Stephen Glass: What do we do?   

292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

41 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Kudos to him for caring enough about the job enough to put in the extra hours to try and figure things out. He could easily have just shrugged his shoulders, did the bare minimum and carried on as he was. But he's, reportedly, been working longer hours and doing extra work, some of which isn't his job such as the recruitment stuff, to make things better. Commendably, even if he's still not been able to fix things, at least he's trying.   If he's putting in a load of hours and it's still not working out, then the onus is on Cormack to find someone else, which is increasingly looking like what needs to happen.

Same with any footballer at the club, if they put in 100% then I can't criticise them too much. If someone is absolutely shite, but putting in the effort then my grievances will always go towards the manager for picking someone who is not good enough.  It's players that you know are better than they can be that coast games that piss me off.  

Well, he's claimed he get the final say on recruitment, so that is part of his job. 

Kudos? He should be in trying to sort this mess. He's made such an arse of it, he's having to do the extra work. He clearly doesn't want to be seen as a failure. Fair enough. However, he can come in and look at 'the data' and try to get the 'message' about these different things across to the players every day, but the simple fact is, no matter what hours he puts in, it won't matter until he sees the light and changes his tactics. 

3 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

Kudos to him for caring enough about the job enough to put in the extra hours to try and figure things out. He could easily have just shrugged his shoulders, did the bare minimum and carried on as he was. But he's, reportedly, been working longer hours and doing extra work, some of which isn't his job such as the recruitment stuff, to make things better. Commendably, even if he's still not been able to fix things, at least he's trying.   If he's putting in a load of hours and it's still not working out, then the onus is on Cormack to find someone else, which is increasingly looking like what needs to happen.

Same with any footballer at the club, if they put in 100% then I can't criticise them too much. If someone is absolutely shite, but putting in the effort then my grievances will always go towards the manager for picking someone who is not good enough.  It's players that you know are better than they can be that coast games that piss me off.  

No need to put in extra hours to figure out what's going wrong - he could just log on to this forum and have a read through some of the post match threads - it's plain for everyone else to see what's wrong - and plain to most people that there's probably a few simple changes to formation and personal which, while they might not solve all the issues, would certainly be an attempt to address one or two of them.

33 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

No need to put in extra hours to figure out what's going wrong - he could just log on to this forum and have a read through some of the post match threads - it's plain for everyone else to see what's wrong - and plain to most people that there's probably a few simple changes to formation and personal which, while they might not solve all the issues, would certainly be an attempt to address one or two of them.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that Don.

I believe most of our goals conceded have been as a result of individual errors as opposed to a formation issue. So you opt to change the formation (3 at the back) to plug individual errors, but then it takes away options elsewhere on the park.

It may garner a short term improvement (maybe a few 0-0 draws, better than what we have gained the last 5 games), but it doesn’t help with the long term goal.

As tough as it seems, working with the players to cut out the errors should bear fruit in time.

On a similar point, what’s up with McCrorie? If he played, I doubt Griffiths would have gotten the opportunity he did to score.

38 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I believe most of our goals conceded have been as a result of individual errors as opposed to a formation issue. So you opt to change the formation (3 at the back) to plug individual errors, but then it takes away options elsewhere on the park.

It may garner a short term improvement (maybe a few 0-0 draws, better than what we have gained the last 5 games), but it doesn’t help with the long term goal.

As tough as it seems, working with the players to cut out the errors should bear fruit in time.

On a similar point, what’s up with McCrorie? If he played, I doubt Griffiths would have gotten the opportunity he did to score.

I think a 3412 formation would resolve more than just the defensive frailties though. It would provide more support for Ramirez, give us more attacking threat than just hoping the young full backs can get up and get crosses in etc.

Anyway, all immaterial as he won't change the formation any time soon.

Not sure about McCrorie, although I'm sure he was in some of the pictures from training earlier in the week, so maybe he's back. If he's fit, I guess he will come in - not sure if he'll drop Bates so soon... bit of a toss up between Gallagher and Bates as to who is the bigger liability just now. 

51 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Most of goals conceded individual errors.  What about failure to find the net. ( They don't know where the back of the net is.)  

54 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

Most of goals conceded individual errors.  What about failure to find the net. ( They don't know where the back of the net is.)  

