 3 burds, Stringfellows etc etc

Billy McNeil wanted him back in summer of 87 but he wanted one last go of it at Arsenal. By the end of the year, when it was clear he’d no future there, Celtic had no dough to re-sign him, and if you read the piece on the AFC website, we were more or less the only avenue that George Graham left open for him. 

Good player but a lot of myth involved and nowhere near any great Dons teams of all time, in my book

Edited by sooth_stander

8 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Career more or less ended as a top top striker in 1983, when he left Celtic as he was never the same again, even if we did see glimpses of his former self at Aberdeen. Drink  and London lifestyle did him in. Page 3 burds, Stringfellows etc etc

Billy McNeil wanted him back in summer of 87 but he wanted one last go of it at Arsenal. By the end of the year, when it was clear he’d no future there, Celtic had no dough to re-sign him, and if you read the piece on the AFC website, we were more or less the only avenue that George Graham left open for him. 

Good player but a lot of myth involved and nowhere near any great Dons teams of all time, in my book

I always wondered when he put his penalty in the top corner against Celtic in the 1990 cup final, did he miss hit it and mean to put it over 🤔🤔

3 minutes ago, thurso said:

I always wondered when he put his penalty in the top corner against Celtic in the 1990 cup final, did he miss hit it and mean to put it over 🤔🤔

I was at a Cove Rangers doo at Ardoe House 5 or so years ago, and he was guest speaker, and I asked him the question “what was going thru your mind as you strode up to take  that penalty, knowing you were returning to your opponent in the summer.”  His answer - “all I was thinking of was my cup final bonus.”

Fair enough

Edited by sooth_stander

9 hours ago, NEM said:

Who’d won the European cup the previous season. Changed days and not for the bloody better!

To think that in the mid 80's we almost signed the great Zbignew Boniek from Juventus. Apparently the deal was agreed until Juventus had a late change of heart. There was a 2 foreigner rule back in those days. Boniek was one of the world's greatest players in the 80's it's basically between him and Lewandowski as to who is the greatest Polish player of all time. 

Changed days right enough. 

On 1/9/2022 at 1:45 PM, Studebaker-90 said:

He’s not operating on the same level as he was last season, and certainly not on the same level as hedges or Ferguson. I don’t think he is the answer, as I’ve said before. 

Shit, we'll only get 1 perfomance in 6, rather than the 1 in 5 we get from Hedges?
Traumatising.

😛

20 hours ago, Tommy said:

It was exciting times. Announced officially on the Grampian tv Hogmanay show.

:hysterical:

4 hours ago, ShinnieFGS said:

Inversnecky cafe....Tattie Soup and a Rowie.

4 hours ago, ShinnieFGS said:

It's dragging on a bit now, thought the pre contract side of it would be done by now

2 hours ago, Shinniesta said:

To think that in the mid 80's we almost signed the great Zbignew Boniek from Juventus. Apparently the deal was agreed until Juventus had a late change of heart. There was a 2 foreigner rule back in those days. Boniek was one of the world's greatest players in the 80's it's basically between him and Lewandowski as to who is the greatest Polish player of all time. 

Changed days right enough. 

Modern fitba is shite!