Aberdeen 0 - 1 St Johnstone

I would like a ban on playing central midfielders anywhere other than central midfield.

I'd also like to see Watkins get a game up the top and see if he can bring others into play further up the field. Ramirez just stands about waiting for a chance, which there is absolutely a time and a place for, but it's not when the team are playing like this.

Lewis

Ramsay Gallagher Bates McKenzie

Brown Longstaff

Samuels Ferguson JET

Watkins

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I would like a ban on playing central midfielders anywhere other than central midfield.

I'd also like to see Watkins get a game up the top and see if he can bring others into play further up the field. Ramirez just stands about waiting for a chance, which there is absolutely a time and a place for, but it's not when the team are playing like this.

Lewis

Brown Longstaff

Samuels Ferguson JET

Watkins

Is Joe Lewis under any threat?  I realise that he's club captain but he's been a big part of a team that has kept just the one clean sheet this season. I'm not convinced Gary Woods is much better, possibly not as good a shot-stopper but better with the ball at his feet.

5 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Is Joe Lewis under any threat?  I realise that he's club captain but he's been a big part of a team that has kept just the one clean sheet this season. I'm not convinced Gary Woods is much better, possibly not as good a shot-stopper but better with the ball at his feet.

The only attribute that Garry Woods is better than Lewis is his ball distribution, everything else, Lewis is the better keeper

16 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

The only attribute that Garry Woods is better than Lewis is his ball distribution, everything else, Lewis is the better keeper

Do you think there is scope for improvement with Woods?  Otherwise we have Lewis until 2024, have to hope he finds the form of his earlier career at Aberdeen. Tom Ritchie and Blessing Oluyemi are both still very young goalkeepers, hopefully they can continue to improve and push for a first team place.

23 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Do you think there is scope for improvement with Woods?  Otherwise we have Lewis until 2024, have to hope he finds the form of his earlier career at Aberdeen. Tom Ritchie and Blessing Oluyemi are both still very young goalkeepers, hopefully they can continue to improve and push for a first team place.

Woods is there as back-up.

Ritchie is showing well for the development team. It'll be interesting to see how he develops in the coming years as a potential succession for Lewis

Oluyemi is just a young kid, just signed up on his first professional contract. Far too early to consider for the first team

Time to go to 3 at the back for me. McCrorie will cope better in that system.

lewis

McCrorie Gallagher Bates

Ramsay.        Brown   Longstaff       MacKenzie

Watkins

Samuels     Ramirez

Ramirez needs someone to play alongside him, Watkins can link middle to attack and 2 midfielders means they won’t be tripping over one another trying to do the same thing             

1 minute ago, Don_Corleone said:

Time to go to 3 at the back for me. McCrorie will cope better in that system.

lewis

McCrorie Gallagher Bates

Ramsay.        Brown   Longstaff       MacKenzie

Watkins

Samuels     Ramirez

Ramirez needs someone to play alongside him, Watkins can link middle to attack and 2 midfielders means they won’t be tripping over one another trying to do the same thing             

Why would glass go 3 at the back for you?

How does that benefit him?

27 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Why would glass go 3 at the back for you?

How does that benefit him?

I hope he does it for himself.

it benefits him because

1) he has an extra central defender which is good because our defence is a shambles.

2) it allows the young lads to play as proper wing backs not full backs who are expected to be our main source of attack as well as having to defend.

3) it means we have 2 central midfielders rather than 4, so they won’t get in each other’s wat

4) it gives the 2 midfielders more options in front of them to pass to rather than having to go side to side for 90 mins

5) it gives Ramirez a strike partner which he very much needs

6) it puts someone between midfield and attack who is actually capable of taking the ball, turning and driving forward 

There’s 6 ways it benefits him.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Lewis

Brown Longstaff

Samuels Ferguson JET

Watkins

I mean, that’s possibly the stupidest thing I’ve seen posted in a long time. Ramirez just stands about waiting for a chance? He knocks his pan in every game and we give him one chance a game at most. If I was Ramirez I would be fucking suicidal due to the quality of support and service he gets. He needs a strike partner or someone to link the midfield with attack 

3 hours ago, starryfish said:

Why would he be, other than being the “knives out” player so far this season.

6 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I mean, that’s possibly the stupidest thing I’ve seen posted in a long time. Ramirez just stands about waiting for a chance? He knocks his pan in every game and we give him one chance a game at most. If I was Ramirez I would be fucking suicidal due to the quality of support and service he gets. He needs a strike partner or someone to link the midfield with attack 

The stupidest post you’ve seen in a long time is suggesting not starting 5 central midfielders and dropped Ramirez for 1 game to give someone previously proven to link the front 3 together? 

