Matty Longstaff

10 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

How is he murder? No players have performed this season, Ramsay, Ramirez and MAYBE Brown aside. 

On your own logic we would be changing the team every week. 

The main reason he's not in the team is because he was brought to replace Ferguson, Ferguson never left, but Ferguson is the sellable asset, so will play. It's that simple. 

The main reason he's not in the team is because he's not good enough. If he was, he'd have forced his way into the side. He's done absolutely nothing in the minutes he has had. 

Maybe he's just not as good as you think he is. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, StandFree1982 said:

The main reason he's not in the team is because he's not good enough. If he was, he'd have forced his way into the side. He's done absolutely nothing in the minutes he has had. 

Plenty players who were given more time for doing less. 

Jenks, a good example. JET played plenty minutes at the start even though it was clear after the second game he wasn't enough. McCrorie, Bates etc have all kept their positions despite being shite. 

Ferguson hasn't been good overall. 

3 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

According to a poor manager who re-signed players like McGinn, Devlin. Signed some fucking proper crap, like Samuels, Jenks, guys who've hardly played first team football if at all. 

Longstaff has around 20 appearances in an elite league, its pure politics why he isn't getting a run of games, but other, far worse, players are. 

17 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Watched him a bit at Newcastle, watched him the limited games he's played here. 

The fact Blackburn were chasing him and he chose us is a coup. The fact we don't play him is cringe. 

Which of his fleeting 14 appearances for Newcastle did you watch?  None apart from the game against Man Utd would be my guess.

Playing someone who's clearly not good enough just because he comes from an EPL team would be a far bigger cringe.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

According to a poor manager who re-signed players like McGinn, Devlin. Signed some fucking proper crap, like Samuels, Jenks, guys who've hardly played first team football if at all. 

Longstaff has around 20 appearances in an elite league, its pure politics why he isn't getting a run of games, but other, far worse, players are. 

Other far worse players are playing in different positions. Brown, Ferguson and McGeouch are all better than Longstaff. Thats all there is to it

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Other far worse players are playing in different positions. Brown, Ferguson and McGeouch are all better than Longstaff. Thats all there is to it

We wouldn't know, he's hardly played 

17 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

How is he murder? No players have performed this season, Ramsay, Ramirez and MAYBE Brown aside. 

On your own logic we would be changing the team every week. 

The main reason he's not in the team is because he was brought to replace Ferguson, Ferguson never left, but Ferguson is the sellable asset, so will play. It's that simple. 

I've no doubt he has ability but clearly he is a young lad severely lacking in confidence. I also believe Glass hasn't managed him well and I thought his comments in the press the other day regarding Longstaff shouldn't have been made public.

Unfortunately, Longstaff was at fault for the goal we lost against Dundee Utd the other week. I felt he could have done more to get back and prevent the shot. The manner in which he lost the ball in the lead up to the goal was frustrating as it really could have been avoided - basic stuff for any footballer.

He's clearly not doing enough in training to get a start which has possibly irked Glass about him. Same may apply for Samuel.

Personally I've been underwhelmed and disappointed given his supposed pedigree and I have to agree with others that terminating his loan in January is the right move. I suspect a different manager might get performances out of him.

13 minutes ago, NEM said:

Which of his fleeting 14 appearances for Newcastle did you watch?  None apart from the game against Man Utd would be my guess.

Playing someone who's clearly not good enough just because he comes from an EPL team would be a far bigger cringe.

But do you trust Glass' opinion on a player? Cause I dinna. 

7 minutes ago, RUL said:

I can't believe anyone has watched Longstaff and thought he was good at any point. He has looked uncomfortable from his debut onwards. 

Having not played regularly for a year, now in a team he didn't know, a place he doesn't know, and a league he doesn't know. 

Can't think why he wouldn't look great. 

12 minutes ago, NEM said:

I've no idea what Glass thinks of him.  I'm judging him on what I've seen - he's shite.

IMO he's not as shite as everyone is saying and Glass digging him out yesterday is brutal. 

If Ferguson is sold in January we might need him, although he'll probs get sold back. 

If Brown or McGeouch are injured good chance we'll see him tonight.  

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

The fact Blackburn were chasing him and he chose us is a coup. The fact we don't play him is cringe. 

Oh wow Blackburn. Sorry didn't know that.

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Blackburn were allegedly after Hedges as well and hes equally as shite

• Upvote 1

Longstaff hasn't been any worse than Jenks or Samuels. All three loans have been abysmal, and certainly the latter two I don't think anyone really knows what position they're meant to play - I get the feeling Glass doesn't know either. 

Longstaff might be okay, but he's struggled to adapt and that could be for a variety of reasons. As others have said the problem is he's competing in an area where we've lots of players, and there are reasons why others are picked ahead of him - Ferguson because we're looking to maximise his value for selling him on, Brown because he's the captain. He's vying with the likes of Ojo, McGeouch and Campbell for a place in the team if a space is available. Glass seems to have a bit of a love in with Ojo for no apparent reasons, although given his lack of support with the sending off that may well be over. Ojo and Campbell have been deployed as cover in other positions. It seems Longstaff is more similar to McGeouch in that he really is only a central midfielder, and isn't going to fill in at right back or left back like others have.

I think it's partly on Longstaff for not showing what he can do (because I assume he isn't as horrendous as we all think), and partly on Glass for mismanaging him. He looks like the kind of guy who needs his confidence built up - Glass' comments will likely just damage it even more.

23 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

Blackburn were allegedly after Hedges as well and hes equally as shite

If you think Hedges is a shite player for us give your head a wobble. 

2 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

When he has played he has looked terrible. You are hardly going to drop the few players who are doing well to give a run of games to a loan player who looks shit when he gets a chance.

Ferguson and Brown are doing well?

7 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

If you think Hedges is a shite player for us give your head a wobble. 

I think he’s the most frustrating player at the club. He has ZERO football intelligence and that sadly can’t be trained. Hedges has ability but his decision making is the worst. It’s abysmal. 

I’d take the £400k in January and get rid. Doubt Blackburn are interested now seeing they’re up there for promotion.

• Upvote 4
7 minutes ago, ferlaytio said:

I think he’s the most frustrating player at the club. He has ZERO football intelligence and that sadly can’t be trained. Hedges has ability but his decision making is the worst. It’s abysmal. 

I’d take the £400k in January and get rid. Doubt Blackburn are interested now seeing they’re up there for promotion.

100% agree.  ?