Aberdeen 1 - 2 Celtic

1 minute ago, afc1903mad said:

My point earlier about Turnbull whipping the cross in is that he's predominantly a CM for Celtic, so none of our midfield, Sammuels/Hayes, Brown, Ferguson or Longstaff (whoever should have been marking him) had marked him prior to the ball going out for a throw in.

Yes McCrorie could have come wide to cover and try and affect the cross. Maybe he gets there, maybe he doesn't.

Definitely Bates should have got his head to the ball 

Aye I get your point, instead of trotting back, maybe Brown should have gone out to the throw (tracking the CM in Turnbull), quickly tell McKenzie to stay with Turnbull and Brown could have got on Abada.

All split second decisions after MacKenzies mis-control and we seem to get everything wrong!

1 minute ago, DoonTheLine said:

Yep, and the more i look at it the more i see huge problems for us in terms of positioning and communication - I'm amazed Brown wasn't waving arms frantically or screaming for people to get into position.

I just see many people panning MacKenzie but that's the easy, amateur look at the game for me. He did make a mistake but their are other issues at hand in a number of ways. Our response to a quick throw-in has shown to be absolutely hopeless!

Both goals are due to collective errors and a general lack of communication at the back. 

It's not the individual errors that folk are suggesting that's the main issue, it's a deeper issue around organisation and taking responsibility. 

Aye I get your point, instead of trotting back, maybe Brown should have gone out to the throw (tracking the CM in Turnbull), quickly tell McKenzie to stay with Turnbull and Brown could have got on Abada.

All split second decisions after MacKenzies mis-control and we seem to get everything wrong!

Aye but you have to make a decision based on where everyone is at the time. It's too late for McCrorie to get Brown out there, he has to take the responsibility himself. 

Players move around the pitch. It's nae fuzzball

Aye, that probably is how it should have played.

I've never criticised MacKenzie for the miss-control for the throw in. That happens.

He can learn from their second though as there's been a couple of goals conceded by square balls to the back post

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Both goals are due to collective errors and a general lack of communication at the back. 

It's not the individual errors that folk are suggesting that's the main issue, it's a deeper issue around organisation and taking responsibility. 

Totally agree. With a young defence we are likely in for a lot more of it as well without some leaders stepping up and some on field character being shown.

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

You don't think a 6'4" CH should be able to clear a ball that a 5'7" guy chests into the goal?

The second goal, yes, collectively the back 4 could all have done better 

Just now, afc1903mad said:

Aye, that probably is how it should have played.

I've never criticised MacKenzie for the miss-control for the throw in. That happens.

He can learn from their second though as there's been a couple of goals conceded by square balls to the back post

Aye it does, it was a bad touch but everyone has done that, the only blame i have for him is he did seem to switch off after the mis-control (he wasn't even tight on Abada, just in a wee malaise and caught by the throw-in) but so many purely blaming him (not saying you btw) is just not understanding the game or looking into the actual incident. With experience he will collect himself, shout at others to come and support him etc.

The second he is caught sleeping for sure, that's another all around mess - CB's stepping up, Ramsay tucking in with 2 Celtic players behind him, Hayes not tracking a runner when he sees Ramsay tucking in, MacKenzie sleeping.....all our own undoing!

Hopefully the team do the same analysis we just have to eradicate these types of mistakes in the future!

3 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

You don't think a 6'4" CH should be able to clear a ball that a 5'7" guy chests into the goal?

The second goal, yes, collectively the back 4 could all have done better 

I think MacKenzie, McCrorie, Bates, Brown and Samuels could have done better for the first goal. 

So aye, collective errors for both goals. 

A sign of being organised poorly defensively and a lack of communication and responsibility. 

3 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Would have given you a +1 but all out (nae sure how much you get per day)

Its clear we all want the best for Aberdeen. One of us will be wrong for sure and I hope its you as it means we've turned the corner and are getting better results as opposed to slipping down further and having to change it all out again. #NaeYogiHughesOrNeilLennonFFS

This. 
we all hope you are absolutely correct and we can look back at laugh at how we wanted rid of the Scottish cup winning manager (I’d probably settle for final tbh). 

time will tell. 

