Matty Longstaff

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Apparently we paid a substantial loan fee to Newcastle Utd for him. He seems to have a decent pedigree, done well in the English Premier League, yet not cutting it for us. What is going on?

It's the usual thing. Very few players can match the exacting standards required by Aberdeen. In most cases they actually deteriorate  when they have played s couple of games. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Can we send him back to Newcastle now or are we stick with him until the end of the season?

I thought the deal was for the whole season so it might be difficult to do so without us being liable to cough up the full amount of the loan fees.

On the other hand, Newcastle are bound to have thought they were sending him up with the expectation he would play the majority of games as a starter for a full season, gaining the player much needed experience at a decent level. They cannot be too pleased that he's essentially a bit part player and when we have a full compliment of players available he's well down the pecking order. If Newcastle could arrange a loan for him somewhere else in January (he looks EFL1 level at best tbh)  I'm sure we'd be happy to send him back and let him get game time down south saving ourselves a good few quid into the bargain.

7 hours ago, Granite95 said:

Boy is utterly honking, never seen a "premier league" player look so out of place, hopefully we can get rid ASAP

Utterly fucking useless.

As well as being an absolute fanny.

And a real ugly bastard.

He's as bad a player I've seen play for us in a long, long time.

6 hours ago, NEM said:

Nwkali?

Oh, well, er...

Let's call it a draw.

7 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I thought the deal was for the whole season so it might be difficult to do so without us being liable to cough up the full amount of the loan fees.

On the other hand, Newcastle are bound to have thought they were sending him up with the expectation he would play the majority of games as a starter for a full season, gaining the player much needed experience at a decent level. They cannot be too pleased that he's essentially a bit part player and when we have a full compliment of players available he's well down the pecking order. If Newcastle could arrange a loan for him somewhere else in January (he looks EFL1 level at best tbh)  I'm sure we'd be happy to send him back and let him get game time down south saving ourselves a good few quid into the bargain.

I genuinely think Newcastle weren't bothered where he went in August and with the influx of cash they sure won't be giving two fucks what happens to him in January. 

10 hours ago, don corleone said:

He should be sent back in January irregardless of what the deal is. He offers absolutely nothing to the team. If we have nobody better coming through who could be given a chance then we might aswell give up now. Longstaff is rubbish. 

Isnt that the most frustrating part though. At the point of signing him on loan we had Brown and Ferguson playing in the middle. We had Ojo playing out of position. We had Campbell on the bench. We had Scotland cap Dylan McGeoch absolutely nowhere near the team.

There was no need to sign another central midfielder whatsoever. Especially of his caliber.