Are you stephen glass?

You think Ramirez should never be dropped?

15 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

The stupidest post you’ve seen in a long time is suggesting not starting 5 central midfielders and dropped Ramirez for 1 game to give someone previously proven to link the front 3 together? 

Are you stephen glass?

You think Ramirez should never be dropped?

The problem with Ramirez, which was identified by the fans when we were linked with him, is that he is of the standard of a decent second choice striker for the squad. 

The clueless management team, who I can only assume overestimated the MLS and/or underestimated the SPFL, thought he was good enough to be the main man. 

It's not Ramirez fault, for me he is performing slightly better than I expected him to do, and is doing a decent job as a stand in striker, which would normally be temporary cover whislt the main man recovers from injury.  

You'd think after 3 strikers leaving the club freeing up budget and Glass signing 13 players, there would be scope to drop him if need be, but there isn't.  Aye but time min. Time. 

40 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I hope he does it for himself.

it benefits him because

1) he has an extra central defender which is good because our defence is a shambles.

2) it allows the young lads to play as proper wing backs not full backs who are expected to be our main source of attack as well as having to defend.

3) it means we have 2 central midfielders rather than 4, so they won’t get in each other’s wat

4) it gives the 2 midfielders more options in front of them to pass to rather than having to go side to side for 90 mins

5) it gives Ramirez a strike partner which he very much needs

6) it puts someone between midfield and attack who is actually capable of taking the ball, turning and driving forward 

There’s 6 ways it benefits him.

I know and I agree with all 6

I was being hilarious re your use of that clichéd "for me" quip

That grates on me almost as much as folk who start a sentence with "listen "

Erm, yes, I AM listening

Thats one of the worst for me (see, that's using it right)

7 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

The problem with Ramirez, which was identified by the fans when we were linked with him, is that he is of the standard of a decent second choice striker for the squad. 

The clueless management team, who I can only assume overestimated the MLS and/or underestimated the SPFL, thought he was good enough to be the main man. 

It's not Ramirez fault, for me he is performing slightly better than I expected him to do, and is doing a decent job as a stand in striker, which would normally be temporary cover whislt the main man recovers from injury.  

You'd think after 3 strikers leaving the club freeing up budget and Glass signing 13 players, there would be scope to drop him if need be, but there isn't.  Aye but time min. Time. 

I like Ramirez so far. 

would just like to see Watkins get a game up front because he would likely drop deeper and bring JET & Samuels into play. On Saturday Ramirez barely got on the ball because the midfield weren’t good enough to find him. 

I reckon he’ll be better when Hedges returns

7 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I like Ramirez so far. 

would just like to see Watkins get a game up front because he would likely drop deeper and bring JET & Samuels into play. On Saturday Ramirez barely got on the ball because the midfield weren’t good enough to find him. 

I reckon he’ll be better when Hedges returns

Yeah he does alright, he seems to be good at getting into good positions in the box (not that it does much good when the ball is being passed about in the centre of midfield all game),  but his finishing has let him down on occasion. 

I didn't disagree with him being signed, just not as the main man. 

He's being unfairly expected to live up to the notion of being the main star striker for Aberdeen. 

4 hours ago, starryfish said:

He absolutely should be under threat but the value and length of his contract means that he's protected to a degree....we can't be having players on £6k/week playing in the reserves. I curse McInnes for giving him that contract. 

Woods is unquestionably better with the ball at his feet. I don't think he's all that far behind Lewis at any other aspect of goalkeeping. They are what they are....bog standard goalkeepers. 

55 minutes ago, Millertime said:

I know and I agree with all 6

I was being hilarious re your use of that clichéd "for me" quip

That grates on me almost as much as folk who start a sentence with "listen "

Erm, yes, I AM listening

Thats one of the worst for me (see, that's using it right)

Gets right on my tits when folk start a sentence with “so”.

I blame Americans. 

• Upvote 1

2-0 St Johnstone but maybe our hit n Hope ‘attackers’ will get lucky with one & keep the score somewhat respectable.

Must be fkn hilarious watching us in training at the moment. Our shite attackers against our shambolic defenders with the midfielders just running about Benny Hill style not knowing who needs help most

2 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Why would he be, other than being the “knives out” player so far this season.

Because he has been an ever present in a defence that has looked less than watertight all season.

In. 

Will be accused of pant pishing but I've got the fear for this game. 

St Johnstone haven't had a good start but they're well organised and are aggressive in their play. They didn't have much possession against the Huns but still caused them a fair few problems. 

We need a win or two in the bank before we start a tough run in October.  Hope we get a reaction.