Sign in to follow this  
Captain Caveman

Jamie McGrath

4 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Aye ok ten caat

Just for your info...brophy is on more than 3k a week at st mirren 

You reckon?

5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

You wouldn’t need to be a Head of Finance at AFC or St Mirren to know that McGrath is probably on £1k a week just now, maybe been offered £1500 a week to stay, and will have offered approx £3k a week by AFC.

At the end of the day, that’s more or less all a footballer thinks of. His wallet. They might mention attraction of playing in Europe and challenging for Cups but it’s all shit. And, it doesn’t really matter to them how shit the manager is and/or the team currently is.

Its THAT simple.

It’s my understanding we didn’t offer either Brophy or GMS a deal last January. Cast your mind back and McInnes changed his tune, after clearly being told his time was up at the end of the season. 

So you’re really just guessing his current wages and the offers he’s weighing up.  Same as the rest of us outwith a select few who are actually involved in the negotiations.

I completely agree with you though that the financial package is pretty much the only factor that matters to the players at our level. But it won’t just be the wages that players consider.  Family circumstances ,and relocation hassle/costs will also come into play. And I’m guessing that like myself, neither you nor any other Dons fans know what other issues have a significant bearing on McGrath’s thinking.

As for Brophy, my recollection is that it was reported in the media  that Brophy rejected offers from us and Hibs and chose St Mirren instead. But I could be wrong on that and , of course , it may well have been wrongly reported in the press.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Aye ok ten caat

Just for your info...brophy is on more than 3k a week at st mirren 

Yep you are correct he's on £4k/wk

Common knowledge 

You mouthy cunt

21 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

You reckon?

No reckoning about it. He was made St Mirrens highest paid player ever when he signed

So much so they had to then give their manager a pay rise to take him above it.....

51 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

You wouldn’t need to be a Head of Finance at AFC or St Mirren to know that McGrath is probably on £1k a week just now, maybe been offered £1500 a week to stay, and will have been offered approx £3k a week by AFC.

At the end of the day, that’s more or less all a footballer thinks of. His wallet. They might mention attraction of playing in Europe and challenging for Cups but it’s all shit. And, it doesn’t really matter to them how shit the manager is and/or the team currently is performing.

Its THAT simple.

It’s my understanding we didn’t offer either Brophy or GMS a deal last January. Cast your mind back and McInnes changed his tune, after clearly being told his time was up at the end of the season. He might have initially mentioned wanting both but clearly got put back in his box, and then the end arrived earlier than scheduled.

I agree with what your saying apart from the fact we did offer gary mackay a contract last season 

9 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

No reckoning about it. He was made St Mirrens highest paid player ever when he signed

So much so they had to then give their manager a pay rise to take him above it.....

And allegedly McGrath is being offered a contract which would make him  their highest paid player ever. 

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

And allegedly McGrath is being offered a contract which would make him  their highest paid player ever. 

If true you'd think he'd sign it. Could be using AFC and Hibs to set his market. 

6 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He won't be signing a new deal with St Mirren

Tbh hibs/dons is his next step! 12/18 months with us then he will hope for top championship/ lower epl interest 

42 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

You reckon?

Yep

common knowledge amongst their support 

22 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Yep you are correct he's on £4k/wk

Common knowledge 

You mouthy cunt

:checkit:

2 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Tbh hibs/dons is his next step! 12/18 months with us then he will hope for top championship/ lower epl interest 

Lolz

16 minutes ago, thurso said:

I agree with what your saying apart from the fact we did offer gary mackay a contract last season 

Desperate measures when we start offering ex Jambo cunts that are closing in on their sixties a contract

57 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

You wouldn’t need to be a Head of Finance at AFC or St Mirren to know that McGrath is probably on £1k a week just now, maybe been offered £1500 a week to stay, and will have been offered approx £3k a week by AFC.

At the end of the day, that’s more or less all a footballer thinks of. His wallet. They might mention attraction of playing in Europe and challenging for Cups but it’s all shit. And, it doesn’t really matter to them how shit the manager is and/or the team currently is performing.

