Stephen Glass: What do we do?   

292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

15 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I'm not saying we are getting relegated. I'm saying it's foolish to think we absolutely won't. This squad should have more than enough to see that off, I'm just saying the arrogance of some to assume it wouldnt happen cause we're Aberdeen, has proven to be a pitfall for many a club before. 

I’ve said before :-

Can we be relegated? Of course 

Are we likely to be relegated? Probably not

Its far too early to be so anxious

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I’ve said before :-

Can we be relegated? Of course 

Are we likely to be relegated? Probably not

Its far too early to be so anxious

I'd agree if we didn't have the chairman that we do. 

We also don't have a squad capable of keeping a clean sheet. We are in relegation form. No point denying. 

34 minutes ago, blowupsheep said:

Give the gig to Neil Lennon temporary till the end of the season just to steady the ship, and take from now till end of the season to do our homework correct and appoint the correct man for the job who will be in it for the long haul and get us to where we all want the club to be at.

Getting the club to the level we all want to be at is not going to happen under the current leadership that's a certainty.

In any well run company, even football clubs, you have to mitigate against the senior staff departing, either thru being headhunted, or underperforming.

It would be extremely remiss of Cormack not to have already tentatively sounded out various managers about taking over at AFC; some currently in work, some not. 

One thing that cannot be thrown at Cormack is being stingy. If severance packages need to be handed out, to both outgoing management teams here, and incoming management teams elsewhere, he’ll do it. 

So the likes of Alex Neil will have already been contacted, you’d hope.

But, to answer your point, if it came to a choice between Glass or Lennon (till the end of the season) it’s the latter for me

5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

In any well run company, even football clubs, you have to mitigate against the senior staff departing, either thru being headhunted, or underperforming.

It would be extremely remiss of Cormack not to have already tentatively sounded out various managers about taking over at AFC; some currently in work, some not. 

One thing that cannot be thrown at Cormack is being stingy. If severance packages need to be handed out, to both outgoing management teams here, and incoming management teams elsewhere, he’ll do it. 

So the likes of Alex Neil will have already been contacted, you’d hope.

But, to answer your point, if it came to a choice between Glass or Lennon (till the end of the season) it’s the latter for me

The spectre of Neil Lennon - unfortunately I think he’d be the one they’d turn to.

He’s available, free & desperate for a job.

What a thought. 

Saying he’s a better manager than Stephen Glass is like saying he’s a better baby sitter than Kate & Gerry McCann. 

I don’t want Glass but I wouldn’t want Lennon either. He’s toxic, falls out with people & players, and I actually don’t think he’s a very good coach/manager. 

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The spectre of Neil Lennon - unfortunately I think he’d be the one they’d turn to.

He’s available, free & desperate for a job.

What a thought. 

Saying he’s a better manager than Stephen Glass is like saying he’s a better baby sitter than Kate & Gerry McCann. 

I don’t want Glass but I wouldn’t want Lennon either. He’s toxic, falls out with people & players, and I actually don’t think he’s a very good coach/manager. 

+1

Get the Neil Lennon suggestions to fuck

8 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

That's where we are. 

Lennon interim. 

Wouldn't even hate it. 

There's not a chance in hell Lennon would come in as an interim manager. The fucker is a multi-millionaire  and has no need to ever work again, far less uproot himself and his family to Aberdeen for a job which, even if we offered him a 3 year contract, he might well view as more problematic than it's worth.

I actually think he's eyeing up the Republic of Ireland job.......Stephen Kenny the current incumbent has hardly covered himself in glory and Lennon is a far bigger "name" when they inevitably decide Kenny's race is run. 

3 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Take up my charitable offer then

I'm not saying we're getting relegated for sure. I'm saying it's foolhardy to think we won't, based on nothing other than the perception you have of our club. 

The squad isn't good, we're 2 points off second bottom. It's reasonable folk are shitting themselves. 

3 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

There's not a chance in hell Lennon would come in as an interim manager. The fucker is a multi-millionaire  and has no need to ever work again, far less uproot himself and his family to Aberdeen for a job which, even if we offered him a 3 year contract, he might well view as more problematic than it's worth.

I actually think he's eyeing up the Republic of Ireland job.......Stephen Kenny the current incumbent has hardly covered himself in glory and Lennon is a far bigger "name" when they inevitably decide Kenny's race is run. 

I didn't say it would happen. Saying I wouldn't mind it. 

He definitely would take it with both hands if offered, he was moaning the other week that he couldn't get a look in anywhere despite his CV. He's looking to work. 

On an interim basis he wouldn't have to uproot anyone, he'd have temporary accommodation and we live in a tiny country, so hardly like he couldn't see his family. 

8 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I'm not saying we're getting relegated for sure. I'm saying it's foolhardy to think we won't, based on nothing other than the perception you have of our club. 

