Stephen Glass: What do we do?   

292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

4 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

We should just let him continue his disastrous reign and sack him when he has had enough time to ruin everything. What a thought 

Like getting a pedicure (if you’re a lady and not a ruddy bloke obvs) and they start by accidentally chopping off one of your toes. 

It’s ok though as they’re trying something different, explaining the customer can see what they are trying to do. 

Lots more toes to be lost before panicking. 

• Haha 1

On this occasion no wind up.

The 36 folk who are happy to let Glass have until the end of the season to feck the club further should take a minute to consider how out of his depth he is.

By the end of October it is more than likely that his win ratio will be worse than McGhoo, on a par with his Atlanta 2 win ratio.

Best candidate my arse.

This carnage has to be stopped sooner rather than later!!!!

Guest findlay_1903

It sets a dangerous precedent if you sack him this early into his tenure, the next 3 months are pivotal though. Let’s hope he realises we’ve no width and are more narrow than flatiron building in New York. 
I don’t think anyone can argue we’ve a half decent squad and should be miles off bottom six. 
Will be fascinating to see how it all unfolds! 

DTID

13 minutes ago, findlay_1903 said:

It sets a dangerous precedent if you sack him this early into his tenure, the next 3 months are pivotal though.

Agree with this. While it's really, really not going well right now, saving him so soon & on the back of his first bad run of results is going to really impact a future managers willingness to take the job. 

Not many managers (not many we'd want anyway) will be prepared to jump in to a job where they'll be sacked right away after one bad run. Especially when you consider our team has had a huge amount of turnover in it. 

It's hard to see Glass turning this around but I think the consequences of not giving him the chance to turn it around would be worse than those of giving him the chance. 

1 hour ago, Woody21 said:

On this occasion no wind up.

The 36 folk who are happy to let Glass have until the end of the season to feck the club further should take a minute to consider how out of his depth he is.

By the end of October it is more than likely that his win ratio will be worse than McGhoo, on a par with his Atlanta 2 win ratio.

Best candidate my arse.

This carnage has to be stopped sooner rather than later!!!!

Aye min, your relegation not being a bad thing post was indeed a belter and got a lot of folks going including masel.

Anyway back on topic, it is hard to argue with anything of what you have said above, there is / was no way on God's earth that Glass is / was the best candidate for the job out of the supposed hundreds of top quality applications.

It is well past the time for our lying twat of a chairman to send Glass back to Atlanta and back to his proper level, before it is too late.

5 minutes ago, blowupsheep said:

Aye min, your relegation not being a bad thing post was indeed a belter and got a lot of folks going including masel.

Anyway back on topic, it is hard to argue with anything of what you have said above, there is / was no way on God's earth that Glass is / was the best candidate for the job out of the supposed hundreds of top quality applications.

It is well past the time for our lying twat of a chairman to send Glass back to Atlanta and back to his proper level, before it is too late.

Aye, it's a horrible, horrible situation.

Normally I would 100% support giving a manager time if there were signs of hope.

However I genuinely don't think that DC's puppet has got a clue. Every good team has to be built on the foundation of a sound defence. Glass does not appear to recognise the importance of defence, if one clean sheet during his tenure is anything to go by.

If his intent was to put bums on seats to watch attacking 4-3 victories it would appear that his record at Atlanta 2 and us so far would indicate that he is totally incapable of doing so.

Decent guy, out of his depth coach.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Agree with this. While it's really, really not going well right now, saving him so soon & on the back of his first bad run of results is going to really impact a future managers willingness to take the job. 

Not many managers (not many we'd want anyway) will be prepared to jump in to a job where they'll be sacked right away after one bad run. Especially when you consider our team has had a huge amount of turnover in it. 

It's hard to see Glass turning this around but I think the consequences of not giving him the chance to turn it around would be worse than those of giving him the chance. 

The problem Glass has is that the vast majority of fans didn’t want him from the start & didn’t think he was up to it. 
If the majority have that mindset from the outset, he’s not going to be given as much time as a manager who the majority were happy with from the start. 
All he’s doing is proving that majority right. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The problem Glass has is that the vast majority of fans didn’t want him from the start & didn’t think he was up to it. 
If the majority have that mindset from the outset, he’s not going to be given as much time as a manager who the majority were happy with from the start. 
All he’s doing is proving that majority right. 

I think most were concerned with the appointment but were prepared to give him a chance. That's certainly where I was. He doesn't appear up to it though  

There were some good signs immediately after the summer which built a bit goodwill. The downturn since that Raith game is astonishing though. He doesn't seem to be able to identify where it's going wrong, let alone correct it. That's very worrying to me. He needs to do this very soon or his position will quickly become untenable. 

