Aberdeen 0 - 1 St Johnstone

46 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

In. 

Will be accused of pant pishing but I've got the fear for this game. 

St Johnstone haven't had a good start but they're well organised and are aggressive in their play. They didn't have much possession against the Huns but still caused them a fair few problems. 

We need a win or two in the bank before we start a tough run in October.  Hope we get a reaction. 

Stj were decent v rangers but I think they are at a low ebb in terms of quality. 2 0 Aberdeen. 85% possession and 46 attempts at goal. 

Call me a fair weather fan, but I have more or less decided against getting out of my scratcher at 6am on Saturday, driving 380 miles to watch this, then 380 miles back to arrive hame at around midnight, wife calling me a f**king idiot. 

I emptied the shelves of rowies at Asda Portlethen when I came to the Ross County game, so I'm stocked up with heart attack breakfasts until the middle of next month anyway.  

Saying all that, I'm definitely daft enough to change my mind on Friday evening.

11 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Call me a fair weather fan, but I have more or less decided against getting out of my scratcher at 6am on Saturday, driving 380 miles to watch this, then 380 miles back to arrive hame at around midnight, wife calling me a f**king idiot. 

I emptied the shelves of rowies at Asda Portlethen when I came to the Ross County game, so I'm stocked up with heart attack breakfasts until the middle of next month anyway.  

Saying all that, I'm definitely daft enough to change my mind on Friday evening.

Alternatively you could stay at home with the wife all Saturday.

see you at the game then ?

13 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Feels like a pretty big game for Glass, and our season. Up against the sort of stuffy team we've struggled a lot against. 

Be good to see some of this attacking football that's been talked about, be good to start doing that some point soon.

Historically, our games v St Johnstone are the most turgid of all our fixtures.

I'll cream my punts if we show attacking flair v this lot combined with a win.

9 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

In. 

Will be accused of pant pishing but I've got the fear for this game. 

St Johnstone haven't had a good start but they're well organised and are aggressive in their play. They didn't have much possession against the Huns but still caused them a fair few problems. 

We need a win or two in the bank before we start a tough run in October.  Hope we get a reaction. 

Slight understatement. ?

Played 10

Won 0

?

A defeat aligned with the above alone is going to be cunting for Glass to excuse.

17 hours ago, Ernie McCracken said:

The problem with Ramirez, which was identified by the fans when we were linked with him, is that he is of the standard of a decent second choice striker for the squad. 

The clueless management team, who I can only assume overestimated the MLS and/or underestimated the SPFL, thought he was good enough to be the main man. 

It's not Ramirez fault, for me he is performing slightly better than I expected him to do, and is doing a decent job as a stand in striker, which would normally be temporary cover whislt the main man recovers from injury.  

You'd think after 3 strikers leaving the club freeing up budget and Glass signing 13 players, there would be scope to drop him if need be, but there isn't.  Aye but time min. Time. 

I don't disagree that Glass could have used his budget better so that we had the option to drop Ramirez but that's a different debate, and what difference would it make when we don't create any clear cut chances? That's the problem, not Ramirez.

We've already seen if you give him good service he can score. If we can get players in and around him his link up play can be good. The problem is we haven't been doing either the last few games.

Lewis

McCrorie Bates Gallagher

Ramsay Brown Longstaff MacKenzie

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins

For me it's time to change things up a bit. I'd go with 3 at the back to try and shore things up and let Ramsay bomb forward more which is what he's best at. He's our most creative player so we'd be as well try and let him do what he's best at. 

1 minute ago, Andy_123 said:

Lewis

McCrorie Bates Gallagher

Ramsay Brown Longstaff MacKenzie

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins

For me it's time to change things up a bit. I'd go with 3 at the back to try and shore things up and let Ramsay bomb forward more which is what he's best at. He's our most creative player so we'd be as well try and let him do what he's best at. 

Hedges apparently still a couple of weeks away from being ready.

Our problem is no width up front. Therefore relying too much on Ramsey and MacKenzie to provide the crosses to the detriment of their defensive duties. 
Drop Ojo out of there for McLennan or Hedges if fit. Drop Longstaffe/Ferguson for Samuels. Dip Watkins or JET to the number 10 role assisting Ramirez. 
Other teams know we have no cutting edge and most of our possession is at least 30 yards from goal going sideways. 
Lewis

Ramsey Bates Gallagher MacKenzie

Brown

McLennan/Hedges Ferguson/Longstaffe Samuels

Watkins/JET 

Ramirez

19 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

Our problem is no width up front. Therefore relying too much on Ramsey and MacKenzie to provide the crosses to the detriment of their defensive duties. 
Drop Ojo out of there for McLennan or Hedges if fit. Drop Longstaffe/Ferguson for Samuels. Dip Watkins or JET to the number 10 role assisting Ramirez. 
Other teams know we have no cutting edge and most of our possession is at least 30 yards from goal going sideways. 
Lewis

Ramsey Bates Gallagher MacKenzie

Brown

McLennan/Hedges Ferguson/Longstaffe Samuels

Watkins/JET 

Ramirez

4-1-3-1-1

Think it might stifle the full backs getting forward as otherwise if Hedges andSamuels were pushed on in attack, we'd definately be limited on the counter

2 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

I don't disagree that Glass could have used his budget better so that we had the option to drop Ramirez but that's a different debate, and what difference would it make when we don't create any clear cut chances? That's the problem, not Ramirez.

We've already seen if you give him good service he can score. If we can get players in and around him his link up play can be good. The problem is we haven't been doing either the last few games.

That’s a very biased viewpoint in Ramirez’s favour if you ask me. You are completely ignoring all his misses this season also & implying  that he’s finished all the chances created for him.

I seem to remember a good few pretty simple misses & one on one with keeper. Maybe he’s not at the Ojo levels of missing but for a striker he’s had a good few.

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

That’s a very biased viewpoint in Ramirez’s favour if you ask me. You are completely ignoring all his misses this season also & implying  that he’s finished all the chances created for him.

I seem to remember a good few pretty simple misses & one on one with keeper. Maybe he’s not at the Ojo levels of missing but for a striker he’s had a good few.

I haven't implied he's finished every single chance he's had. I've implied that if he gets decent service he can score, and his 5 goals so far are proof of that. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

I haven't implied he's finished every single chance he's had. I've implied that if he gets decent service he can score, and his 5 goals so far are proof of that. 

Depends on how closely you look at it. 
ie. Caliber of opposition & how games were going, how many chances he’s missed to that he’s scored.

compared to Ojo’s stats on above he may look like he’s in Running for golden boot with his 5 goals in 12 or so games but as far as I’m concerned, our selection of ‘strikers’ as a whole is pretty damn shite & Ramirez is only the pick of the bunch because the rest are so dire.

All said though, our attacking weakness doesn’t bother me half as much as our defensive shambles, as I still feel optimistic that there are goals from numerous places in our attacking choices that may yet come. I have very little faith Glass can shore up that spineless shambles at back though.

6 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

He has missed several chances, I'm not even convinced he is this great finisher