The squad isn't good, we're 2 points off second bottom. It's reasonable folk are shitting themselves. 

Do you think we will get relegated?

Although its a possibility, I don't. I have confidence that our team is better than the 4 teams currently below us and that its extremely unlikely that we will be surpassed by all of them. In fact, I think we are better than some teams above us as well.

Wednesday's a big game in so far as a result either way could be pivotal and hopefully is the start of a very good run in December

10 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Yip, agree. 

It’s not our job to come up with names but I’m struggling to think of a list of candidates.

Alex Neill stands out but I doubt he’d be interested. 

All moot anyway as Glass will be here for a while yet I think. 

What's alternative for Alex Neil though? He's missed out on a lot of jobs in England. I think he'd take our job if it was available. He seems the obvious choice but maybe he doesn't fancy our recruitment strategy?

15 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I didn't say it would happen. Saying I wouldn't mind it. 

He definitely would take it with both hands if offered, he was moaning the other week that he couldn't get a look in anywhere despite his CV. He's looking to work. 

On an interim basis he wouldn't have to uproot anyone, he'd have temporary accommodation and we live in a tiny country, so hardly like he couldn't see his family. 

I genuinely believe Lennon would take the job even on an interim basis, and I also genuinely believe he would steady what appears to be a sinking ship. Glass does not have what it takes to turn this around, he is well and truly out of his depth and we need to change it now. Lennon is not the long term solution but he can be a short term fix, win / win situation for him and the dons, he gets to put himself back in the managerial shop window by turning our fortunes around, and board and our egomaniac chairman can leave him to run the day to stuff of football team and the matches while they set about getting the right man in the door for the long term.

win / win 

12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Yip, agree. 

It’s not our job to come up with names but I’m struggling to think of a list of candidates.

Alex Neill stands out but I doubt he’d be interested. 

All moot anyway as Glass will be here for a while yet I think. 

I agree Neil probably wouldn't be interested and he'd want wages of Mcinnes levels....but you don't get if you  don't ask. He can only say no.

Purely guesswork but I'd expect Scott Brown to be interviewed no matter what.

Calum Davidson probably the outstanding viable candidate. 

John Robertson doing well with Caley........if we went down the interim manager route he's the one I think most likely to accept it with a view to getting it full time if he did well. Suspect it wouldn't go down too well with the support though.

And a random name from either the lower English leagues or abroad

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I agree Neil probably wouldn't be interested and he'd want wages of Mcinnes levels....but you don't get if you  don't ask. He can only say no.

John Robertson doing well with Caley........if we went down the interim manager route he's the one I think most likely to accept it with a view to getting it full time if he did well. Suspect it wouldn't go down too well with the support though.

John Robertson isn't the manager at Caley so that would be a weird one.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Why has so many opportunities passed him by down south?

You have no evidence for that...

His stock is high enough that he can afford  to wait for now to see what comes up. He has no need at this point to risk his reputation at EFL2 shite. So I doubt very much when that type of job comes up he that he emails their Chairmen his CV. For the time being anyway. 

Obviously the English Championship is where he wants to be.....Sheffield United appointed Heckingarse who bombed spectacularly at Hibs so he should be reasonably confident that he'll get there sooner or later. But a big EFL1 club....Ipswich, Portsmouth, Sunderland etc will definitely be on his radar. 

We are certainly a big enough club that he'd at least give us a hearing and although he's stated he wants to stay in England for now, I don't think he'd dismiss us out of hand. As I said earlier, he can only say no if we offered him the post.

7 minutes ago, Getdoonatwing said:

See from the EE the record of having an academy graduate in every starting line-up for 74 years and 3483 games ended against Celtic

That was some record, now gone.....

Man Utd had surpassed us until very recently and now they continue to measure the "youth player in the 1st team game squad"

Think come people pointed out some Basque teams will blow us out of the water as well.

Injuries this year, no doubt played a part (Considine, Ramsay, McKenzie, McLennon), meaning only Campbell was the available choice to keep the run going.

8 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

His stock is high enough that he can afford  to wait for now to see what comes up. He has no need at this point to risk his reputation at EFL2 shite. So I doubt very much when that type of job comes up he that he emails their Chairmen his CV. For the time being anyway. 

Obviously the English Championship is where he wants to be.....Sheffield United appointed Heckingarse who bombed spectacularly at Hibs so he should be reasonably confident that he'll get there sooner or later. But a big EFL1 club....Ipswich, Portsmouth, Sunderland etc will definitely be on his radar. 

We are certainly a big enough club that he'd at least give us a hearing and although he's stated he wants to stay in England for now, I don't think he'd dismiss us out of hand. As I said earlier, he can only say no if we offered him the post.

Absolutely plenty of evidence for it and I posted before that there had been 7 or 8 decent opportunities that he wasn't considered for / he didn't apply.

There's been more opportunities since.