I do think it'll take a lot longer for Cormack to jettison him than folk on here think though. Can see him still in post until around Christmas before being punted. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

It would hardly be seen as being a regular occurrence with us. Look how long the previous manager got.

As long as Cormack is absolutely upfront with his reason for bulleting Glass.......ie he admits it was a bit of an experiment which sadly has not worked out and that it is in everyone's interest to end that experiment now then i can't see any reason why any other candidates wouldn't want to join up.

The biggest problem we have that way is pure and simple geography. There will be many managers in England and to a lesser extent Europe who just wouldn't countenance uprooting their family to move to a freezing cold northern outpost on the fringe of the continent. On the other hand, we offer an attractive salary only beaten up here by the arse cheeks and a playing budget to match. 

1 hour ago, findlay_1903 said:

It sets a dangerous precedent if you sack him this early into his tenure, the next 3 months are pivotal though. Let’s hope he realises we’ve no width and are more narrow than flatiron building in New York. 
I don’t think anyone can argue we’ve a half decent squad and should be miles off bottom six. 
Will be fascinating to see how it all unfolds! 

DTID

Aye, fascinating for everyone other than Dons fans!

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think most were concerned with the appointment but were prepared to give him a chance. That's certainly where I was. He doesn't appear up to it though  

There were some good signs immediately after the summer which built a bit goodwill. The downturn since that Raith game is astonishing though. He doesn't seem to be able to identify where it's going wrong, let alone correct it. That's very worrying to me. He needs to do this very soon or his position will quickly become untenable. 

I do think it'll take a lot longer for Cormack to jettison him than folk on here think though. Can see him still in post until around Christmas before being punted. 

Glass doesn’t look well. Has that gaunt, haunted look about him already. He’s probably guaranteed a job back in Atlanta so I don’t think he will stomach much more of this. More chance of him bombing himself before DC does

Wouldn’t be so bad, if he had personal experience to fall back on, both good and bad, that would help him in dark times but that was ALWAYS the risk. 

Thing is with Glass, although he is partly and probably mostly to blame - our recruitment is nothing short of shambolic and the people in charge need to be addressed as well.

Unsure how much Cormack has a say in transfers or he simply just says funds are or aren't available but why do we have countless center midfielders. I'd rather have other options out wide or up top, even if they weren't our number 1 targets - we are majorly unbalanced as a squad.

Was boys like Declan Gallagher even scouted before we signed him? or did they see him a couple Scotland games and launch the book at him. If Glass wanted to implement a brand of football that was attractive and possession based, then surely any sort of legitimate scouting would have thrown up the thought "you know what, maybe Gallagher isn't what we need to suit our vision"

I know in this day and age, some managers have no say (thinking back to Sunderland till I Die documentary where Stewart Donald completely goes against Jack Ross to sign Will Grigg, Jack Ross said no he's not worth like a 1/4 of what Stewart Donald wanted to pay but he signed him anyway and then all of a sudden the manager has a 4million pound striker who he basically has to play)

The club needs a complete restructure - unsure what Cormack is in it for, the fact he got players names wrong previously shows he isn't as close to the team as we probably think, is he here because of his genuine love of the club? if so, hire people who are good at what they do instead of hiring your pals. I don't want to see my club ruined but just everything seems so off.

• Upvote 1

What always alarms me is the feeling to just sack the manager straight away without any plan from the club.

Look at everything around him, for the most part it's extremely inexperienced in terms of staffing.

Surely IF you feel he's the right man (which the chairman said just a few months ago) you support him and bring him in something to help? Get some experience in the coaching staff, a mentor to lean on - ANYTHING!

Instead he looks like being thrown to the lions, and the weegie media will love this as it will mean they were right (in their opinion) and wee Deek should never have been let go and we should just know our place.

I hated the Cathro debacle from the standpoint of he was a young manager who the media and even his own Director of Football couldnt wait to fail. The fact it was Levein who got them relegated is forgotten by the weegie media who now let him spout on the radio and tv constantly like some soothsayer. Cathro didn't do well, but the fact that ex-players and older managers were just dying for him to fail was downright scary in how "jobs for the boys" our league is. The same will happen here with Glass and all it means is that young managers won't get the chances that our game needs.

By no means am I saying Glass is doing a good job, but he's new to this level, the coaching staff is new to this, the whole structure, DOF, youth coaches - there's a lot of new faces on and off the pitch.

For me it won't happen overnight but the owner and board have to see that they need some assistance, just something to get them out of the mire before it's too late. What really worries me is the lack of planning in recruitment, it's been extremely scatterdash and I can't help but think Glass will suffer all the blame for that when Cormack/Board and Gunn must have had some influence/impact.