We've conceded 25 goals so far this season which is a pretty big total at this early stage.  It's a stretch to claim that at least 13 ("most") have been down to individual errors. 

You'll be told that the reason we haven't scored many recently is down to individual errors by the forwards as well. 

Nothing to do with the system which, if we keep persevering with it, will pay off. 

1 hour ago, shooftahmooftah said:

The forwards and our lack of creativity is a different issue. Yes, we’re struggling there with our only creativity, especially from open play.

I was responding to a change of formation to help plug the defensive errors that have been made

57 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We've conceded 25 goals so far this season which is a pretty big total at this early stage.  It's a stretch to claim that at least 13 ("most") have been down to individual errors. 

You'll be told that the reason we haven't scored many recently is down to individual errors by the forwards as well. 

Nothing to do with the system which, if we keep persevering with it, will pay off. 

Is it? I don’t think so.

I presume, but you can clarify, that you think we need to be more defensive

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think players are forced into situations where they are making mistakes because the system doesn't suit the players we have. 

Well that’s interesting.

I personally think for example that a 6’4” centre half should not be allowing a 5’8” striker to chest the ball in on the 6 yard line, or our prominent young midfielder that thinks they are EPL quality should duck out at the back post. But if you think those were down to the system shape we are deploying then fair enough.

9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Well that’s interesting.

I personally think for example that a 6’4” centre half should not be allowing a 5’8” striker to chest the ball in on the 6 yard line, or our prominent young midfielder that thinks they are EPL quality should duck out at the back post. But if you think those were down to the system shape we are deploying then fair enough.

That's 2.

You said most of our goals were purely down to individual errors. We've conceded 25 this season. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That's 2.

You said most of our goals were purely down to individual errors. We've conceded 25 this season. 

Yes, it’s only two I gave as examples.

I’m not about to engage in describing every goal we have conceded that were basic individual errors.

Why don’t you list the goals in detail you think we’re down to the system?

• Upvote 1
Just now, afc1903mad said:

Yes, it’s only two I gave as examples.

I’m not about to engage in describing every goal we have conceded that were basic individual errors.

Why don’t you list the goals in detail you think we’re down to the system?

So not most then. 

I'd say pretty much every goal where we've isolated our centre backs against the opposition forwards and allowed teams to hit us on the break.  I've not counted them but there have been a fair few. 

Certainly enough to suggest that the repeated pattern is either down to a weakness in the system or utilising a system that you don't have the right type of players to deliver. 

Which pretty much amounts to the same thing. 

Just now, Torry Tosser said:

Lets get behind him tomorrow,and do these feckers..One win can change things sometimes..And I wis telt today by a pal of Drew Jarvie,that the players are in his camp,never mind what the weegie Bastards are spikin...If we lose and he's dumped so be it,but he's still got the job tomorrow and cares for the club...Coyr

Well said Torry min.

COYR’s

2 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

Lets get behind him tomorrow,and do these feckers..One win can change things sometimes..And I wis telt today by a pal of Drew Jarvie,that the players are in his camp,never mind what the weegie Bastards are spikin...If we lose and he's dumped so be it,but he's still got the job tomorrow and cares for the club...Coyr

Well said 

1 hour ago, Torry Tosser said:

Agreed

11 hours ago, Torry Tosser said:

I really thought he should have been gone after the loss to Dundee. If the players really are still behind him, they owe him a big performance today. Hopefully they can do it for him against hibs and kick on from there. Its now or never time. COYR!! 

18 minutes ago, don corleone said:

I think today should buy glass a bit more time to prove that he can turn it around. I'd give it till the end of November and reassess then. It would be great if he could do it and start really picking up a head of steam. For now he will have my full support. 

See this is where is gets silly. There are 5 games between now and the end of November. How on earth does winning one game against a Hibs team on their knees give him 5 guaranteed games. 

This win only means something if it is the start of a sequence of wins. Hes not allowed to lose the next 4 games and have us saying well let's see what happens against Celtic on Nov 28th.

3 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

This win only means something if it is the start of a sequence of wins.

I completely agree with you there. I simply think he should now be given the chance to put a run of good performances and results together. If he loses the next 4 he should undoubtedly be shown the door.