Stephen Glass: What do we do?   

292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

Just now, afc1903mad said:

A;ternatively Brown could drop into the middle of the centra half’s rather than adding another defensive player

I think that's kinda the arrangement now but it doesn't work. He still has a job to do in the middle of the park breaking up play on the counter so we are still a man short. We need to try something else because quite clearly what we are doing now isn't working

7 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

We weren’t up for it. We were too slow and ponderous 

We are not the strong attacking team with a bit of an edge that was described to us by Cormack whilst getting the fans to stump up cash for season tickets and DNA renewals. McInnes couldn’t manage it and neither can Glass….3rd time lucky?

One thing Glass has done is to peddle the myth of having some sort of magic method that would propel the Dons into a new dimension.The media and some of the fan base bought into it, but as we all know, it's a fairy story. Even if there was some substance to it, what's to say that other teams won't suss it out and nullify whatever it was meant to achieve. The bubble bursts.

7 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Through him.

?

Also, no need for him to come out that far.
Griffiths was being forced wide.

Woods made it much easier for him by straying from his goal.

Stays on his line, it's a straightforward save.

Or Griffiths may not have even shot.

Keeper made up his mind for him though.

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

But did it go under him?

It went slightly to his right side. Ball was in the net before his dive was even completed (wasnt a full length dive not really sure what you would call it but as I say.....there is absolutely no blame attached to Woods for their first goal)

There may be an element of culpability for Woods at their second....he looked to be positioned a bit too far towards his left hand post as their player shoots. But the Dundee player was cutting in from that side before hitting the shot so  it's one that some would say Woods to blame, others will accept it's just good play by the Dundee striker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4bKqA-J4m8

25 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Even the BBC seemed to be taking their coverage from the shite Dundee in house cameras. Conveniently they've never shown an angle to show conclusively that Griffiths was either on or offside. But from what they did show, I totally concur that he was offside.........and it didn't look a  particularly close call.

Bates is getting slaughtered for his part in it but the ball was played into the space where MacKenzie should have been. And if Griffiths had been on the right hand side the same situation would have occurred with Ramsay also caught miles up the park, only Gallagher would have been blamed instead with him being left to cover that half of the field

It’s hard to blame defenders if the paedo was yards offside though? 

That said, Glass never made an issue about it in the post match interview I don’t think, which given the pressure he’s under, you’d think he would’ve? 

4 hours ago, Dick Pullar said:

To answer the original question, we sack Glass and bring in Davie Robertson ( of Kashmir FC). Family lives in Aberdeen already. A born fighter and winner. Unfortunately probably too much of a rough diamond for Cormack and his delusional American aristocratic dreams.

Fuck off Davie you rat bastard ?

5 hours ago, DD1903 said:

Just seen the goals. Same long diagonal ball in to the space left by the 'attacking' fullback. It's so glaringly obvious, but glass just seems so set in this system, despite it clearly not working. 

im done. Wanted it to work. It isn't. We could be in real trouble soon, if this isn't addressed. 

Agreed. I think we’re in ‘real trouble’ already. There is nothing to suggest that things are going to change, or we’re just not getting the breaks. The disappointing thing is his persistence/ arrogance of doing the same thing Over and over again and expecting a different result. Don’t think he knows his best team and I would love to know what he sees in ojo in that role, when everyone on here can see it doesn’t work. 

8 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

Agreed. I think we’re in ‘real trouble’ already. There is nothing to suggest that things are going to change, or we’re just not getting the breaks. The disappointing thing is his persistence/ arrogance of doing the same thing Over and over again and expecting a different result. Don’t think he knows his best team and I would love to know what he sees in ojo in that role, when everyone on here can see it doesn’t work. 

Yep. His stubbornness to Chang will be his downfall 

4 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Yep. His stubbornness to Chang will be his downfall 

Yeah, listened to his interview with Graham Hunter. I've maybe mentioned already but the tone was very much if you change your principles you lose the changing room. 

In our case it's clear our style isn't working and formation but he refuses to adapt. Whilst that may be commendable there's a lot to be said for just winning a game 1 0 with 40% possession and playing for second balls when you've not won a game in fucking ages. 

3 hours ago, Millertime said:

I'm not sure that's the case though, our players were absolutely up for it and trying till the last whistle

Just everything they did was keech

I don't think they look interested, or like they're trying. For ex... Against Celtic, they didn't play until they got a talking to at half time. 

39 minutes ago, RUL said:

Yeah, listened to his interview with Graham Hunter. I've maybe mentioned already but the tone was very much if you change your principles you lose the changing room. 