Sacking him and replacing him with the same old tired names and faces won't ever solve us being a club that can overhaul the Old Firm.

6 minutes ago, The_Next_Legend said:

Thing is with Glass, although he is partly and probably mostly to blame - our recruitment is nothing short of shambolic and the people in charge need to be addressed as well.

Unsure how much Cormack has a say in transfers or he simply just says funds are or aren't available but why do we have countless center midfielders. I'd rather have other options out wide or up top, even if they weren't our number 1 targets - we are majorly unbalanced as a squad.

Was boys like Declan Gallagher even scouted before we signed him? or did they see him a couple Scotland games and launch the book at him. If Glass wanted to implement a brand of football that was attractive and possession based, then surely any sort of legitimate scouting would have thrown up the thought "you know what, maybe Gallagher isn't what we need to suit our vision"

I know in this day and age, some managers have no say (thinking back to Sunderland till I Die documentary where Stewart Donald completely goes against Jack Ross to sign Will Grigg, Jack Ross said no he's not worth like a 1/4 of what Stewart Donald wanted to pay but he signed him anyway and then all of a sudden the manager has a 4million pound striker who he basically has to play)

The club needs a complete restructure - unsure what Cormack is in it for, the fact he got players names wrong previously shows he isn't as close to the team as we probably think, is he here because of his genuine love of the club? if so, hire people who are good at what they do instead of hiring your pals. I don't want to see my club ruined but just everything seems so off.

This I totally agree with.

I get the feeling Glass will suffer all the blame due to the majority of media and fans having the old school view of the manager making all the transfer decisions - it just doesnt work that way nowadays for larger clubs, especially ones like us that are giving the perception of trying to modernise.

We know Gurr wasn't a Glass choice, it's an Atlanta benefit and link-up choice (just like Gallagher last year) - Ramirez coming from the MLS appears a similar type of move that's probably driven by the board rather than Glass.

JET is the one for me - it's clear he doesn't fit the system or style Glass is trying to play (albeit that isn't clear sometimes) but like your Gallagher example it seems they've thrown a lot of darts at the board and none have stuck. I get the feeling Cormack wanted to make "marquee" signings and drum up interest to sell tickets, as well as fuel his ego in the summer. He vanishes when the chips are down but is everywhere when we are winning!

Linked to my other message above it appears we have a lack of experience in putting a plan in place for transfers, style of play and on the pitch results - That's from the very top of the club in terms of ownership in Cormack, to the manager, to the coaches and down to even some of our players. It's no surprise where we are with this being the case. McInnes football was atrocious towards the end but like the SPFL grinders of managers like Tommy Wright they could put together enough results to stop these kind of issues. It wasn't good for fans or the development of our game but results take precedent.

14 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

What always alarms me is the feeling to just sack the manager straight away without any plan from the club.

Look at everything around him, for the most part it's extremely inexperienced in terms of staffing.

Surely IF you feel he's the right man (which the chairman said just a few months ago) you support him and bring him in something to help? Get some experience in the coaching staff, a mentor to lean on - ANYTHING!

Instead he looks like being thrown to the lions, and the weegie media will love this as it will mean they were right (in their opinion) and wee Deek should never have been let go and we should just know our place.

I hated the Cathro debacle from the standpoint of he was a young manager who the media and even his own Director of Football couldnt wait to fail. The fact it was Levein who got them relegated is forgotten by the weegie media who now let him spout on the radio and tv constantly like some soothsayer. Cathro didn't do well, but the fact that ex-players and older managers were just dying for him to fail was downright scary in how "jobs for the boys" our league is. The same will happen here with Glass and all it means is that young managers won't get the chances that our game needs.

By no means am I saying Glass is doing a good job, but he's new to this level, the coaching staff is new to this, the whole structure, DOF, youth coaches - there's a lot of new faces on and off the pitch.

For me it won't happen overnight but the owner and board have to see that they need some assistance, just something to get them out of the mire before it's too late. What really worries me is the lack of planning in recruitment, it's been extremely scatterdash and I can't help but think Glass will suffer all the blame for that when Cormack/Board and Gunn must have had some influence/impact.

Sacking him and replacing him with the same old tired names and faces won't ever solve us being a club that can overhaul the Old Firm.

Maybe Russell Anderson on a very short based contract could help to bring structure to one of the shakiest defences we have ever had. 

8 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Maybe Russell Anderson on a very short based contract could help to bring structure to one of the shakiest defences we have ever had. 

Haha He'd run the show even now :)

I think what is needed there definitely is some experience. Considine is by no means the greatest defender ever but he'd be a much needed voice and consistency in defence.

