Stephen Glass: What do we do?   

292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

25 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I hope we win every game, but it's a difficult dilemma at the moment. Would I rather we lose against Hibs and he gets sacked and we can begin to rebuild... or we beat Hibs which gives him another few games leeway to do more damage to our season. The problem is none of us can see him turning it around - there's no signs whatsoever that he's capable of doing it - a flukey win just prolongs the pain a little longer.

Aye, it’s just one game to help the club rebuild from this college soccer insanity that was thrust upon us, we can start from next week.

The players are in the building, it's the tactics that need adjusting, it's that simple, but he needs the penny to drop right away.  We're very easy to play against right now.  Even your average kids' coach team would instruct their players to "just get the ball in behind the full backs and you'll get joy all day long".  I wouldn't fancy us being able to defend against a Highland League team with these tactics; it doesn't take a talented footballer to get the ball in behind the full-backs; the writing was on the wall as soon as the Brediablik game where they routinely switched the play and got in behind Ramsay & Mackenzie.  If we get back to basics and start being more expansive & direct, we'll stop shipping cheap goals and we'll get back to being hard to beat. 

That's not a difficult fix for any half-decent coach. If he can't see that that's what is needed to be done, starting on Saturday, then he needs to be jottered and quickly.

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

The players are in the building, it's the tactics that need adjusting, it's that simple, but he needs the penny to drop right away.  We're very easy to play against right now.  Even your average kids' coach team would instruct their players to "just get the ball in behind the full backs and you'll get joy all day long".  I wouldn't fancy us being able to defend against a Highland League team with these tactics; it doesn't take a talented footballer to get the ball in behind the full-backs; the writing was on the wall as soon as the Brediablik game where they routinely switched the play and got in behind Ramsay & Mackenzie.  If we get back to basics and start being more expansive & direct, we'll stop shipping cheap goals and we'll get back to being hard to beat. 

That's not a difficult fix for any half-decent coach. If he can't see that that's what is needed to be done, starting on Saturday, then he needs to be jottered and quickly.

Great post

Full backs overlapping both at the same time is quite common in the modern game. The key is what is left behind if you lose possession. Essentially if you commit such numbers, you leave yourself exposed to your 2 CB's and CDM against whatever the opposition leave forward and you need legs to get up and back constantly which the likes of Brown, McGinn and Hayes just don't have anymore.

Some teams might drop in and only have 1 or 2 up which allows for this kind of overloading on the flanks, but if a team gambles on winning the ball with just 6 or 7 back, they will then break at speed against you.

It does also allow for the ball into the channels behind the full backs which is being bemoaned - something we used to do with McLean when we had a younger, quicker Hayes - was always a great out ball and McLean had accuracy. Charlie Adam demonstrated this at the weekend.

I think Glass has tried to implement modern football to our team (passing, patient build up, overlapping full backs etc), but with no real idea how to implement it or utilise the players around him. He's stuck trying to play a style that isn't working and has no idea his correct team or system.

It's the SPFL though so i'd guess he'd have thought it's not going to be capitalized upon like it has been and he would have thought he could implement his (and the owners) formula and style of play whilst still winning games and probably sitting around 4th-6th. What he hasn't accounted for has been this losing run occurring and big signings just not turning up. I've said before, Lewis, Gallagher, Bates, Brown, Longstaff, Ferguson, Ramirez would walk into most teams in our league and most of them are above us, so have they all lost the plot at the same time or is it more to it, and more to do with coaching? Brown, Longstaff and Ferguson would probably do a job in the English Championship as a midfield, so why can't it work for us? Why is Longstaff not even playing?!

As said above, a simple measure is to just go back to basics a bit - at least for a period of time to steady the ship. I'm all for us trying to develop as a club and make our time more exciting, attacking, modern etc, but it's clearly not working. So tell the full backs to only go one at a time as mentioned, play the ball into the mixer, go back to the old school spfl football to get some results, but still work on your overarching strategy on the training field and gradually implement it. Complete basics won't win titles/trophies but trying to change how the game has been played up here for decades won't happen in 6 months either.