In our case it's clear our style isn't working and formation but he refuses to adapt. Whilst that may be commendable there's a lot to be said for just winning a game 1 0 with 40% possession and playing for second balls when you've not won a game in fucking ages. 

Yep. Make us solid, get us winning. But he just wants to play this system that he's 'perfected' at Atlanta reserves. Where it didn't really work either.

He'll lose the dressing room if his methods mean we're not winning

22 minutes ago, RUL said:

There are a few managers who’ve come out with the “if plan A doesn’t work, do plan A better”.

Tony Mowbray at the Tims & Mark Warburton at the huns for example.

Glass is going down the same road.

He has to try something different.

3-5-2, or 3-4-1-2 for example. Gives us another central defender & gets someone up front alongside Ramirez. 
The 4-3-3 he’s trying every week clearly isn’t working 

We'd be better just playing four four fucking two for a few weeks til everyone sorts their shit out a bit. 

Gives you cover on both wings when the full backs overlap. One of the forwards drops deep to support the midfield when we lose possession and gives you two fucking strikers in the box when we're getting crosses in. 

Back to fucking basics for a bit

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

It went slightly to his right side. Ball was in the net before his dive was even completed (wasnt a full length dive not really sure what you would call it but as I say.....there is absolutely no blame attached to Woods for their first goal)

There may be an element of culpability for Woods at their second....he looked to be positioned a bit too far towards his left hand post as their player shoots. But the Dundee player was cutting in from that side before hitting the shot so  it's one that some would say Woods to blame, others will accept it's just good play by the Dundee striker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4bKqA-J4m8

Interesting as I was disappointed with Woods for the first but didn’t attribute any blame towards him for the second.

The purpose of coming out to narrow the angle is to make it harder for the striker to get the ball into the goal. Woods for me needs to get something in that shot and should have saved given the previous screenshots

31 minutes ago, RUL said:

Agreed. But what is our/his style? The possession bit I get, the slow based possession I don't. Must be so easy to play against…

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We'd be better just playing four four fucking two for a few weeks til everyone sorts their shit out a bit. 

Gives you cover on both wings when the full backs overlap. One of the forwards drops deep to support the midfield when we lose possession and gives you two fucking strikers in the box when we're getting crosses in. 

Back to fucking basics for a bit

Yup….completely agree…

In the recent times article he said he spent the the time working with the defenders on not switching off. Running the same plays over and over to improve concentration. 

You read that and think that’s good only for the first game post break to see us concede the same type of goals as we were doing previously. 

So, either the defenders are shite and incapable of improving or the training drills are ineffective, or both. 

45 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He has to try something different.

3-5-2, or 3-4-1-2 for example. Gives us another central defender & gets someone up front alongside Ramirez. 
The 4-3-3 he’s trying every week clearly isn’t working 

This is the most obvious thing to everyone apart from Glass eye. We need better cover in defence, so makes sense to go 3 at the back. Our main attacking threat is the full backs - so play them as wing backs so there is slightly less onus on them having to go back to defend all the time. Our other issue is lack of goals, mainly because Ramirez is so isolated up front - so get another striker up front alongside him. We are overloaded with samey midfielders - so ditch one of them and just play 2 central midfielders.

4 issues that can be tackled by simply changing the formation.

GK (both are crap so toss a coin)

McCrorie Gallagher Bates

Ramsay Ferguson Brown MacKenzie

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins

100% convinced that formation and lineup would put up a better showing than the current garbage we;re getting.

22 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

It be worth giving Robson or someone the next 3 games? Gives us time to get the appointment right and means it’s not such a hard start.

Yes. Get Glass out now, give Robson the next three games (if he can fire them up and organise them a bit better to pick up a few points great, but if not it's no worse than what we'd get if Glass stayed), and use the time to bring someone new in that knows what they're doing. That gives the new guy a couple months to assess what we've got and work out about 10 players to punt in January (if anyone will take them - Jenks, Longstaff, Samuels can go home, Devlin, McGinn, Kennedy, Ojo, Hayes, Lewis, McLennan etc, sell Ferguson if we get a decent bid) and find maybe 3 or 4 he can bring in.

32 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

It be worth giving Robson or someone the next 3 games? Gives us time to get the appointment right and means it’s not such a hard start.

We should be getting a new manager in ASAP. Hopefully before we play Hibs, Rangers and Hearts. A good manager will relish management in these type of matches. Shouldn’t need a so called easy start.