Bates is 25 today, McCrorie 23, MacKenzie 21, Ramsay 18 - Very young defence to handle pressure especially with a run of bad form and also Lewis not giving them any security behind them. Ramsay standing out as he has is great, but at his age he will have a dip, almost every youngster does. Considering for all 4 it's all new to them - Bates returing to SPFL and fitting in, McCrorie isn't a centre-back and the 2 full-backs have jumped into first team football, it's no surprise that it doesn't look very coherent back there.

40 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

The thing is, if he's looking for that experience to support, Craig Brown is still there behind the scenes.

I'm sure he'll be giving advice to Glass similarly to what Oli Gunnar Solskjaer gets from Fergie

43 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Absolutely. The suggestions of Yogi Hughes or Neil Lennon are laughable but cringeful 

I know a lot of folk hate these advanced stats but by looking at the chances actually being created by teams, they can provide a bit of context to a good or bad run of results. Anyway, an account I follow on Twitter does an "expected points" table: 

7-F88889-D-0966-4-C6-D-B350-9-FFFA90-BD4

In theory, teams under performing like us (negative values) will likely see an upturn and teams over performing (positive values) will likely see a downturn as actual goals/pts regress towards expected goals/pts.

SG needs support on the training field to get his ideas across as this is clearly not working at the moment! What ever DC decides changes need made over this next 2 weeks, not necessarily sacking people but looking at the set up and getting a better handle on the situation before it becomes a massive problem in November and we are looking at a relegation battle we might not get out 

16 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

The thing is, if he's looking for that experience to support, Craig Brown is still there behind the scenes.

I'm sure he'll be giving advice to Glass similarly to what Oli Gunnar Solskjaer gets from Fergie

Absolutely. The suggestions of Yogi Hughes or Neil Lennon are laughable but cringeful 

So is the suggestion of Craig Brown providing support, to be fair

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I know a lot of folk hate these advanced stats but by looking at the chances actually being created by teams, they can provide a bit of context to a good or bad run of results. Anyway, an account I follow on Twitter does an "expected points" table: 

7-F88889-D-0966-4-C6-D-B350-9-FFFA90-BD4

In theory, teams under performing like us (negative values) will likely see an upturn and teams over performing (positive values) will likely see a downturn as actual goals/pts regress towards expected goals/pts.

Celtic are crap with a poor defence and are nowhere near top of the league form as yet so whilst I'm sure it's interesting mathematics - it's wrong. Send it to the Tims some of them will lap it up - the huns will just laugh and point at the real table. 

12 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

Celtic are crap with a poor defence and are nowhere near top of the league form as yet so whilst I'm sure it's interesting mathematics - it's wrong. Send it to the Tims some of them will lap it up - the huns will just laugh and point at the real table. 

I don't base my view on everything based on what Rangers and Celtic fans think. 

xG is a pretty widely recognised and used statistic. The xP is a step beyond that and a new one on me but I do find it interesting. 

I do think our performances in the last 10 games are better than the results we have gotten. Results are what matters though and Glass and the team need to find a way to turn those around sharpish. 

46 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

That's not how stats work. It's not trying to say this is how the table should be, but trying to give another angle of how teams are performing. There are caveats to it which might make it more or less helpful, but it's silly to say "I don't like it, it must be wrong".

8 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

GWT will be too busy "supporting" this new quine we've brought in from United to have the time to mentor Glass

?. Seriously though what purpose does auld Pa serve at the club these days?

I’ve seen mention of Callum Davidson and Jim Goodwin. Both good managers who would return us to where we SHOULD be.

But, would they accept an offer from AFC? Both have emotional ties to their respective clubs and I doubt Davidson would leave what he currently has, to come here. He could jump to England already, without the need for an additional stepping stone here.

Goodwin might, but a lot would depend on the proposed support network around him; recruitment etc. That has to be sorted out at the same time, before offers were made

6 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

That's not how stats work. It's not trying to say this is how the table should be, but trying to give another angle of how teams are performing. There are caveats to it which might make it more or less helpful, but it's silly to say "I don't like it, it must be wrong".

I kind of get that but it must be wrong and not because I don't like it. Don't overinterpret it either to think we're doing okay - teams leading take the foot of the gas - try different formations and players and so on - teams losing do the same -- I'm sure there's a table out there on possession as well - we could be top of the league!

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We sink or swim with Glass & the next few weeks will tell us a lot. 

It will. By end of October, Livvie and Dundee could well have appointed traditional firemen like Brian Rice or John Hughes in an attempt to right their ships. Ross County already have a decent manager in charge. That is when the heat will really be on Glass.

If he’s not cracked under the heat already, imagine what he’d be like at end of Oct, after the upcoming run of games, if the teams currently below us gather some steam?