Its THAT simple.

It’s my understanding we didn’t offer either Brophy or GMS a deal last January. Cast your mind back and McInnes changed his tune, after clearly being told his time was up at the end of the season. He might have initially mentioned wanting both but clearly got put back in his box, and then the end arrived earlier than scheduled.

Would disagree with this section at our level. Sergio Ramos rejecting £500k-a-week because he feels he's worth £600k-a-week is a bit different to Jamie McGrath rejecting £3k-a-week in favour of £4k-a-week in Aberdeen. 

Contracts at our level will obviously provide a very comfortable lifestyle but apart from the extremely savvy players, it won't set them up for life.

Career development and longevity will be huge factors to them. Some of that can be a lottery when it comes to injuries but a lot of it can be done by being smart when renewing contracts.  The points I mentioned in my earlier reply will also play a big part to guys like McGrath. Think it does Aberdeen as a club and a city a disservice if you think someone like McGrath would only be here for money alone.

23 minutes ago, minijc said:

He won't be signing a new deal with St Mirren

No I know that. Dons or England.

Never said he would, just that he has been made an offer to make him the highest paid player.

34 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Definitely 

I definitely hope for interest from a lower level epl club, but it isn’t happening. Much the same as for him

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Holy shit. Brophy is on £4k a week? That is pure dead mental, byrawayweemanbut.

So if McGrath is being offered more than that at St Mirren, I suggest to him he takes it. Doubt us or Hibs will, or should, be offereing him that type of wages. Both Brophy or McGrath would have been half decent signing for us but to use up more than £4K a week budget on either?

14 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Holy shit. Brophy is on £4k a week? That is pure dead mental, byrawayweemanbut.

So if McGrath is being offered more than that at St Mirren, I suggest to him he takes it. Doubt us or Hibs will, or should, be offereing him that type of wages. Both Brophy or McGrath would have been half decent signing for us but to use up more than £4K a week budget on either?

He's a current ROI international (getting played. not just making squads). No matter what you think of him as a player, that status does give him a decent bit of leverage when it comes to negotiating a contract

I'm not a massive fan of his and I won't be heartbroken if he does end up elsewhere but considering we have allegedly made an offer to make Hedges our highest paid player (I don't believe for a second he'd be earning more than Brown), who can't get into the Wales squad, I don't think our offer to McGrath would be near to that.  On balance, I'd prefer McGrath on £5k/wk as opposed to Hedges on what? Maybe £7k or so?

Edited by Ten Caat

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Desperate measures when we start offering ex Jambo cunts that are closing in on their sixties a contract

Yep but if you know the boy he will always be gary mackay the Steven part was added on later 

17 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

And probably not Aberdeen FC. 

We'll soon see, Shooftah, we'll soon see.

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

He's a current ROI international (getting played. not just making squads). No matter what you think of him as a player, that status does give him a decent bit of leverage when it comes to negotiating a contract

I'm not a massive fan of his and I won't be heartbroken if he does end up elsewhere but considering we have allegedly made an offer to make Hedges our highest paid player (I don't believe for a second he'd be earning more than Brown), who can't get into the Wales squad, I don't think our offer to McGrath would be near to that.  On balance, I'd prefer McGrath on £5k/wk as opposed to Hedges on what? Maybe £7k or so?

The fact he is a current international also lessens the risk for us in terms of paying a fee for him (if he stays in ROI squad) because we get compensated by Irish FA when he is away on international duty. Especially if they qualify for any tournaments. 

1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

McGrath is definitely coming to Aberdeen 

That’s a definitive statement RJ 

Just now, Redtaz2 said:

It is

2 hours ago, thurso said:

Yep but if you know the boy he will always be gary mackay the Steven part was added on later 

Highland m8s.

Mackay-Steven is surely what he prefers though given it’s the name he’s used for the whole of his adult life? 

6 minutes ago, Redtaz2 said:

Stop that

5 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

It is

You will be proved right or wrong soon 

5 minutes ago, Redtaz2 said:

You will be proved right or wrong soon 

STOP that