Matty Longstaff

10 hours ago, Parklife said:

How to win friends and influence people, the Stephen Glass way: 

"Matty would've liked more game time. We would've liked better performances"

He’s actually bang on though. I imagine the other players think the same. They’ll be shocked just how bad he is in training yet at an EPL club.

1 minute ago, ferlaytio said:

He’s actually bang on though. I imagine the other players think the same. They’ll be shocked just how bad he is in training yet at an EPL club.

I doubt he'll be bad in training. 

Longstaff hasn't been what we hoped, but definitely could be a very decent player at this level, or further IMO. 

Problem is more so that he's vying for positions with the undroppable captain Brown, and the sellable asset in Ferguson. I think he's more a Ferguson type player, which is why he can't get in. 

He came on to a helter skelter game v United and couldn't adjust to the tempo, that happens. Gave away the ball for the corner that lead to the goal, but there were others more culpable for that goal.

Id give him a string of starts to actually see what he can do, has he started more than 3 in a row? Not played much football for the last year, and he's still a young lad, hardly going to come in and set the heather alight unless he's played consistently. 

I think Glass has mismanaged this one, to the surprise of nobody. 

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Longstaff hasn't been what we hoped, but definitely could be a very decent player at this level, or further IMO. 

Problem is more so that he's vying for positions with the undroppable captain Brown, and the sellable asset in Ferguson. I think he's more a Ferguson type player, which is why he can't get in. 

He came on to a helter skelter game v United and couldn't adjust to the tempo, that happens. Gave away the ball for the corner that lead to the goal, but there were others more culpable for that goal.

Id give him a string of starts to actually see what he can do, has he started more than 3 in a row? Not played much football for the last year, and he's still a young lad, hardly going to come in and set the heather alight unless he's played consistently. 

Agree.

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Any player that is on the sidelines, needs to demonstrate that they make a difference when given the opportunity to warrrant a starting place.

I agree with others that whilst he has shown capabilities (his first game being the best), other times he hasn't done enough, with the Utd game being a good example of his impact not being good enough.

could it change with more consistent game time, maybe, but he needs to show he deserves it.

1 minute ago, afc1903mad said:

Any player that is on the sidelines, needs to demonstrate that they make a difference when given the opportunity to warrrant a starting place.

I agree with others that whilst he has shown capabilities (his first game being the best), other times he hasn't done enough, with the Utd game being a good example of his impact not being good enough.

could it change with more consistent game time, but he needs to show he deserves it.

Doesn't go for a lot of other players 

Just now, afc1903mad said:

I'm going to presume you meant "That goes for a lot of other players" in which case I absolutely agree

Nope. I meant that plenty players are unstoppable regardless of form. 

Ferguson being a huge culprit. 

It was tatties for Longstaff when Brown moved into the back three and he couldn't get in ahead of McGeouch in his place. 

Looks to have good technical ability but doesn't look like he really wants to be here in the first place. 

We need to be choosier about our loans  imo if we want to persist with the loan system.  Can't have loads of loan players sitting on their arse every weekend. Doesn't help us, the player or encourage clubs to send their players here. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It was tatties for Longstaff when Brown moved into the back three and he couldn't get in ahead of McGeouch in his place. 

Looks to have good technical ability but doesn't look like he really wants to be here in the first place. 

We need to be choosier about our loans  imo if we want to persist with the loan system.  Can't have loads of loan players sitting on their arse every weekend. Doesn't help us, the player or encourage clubs to send their players here. 

How many useful or successful loans have we had in the last 10 years?

Hit rate of about 1 in 4 is my gut feel. It’s been poor.

Signing folk like Longstaff, Samuels, etc & just having them on the bench is a waste & also puts a block in the way of the development team. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Signing folk like Longstaff, Samuels, etc & just having them on the bench is a waste & also puts a block in the way of the development team. 

I'd rather have one good loan that starts most weeks than three that make virtually no impact whatsoever. 

Some folk will say it allows our youngsters to go out on loan and get more regular games which is fine but the negative impact on our first team squad needs to be balanced with this. 

12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

A list of loan players in the last 10 years would be terrifying. I highly doubt it's as good as 1 in 4

40 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'd rather have one good loan that starts most weeks than three that make virtually no impact whatsoever. 

Some folk will say it allows our youngsters to go out on loan and get more regular games which is fine but the negative impact on our first team squad needs to be balanced with this. 

A loan should only be looked at to improve the first team and be a player we can’t ordinarily afford.

Not to just beef up the squad numbers & sit on the bench. 

I suppose we’d have thought Longstaff might’ve done that, but he’s been a massive disappointment. 

32 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

A loan should only be looked at to improve the first team and be a player we can’t ordinarily afford.

Not to just beef up the squad numbers & sit on the bench. 

I suppose we’d have thought Longstaff might’ve done that, but he’s been a massive disappointment. 

Longstaff would improve an SPFL Premiership first team with a good manager. 

Guarantee Hearts, Hibs, United etc would've loved to have him. 

25 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Longstaff would improve an SPFL Premiership first team with a good manager. 

Guarantee Hearts, Hibs, United etc would've loved to have him. 

I think thats key and ties in with the "heather alight" comment above.  For a number of reasons AFC (or certainly the current Glass variation) cant really afford to take in players of that supposed stature regardless of the percentage deal on the wage if they're then going to be bog ordinary and not even play.  

7 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I think thats key and ties in with the "heather alight" comment above.  For a number of reasons AFC (or certainly the current Glass variation) cant really afford to take in players of that supposed stature regardless of the percentage deal on the wage if they're then going to be bog ordinary and not even play.  

But is he bog ordinary? Or is he being mismanaged? Wouldn't surprise me if he went on to have a really decent career with his spell at us proving to be a minor blip. 

He was brought in, unneeded, and Glass is now acting the cunt. It's on him. 

He's starting to piss me off now. 

The fact is if you play for a club like Aberdeen you are expected to perform from the minute go.

He's murder and quite rightly should be departing come January. Jenks and Samuels have shown glimpses of what they can do but they need to be consistently good and to be candid, they haven't. The question should be asked as to whether they should also have their loans cut short come January.

I'd much prefer to see some youngsters such as Hancock playing ahead of these underperforming loanees from England.

16 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

What have you seen from him that makes you think this?

Watched him a bit at Newcastle, watched him the limited games he's played here. 

The fact Blackburn were chasing him and he chose us is a coup. The fact we don't play him is cringe. 

7 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

The fact is if you play for a club like Aberdeen you are expected to perform from the minute go.

He's murder and quite rightly should be departing come January. Jenks and Samuels have shown glimpses of what they can do but they need to be consistently good and to be candid, they haven't. The question should be asked as to whether they should also have their loans cut short come January.

I'd much prefer to see some youngsters such as Hancock playing ahead of these underperforming loanees from England.

How is he murder? No players have performed this season, Ramsay, Ramirez and MAYBE Brown aside. 

On your own logic we would be changing the team every week. 

The main reason he's not in the team is because he was brought to replace Ferguson, Ferguson never left, but Ferguson is the sellable asset, so will play. It's that simple.