Times ticking and the longer he takes, the further down he's likely to need to look

See below, that's from 6 weeks ago and there's been more managerial merry-go-round since

On 10/15/2021 at 11:32 PM, afc1903mad said:

Since Alex Neil was relieved of his duties at Preston, the following teams have replaced their manager:-

Premiership

1. Watford
  2. Crystal Palace
  3. Everton
  4. Tottenham
  5. Wolves

Championship

1. Nottingham Forrest
  2. Swansea City
  3. Fulham
  4. Barnsley
  5. Bournemouth
  6. West Brom
  7. Sheffield Utd

League One

1. Milton Keynes Dons
  2. Morcombe
  3. Doncaster Rovers

League Two

11 teams in League Two have replaced their managers but accept Neil may have rejected approach from this level as he kept his options open

Scottish Teams in top two leagues

1. Celtic
  2. Dundee Utd
  3. Ross County
  4. ICT
  5. Dunfermline
  6. Ayr
  7. Hamilton

33 teams have changed their manager, so wondering what job is going to come up that he’s going to be in the frame for.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

John Robertson??? Seriously?

9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Absolutely plenty of evidence for it and I posted before that there had been 7 or 8 decent opportunities that he wasn't considered for / he didn't apply.

There's been more opportunities since.

Times ticking and the longer he takes, the further down he's likely to need to look

See below, that's from 6 weeks ago and there's been more managerial merry-go-round since

Ok we can rule out the EPL.......he's not getting a job there. 

Championship....as I've said this is where he wants to be. He would certainly have emailed his CV in the minute those jobs became available. But it's a bit of a cut-throat business....there are plenty managers of a similar level to Neil competing for those jobs when they arise and it's still only 8 months since he was bulleted by Preston. He might have to wait a while yet....and at that level teams often have a new manager lined up prior to chopping the incumbent anyway

EFL1...of the teams you mention, I'd only think MK Dons might have been of interest. But probably not

EFL2.......will only become of interest to him if he's out the game for 2 years or longer

Scotland.......Only Celtic of definite immediate interest. Ourselves and the Edinburgh clubs possibly but we;'d need to pay top dollar and provide a decent playing budget. For now, everyone else can be ruled out, again if he's out the game longer than 2 years then they'd become an option. But certainly not Championship sides.

28 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Updated

On 10/15/2021 at 11:32 PM, afc1903mad said:

Since Alex Neil was relieved of his duties at Preston, the following teams have replaced their manager:-

Premiership

1. Watford
  2. Crystal Palace
  3. Everton
  4. Tottenham
  5. Wolves
  6. Norwich
  7. Aston Villa
  8. Newcastle
  9. Man Utd

Championship

1. Nottingham Forrest
  2. Swansea City
  3. Fulham
  4. Barnsley
  5. Bournemouth
  6. West Brom
  7. Sheffield Utd
  8. Cardiff City
  9. Middlesbrough

League One

1. Milton Keynes Dons
  2. Morcombe
  3. Doncaster Rovers
  4. Fleetwood Town
  5. Charlton Athletic

League Two

16 teams in League Two have replaced their managers but accept Neil may have rejected approach from this level as he kept his options open

Scottish Teams in top two leagues

1. Celtic
  2. Dundee Utd
  3. Ross County
  4. ICT
  5. Dunfermline, twice
  6. Ayr
  7. Hamilton
  8. SevCo

47 teams have changed their manager, so wondering what job is going to come up that he’s going to be in the frame for.

10 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Ok we can rule out the EPL.......he's not getting a job there. 

Championship....as I've said this is where he wants to be. He would certainly have emailed his CV in the minute those jobs became available. But it's a bit of a cut-throat business....there are plenty managers of a similar level to Neil competing for those jobs when they arise and it's still only 8 months since he was bulleted by Preston. He might have to wait a while yet....and at that level teams often have a new manager lined up prior to chopping the incumbent anyway

EFL1...of the teams you mention, I'd only think MK Dons might have been of interest. But probably not

EFL2.......will only become of interest to him if he's out the game for 2 years or longer

Scotland.......Only Celtic of definite immediate interest. Ourselves and the Edinburgh clubs possibly but we;'d need to pay top dollar and provide a decent playing budget. For now, everyone else can be ruled out, again if he's out the game longer than 2 years then they'd become an option. But certainly not Championship sides.

You say the Championship is where he will be targetting, but there have been 9 teams (37.5%). You can rule out the teams that are being successful so the options are diminishing. Maybe a Derby, Peterborough, Hull or Reading, but definitely now looking for the bottom end of the championship, at best

Championship teams changed managers

1. Nottingham Forrest
  2. Swansea City
  3. Fulham
  4. Barnsley
  5. Bournemouth
  6. West Brom
  7. Sheffield Utd
  8. Cardiff City
  9. Middlesbrough