It's all a mess, and Glass has tried something with a rookie management team which is backfiring spectacularly, and as they have no idea what works and what doesn't whilst also wanting to stick to his philosophy (because his owner wants that philosophy) i'm afraid I doubt it'll ever get better unless it all randomly just clicks. But when it clicks could be too late.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

It's one of those, any positive result from now on is going to be enough justification for DC to keep him on. 18 points up for grabs in the next 6 against the top 6, what return is acceptable? For me it has to be something like 12 points to make this season in any way salvageable.

I'm honestly expecting 0 points. And only then will we see Cormack finally start considering a change. 

Glass is so far out of his depth and far too stubborn for his own good. No wins in 10, 5 losses on the bounce and he refuses to change his tactics at all. He's clearly expecting the full backs getting forward to be our main creative outlet so play 3 at the back, let the wing backs bomb forward without leaving an acre of space in behind everytime they do, and play 2 up top so there are targets in the box for their crosses. The discipline from the bench is appalling as well, they must have more bookings than the players do this season. 

20 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

I'm honestly expecting 0 points. And only then will we see Cormack finally start considering a change. 

Glass is so far out of his depth and far too stubborn for his own good. No wins in 10, 5 losses on the bounce and he refuses to change his tactics at all. He's clearly expecting the full backs getting forward to be our main creative outlet so play 3 at the back, let the wing backs bomb forward without leaving an acre of space in behind everytime they do, and play 2 up top so there are targets in the box for their crosses. The discipline from the bench is appalling as well, they must have more bookings than the players do this season. 

That's the main issue really.  If we were losing games but showing signs of improvement then he could potentially be cut more slack but it's the same shite week after week.  Not confident we'll pick up any more than a couple of points from the next 6 games which would leave us deep in the shit

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

If we beat Hibs it’s a good result and he deserves the next week or two.

What if we draw/lose but show serious signs of improvement? This is the thing, Cormack will be looking for anything to keep him on. I don't want Aberdeen to lose and I wouldn't will them to lose a game, but I can see people's thinking in doing so, it's a total lack of faith in the evangelical American creep that runs the show atm. 

37 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

I have said that myself, our best bet would be 3 at the back with wing backs pushing high, someone closer to Ramirez etc. 

Every week we turn up he's just praying the penny will drop and it'll all come up Milhouse, it's really, really not looking good. If the same issues persist this weekend it'll become toxic as all fuck. 

It's a shame but it's the reality for him, folk don't have buses to catch after the game either, might get a mob outside the main stand. Fuck knows. 

On 10/3/2021 at 3:44 PM, ericblack4boss said:

Glass will be given the season at least,  the best we can hope for is that he either resigns, or that he has an experienced assistant appointed for him,

Hibs are playing us on the back of 2 defeats. I can't see them loosing 3 in a row!&

6 hours ago, Saturday's Kid said:

We are averaging less than a point a game and in only three seasons have we ever got under a point a game. 1916/17, 1999/2000 and 2003/04, It's early days but it does indicate the trouble we're in.

We finished second bottom in 03/04 and there was no play off that season. We finished last in 2000 and avoided a play-off as Falkirk's ground didn't come up to scratch. We also finished last in 1917 and withdrew from the following season's competition but continued in the top division in the season after that.

I would be happy to avoid relegation by finishing out of the drop zone or for there to be league reconstruction. A World War might be too high a price.

I think the situation in 2000 is that there was to be a 3 way play off, with only one of these going down. Falkirk’s stadium wasn’t up to scratch so no need for 3 way play off. Also if memory serves me right we had beaten championship team in the cup that year, so even if a play off was needed, I still think that we would have been ok.

21 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

If he stays he needs an experienced spl coach/ assistant to help him now! Not in 4/5 weeks when it’s likely too late 

That should have been done around April/May when he arrived - not now - we need a competent coach pulling the strings not advising the puppeteer

3 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Bill Leckie has always been a massive, insufferable wanker, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had to stop for a tug at least a couple of times writing that. 

Fuck that guy. 

He wrote a fabulous piece once on English media and pundits, and accurately described John Inverdale as the most English of Englishmen

4 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Quite looking forward to the game on Saturday. If we get a win I can see the tide turning. 

It’s the definition of win or bust however.

18 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Haha nope

I am now of the opinion that everything is going to be fine

Delusional.

You can fool some of the people all of the time.