Matty Longstaff

4 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

A list of loan players in the last 10 years would be terrifying. I highly doubt it's as good as 1 in 4

Tried to go season by season and will list below:

11/12 + 12/13:

Reynolds - pretty solid from my memory and think it earnt him a permanet move to us did it not?

13/14:

Logan - very good on loan and then did very well after he joined permanently 

Tate - utter shite from my limited memory

14/15:

Daniels - think he scored on his debut vs Dundee Utd but can't remember anything else he did

15/16:

Church - Good goalscorer, think he averaged 1 in 2

Ward - Fantastic goalie, easy to argue that we would've challenged further if we kept him

Collin - Utter shite, couldn't catach a cold

Parker - Absolutely useless 

McLaughlin - Somehow slightly better than Gurr (not difficult)

16/17:

Maddison - Fantastic player, shame he wasn't played in the right position

Christie - Arguably performed better for us than Maddison did

Burns - Quick and scored on his debut I think but pretty useless otherwise

17/18:

McLean - was good, no clue why Norwich bought him with his deal being up

Stewart - pretty useless, disrupted Cosgrove/May partnership

Chrisite - started off well, but form dipped second half of season from memory

Nwakali - Uselss and barely played from memroy

Woodman - Won penalty shoot-out vs Killie but got dropped after Lewis came back no?

18/19:

Wilson - scored a few good goals but not great, christ knows why we bought him after

Hoban - cracking player but shite luck with injury

Stewart - shite

Lowe - cracking player, probably top 5 loanees we've had last 10 years

19/20:

Vyner - played well once in CM vs Motherwell but unmemorable otherwise

Leigh - good going forward but poor defensively, shit luck with injury

20/21:

Hornby - awful

Kamberi - see Hornby

Hendry - less awful than above two

Watkins - good until his injury stuffed him

McCrorie - started off well but form somewhat fell off (same as rest of the team after November time)

That should be most of the loanees up till last season that I can see off TransferMarkt,

5 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

How many useful or successful loans have we had in the last 10 years?

Hit rate of about 1 in 4 is my gut feel. It’s been poor.

Signing folk like Longstaff, Samuels, etc & just having them on the bench is a waste & also puts a block in the way of the development team. 

It's also exactly what Glass said he wouldn't do in one of his interviews in summer I think it was.

1 hour ago, ferlaytio said:

I think he’s the most frustrating player at the club. He has ZERO football intelligence and that sadly can’t be trained. Hedges has ability but his decision making is the worst. It’s abysmal. 

I’d take the £400k in January and get rid. Doubt Blackburn are interested now seeing they’re up there for promotion.

£400k with 6 months to go on his contract?

Not a fucking chance Blackburn, or anyone for that matter, would cough up that kind of cash. We'll be doing well to even get half that for him

18 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

11/12 + 12/13:

Reynolds - pretty solid from my memory and think it earnt him a permanet move to us did it not?

13/14:

14/15:

Daniels - think he scored on his debut vs Dundee Utd but can't remember anything else he did

15/16:

Ward - Fantastic goalie, easy to argue that we would've challenged further if we kept him

16/17:

17/18:

Woodman - Won penalty shoot-out vs Killie but got dropped after Lewis came back no?

18/19:

Wilson - scored a few good goals but not great, christ knows why we bought him after

Stewart - shite

19/20:

20/21:

Hornby - awful

Kamberi - see Hornby

McCrorie - started off well but form somewhat fell off (same as rest of the team after November time)

That should be most of the loanees up till last season that I can see off TransferMarkt,

8 good, 3 ok, the rest fairly to very pish. Christie only getting counted once as good.

Hector is missing from the list?

57 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Hun bastard

Although is that accurate? Didn't he sign before both of them? Stewart in July, May in August then Cosgrove in January I think. 

I always thought Stewart was to replace McGinn and GMS was to replace Hayes... but then McGinn came back 

Edit: ah, probably true the following season when he very forgettabley came back! 

15 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Hun bastard

Although is that accurate? Didn't he sign before both of them? Stewart in July, May in August then Cosgrove in January I think. 

I always thought Stewart was to replace McGinn and GMS was to replace Hayes... but then McGinn came back 

Edit: ah, probably true the following season when he very forgettabley came back! 

Aye so it was, got myself mixed up. Aye he joined and did pretty poor for us, then went to Killie on loan and ripped it up for half a season

4 hours ago, ferlaytio said:

I think he’s the most frustrating player at the club. He has ZERO football intelligence and that sadly can’t be trained. Hedges has ability but his decision making is the worst. It’s abysmal. 

I’d take the £400k in January and get rid. Doubt Blackburn are interested now seeing they’re up there for promotion.

Pretty much this. 

3 hours ago, Granite95 said:

11/12 + 12/13:

13/14:

Hector

14/15:

15/16:

16/17:

17/18:

18/19:

Stewart - shite

19/20:

20/21:

Hornby - awful

Kamberi - see Hornby

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

£400k with 6 months to go on his contract?

Not a fucking chance Blackburn, or anyone for that matter, would cough up that kind of cash. We'll be doing well to even get half that for him

Not when the alleged bid was £250k with 12 months on his contract.

I think he flatters to deceive, & his final ball & decision making is pretty poor to be honest.

I’d take the money & bring in a replacement. 

Not an easy thing to do mid-season, but the squad needs reduced in size.

Ideal world it would be about 7 out the door & 3 or 4 in but it won’t be anything like that in January. 

46 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Not when the alleged bid was £250k with 12 months on his contract.

I think he flatters to deceive, & his final ball & decision making is pretty poor to be honest.

I’d take the money & bring in a replacement. 

Not an easy thing to do mid-season, but the squad needs reduced in size.

Ideal world it would be about 7 out the door & 3 or 4 in but it won’t be anything like that in January. 

All but Brown, Ramirez & Watkins should be out the door & written off as complete fk ups by Glass. Maybe Woods excused as he’s just a back up & only player that was signed as such because apparently Glass wasn’t going to bring in just any players unless they were going to pressure the first 11 ? remember that line? ?

Shaks ma heid ?

Longstaff just looks like he can’t be arsed. Rumour is he on £18k a week at Newcastle and probably thought he would come up here and stroll it. 
We all know centre mid is where we have an abundance of players. Brown and Ferguson are playing okay and shouldn’t really be dropped. Since signing Watkins we are playing him instead of another centre mid (quite rightly). 
Longstaff could go tomorrow and nobody up here would even notice or give a fuck. 

1 hour ago, sheepcrooky said:

Longstaff just looks like he can’t be arsed. Rumour is he on £18k a week at Newcastle and probably thought he would come up here and stroll it. 
We all know centre mid is where we have an abundance of players. Brown and Ferguson are playing okay and shouldn’t really be dropped. Since signing Watkins we are playing him instead of another centre mid (quite rightly). 
Longstaff could go tomorrow and nobody up here would even notice or give a fuck. 

£18k a week for that useless fk ?

wonder what % of that we are spunking on him 

Edit… Nearly £1m a year on him. Surly te fk not ?

Sometimes it appears that loan players are acquired without much though of where they might fit in and what we might get out of them. This season it was a very haphazard process which meant that these younger guys havent been given very much game time which might displease their home club somewhat. Why are we taking on some of these types of guys anyway, when surely it is better to give our homegrown young players the benefit of these opportunities. It would be better to concentrate on getting good experienced players to fill gaps. Obvious talents like Maddison are the exception.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...