52 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

He could come and save the day for the Dons. Probably the best signing Glass made this window. Yet to make a mistake. Good on RedTV….a natural.

Glass made a mistake only giving him a 6 month contract - would need a 4 year contract if we want to see him play. More appearances on RedTV than on the pitch in the last 3 years.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, mutant said:

Thought Mcgeouch looked Really good when he came on

Agreed.

4 hours ago, jamiesd said:

i thought Mcgeouch looked good but he also looked far to slow.  Many a time he was nearly caught with the ball

That being the operative word.

In other words, he wasn't.

Time to give him a decent run.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Keeping the ball instead of playing it back to the defence and then hoofing forward is a massive improvement

Yeah fair enough, we hold the ball more. I just don't think we use it well.  Under McInnes it was across the back, the odd ball to midfield, which then went back, then lumped forward. 

At the mo, it's a lot of sideways passes across the back and middle.

4 hours ago, DoonTheLine said:

Just said similar in one of the Glass threads. No surprise we have decent possession as we have decent CM's and we are trying to play out from the back. However it's VERY slow and it's all possession in really areas where teams are comfortable to give us the ball (our own half or just over halfway). I'm all for passing rather than hoofball but it requires tempo and movement to make it worthwhile, otherwise it's essentially pointless.

When it comes to getting in behind teams or breaking down a team who's sitting in(low block for the modern folk ;) ) we really struggle as we don't have much width bar Ramsay bombing forward, Hayes legs are done and Hedges prefers to try and come inside and link up quickly with a striker or attacking midfielder - Ramirez isn't going to work the ball like that and bar maybe Ferguson we don't have anyone trying to get beyond the defence or in the channels.
We are quite easy to set-up against really especially for a lesser side. Get in shape and i'd think we'd have 70% possession and maybe a few shots but very few well created gilt edged chances. Bar a worldie, I wouldn't be worried about us in terms of how we set-up and play, that's very concerning.

Yep. Teams are happy to let us pass it about in front of them, as we don't have a clue how to get a decent ball in behind 

42 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Yeah fair enough, we hold the ball more. I just don't think we use it well.  Under McInnes it was across the back, the odd ball to midfield, which then went back, then lumped forward. 

At the mo, it's a lot of sideways passes across the back and middle.

Can't really argue with that, but it is progression and if we can unlock the creative movement and pass then the job will be very much a good-un.

JET has that vision but lacks the workrate. Hedges has that capability but has been injured / ill. Watkins provide a great link up and could be a good foil for Ramirez, but is injured.

Our goals have come primarily from set plays, so if we get these guys back and more effective then it should see an upturn in our results

4 hours ago, DoonTheLine said:

Just said similar in one of the Glass threads. No surprise we have decent possession as we have decent CM's and we are trying to play out from the back. However it's VERY slow and it's all possession in really areas where teams are comfortable to give us the ball (our own half or just over halfway). I'm all for passing rather than hoofball but it requires tempo and movement to make it worthwhile, otherwise it's essentially pointless.

When it comes to getting in behind teams or breaking down a team who's sitting in(low block for the modern folk ;) ) we really struggle as we don't have much width bar Ramsay bombing forward, Hayes legs are done and Hedges prefers to try and come inside and link up quickly with a striker or attacking midfielder - Ramirez isn't going to work the ball like that and bar maybe Ferguson we don't have anyone trying to get beyond the defence or in the channels.
We are quite easy to set-up against really especially for a lesser side. Get in shape and i'd think we'd have 70% possession and maybe a few shots but very few well created gilt edged chances. Bar a worldie, I wouldn't be worried about us in terms of how we set-up and play, that's very concerning.

Loving your contribution DoonTheLine, long may it continue

• Like 1
2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think MacKenzie, McCrorie, Bates, Brown and Samuels could have done better for the first goal. 

So aye, collective errors for both goals. 

A sign of being organised poorly defensively and a lack of communication and responsibility. 

Enough of the collective nonsense, the goal was 100% Bates's fault. The more I see it the worse it looks.

• Upvote 2