Stephen Glass: What do we do?   

292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

I've not checked recently but a couple of seasons back, Hibs were operating on a budget about 70% of ours and Hearts had closed the gap so much to the point where it was then pretty much negligible.

Both are pulling in average crowds of 2.5 - 3k bigger than we are but our off field income negates that difference comfortably. Hearts do have the Foundation of Hearts initiative which has left them as now the biggest fan owned club in the UK and is bringing in cash every year that dwarves our DNA initiative.

So it’s not that much of a difference to make it a significant thing but if we could get the same season tickets sold as them and push more dna it would. 

7 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think we traditionally do better from corporate, sponsorship and merchandise which means our turnover is more than theirs? 

I haven't looked at this years figures but our wage bill was going up significantly over the previous 3 years.  Year on year. 

I looked recently and the accounts are skewed because of COVID.

Our turnover was still higher than Hearts, but as was our expenses. With the insurance payment we pretty much broke even.

Hearts actually made a £2M profit, despite the lower turnover, but that was on account of an additional donation out with the FoH

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

Our turnover was still higher than Hearts, but as was our expenses. With the insurance payment we pretty much broke even.

Hearts actually made a £2M profit, despite the lower turnover, but that was on account of an additional donation out with the FoH

I think Hearts turned a profit due to the donations of their silent partners? 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Why would you delve into the accounts of Aberdeen FC…..are you always this nosey?  :nono:

You done it with Hearts also….you definitely have a want about you.

2 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

Why would you delve into the accounts of Aberdeen FC…..are you always this nosey?  :nono:

You done it with Hearts also….you definitely have a want about you.

Intelligent people tend to look at the accounts of companies they have an interest in or invest in. No need for you to concern yourself with it.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, ferlaytio said:

Intelligent people tend to look at the accounts of companies they have an interest in or invest in. No need for you to concern yourself with it.

Not another nosey bugger. If I have upset your partner afc1903mad then I understand your butting into our conversation. Are you in the Teddy Jenks fan club? 

Should never have been given the job - reaping what we sow.

Sooner he's gone the sooner AFC can start looking forward again. Cormack has sold the fans a pipedream and sadly taken away my couple of European trips in July August.

Both chairman and manager talk a good game, both appear incapable of backing up what they preach - Glass should have been shoved or asked to step aside after Dundee away and AFC would have still had a chance of chasing Europe. Sadly I firmly believe that's gone.

6 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Should never have been given the job - reaping what we sow.

Sooner he's gone the sooner AFC can start looking forward again. Cormack has sold the fans a pipedream and sadly taken away my couple of European trips in July August.

Both chairman and manager talk a good game, both appear incapable of backing up what they preach - Glass should have been shoved or asked to step aside after Dundee away and AFC would have still had a chance of chasing Europe. Sadly I firmly believe that's gone.

Agree with some of that, but Europe isn’t gone yet

4th, maybe even 5th may be enough. 

We actually have a pretty solid core of players.

Glass came out and said he wouldn't be signing shirt fillers in one of his first interviews, so if he can dump the fringe shite and ageing players... decide for yourselves who those players are... and bring in a few quality players to fill in the gaps in January, particularly two wide guys and a forward, then I'd be confident of gaining way more traction in the league after New Year. 

Hopefully Mowbray earns his money in the next 30-something days. 

2 hours ago, Ke1t said:

We actually have a pretty solid core of players.

Glass came out and said he wouldn't be signing shirt fillers in one of his first interviews, so if he can dump the fringe shite and ageing players... decide for yourselves who those players are... and bring in a few quality players to fill in the gaps in January, particularly two wide guys and a forward, then I'd be confident of gaining way more traction in the league after New Year. 

Hopefully Mowbray earns his money in the next 30-something days. 

The weird thing is glass did say that and so did Cormack. They then flooded the squad with fringe players. Truly bizarre. 

It will be difficult to unload the shite we've accumulated. Players like jet aren't getting offers. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, RUL said:

The weird thing is glass did say that and so did Cormack. They then flooded the squad with fringe players. Truly bizarre. 

It will be difficult to unload the shite we've accumulated. Players like jet aren't getting offers. 

They did indeed... "No more shite for AFC" they promised. And I reckon they genuinely meant it. 

But It seems Glass and Cormack massively underestimated the standards required for the SPFL, even as low as those standards are.

Glass is a fairly clever guy, I'm sure he's learning on the job. 

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

They did indeed... "No more shite for AFC" they promised. And I reckon they genuinely meant it. 

But It seems Glass and Cormack massively underestimated the standards required for the SPFL, even as low as those standards are.

Can't see any evidence of learning present. He's a reactive manager...who reacts too late. Might be a useful assistant to somebody... just not with us.

6 hours ago, Ke1t said:

On what exactly are you basing this on? Or are you just assuming this & giving him credit where it hasn’t been earned?

I wouldn’t say he was any cleverer than any former pro players. Other than not being a hun, how would you say for example that he is cleverer than the likes of Kris Boyd or others of his ilk? Because he’s got his coaching badges? ? plenty proper idiots have gotten them 

2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

On what exactly are you basing this on? Or are you just assuming this & giving him credit where it hasn’t been earned?

I wouldn’t say he was any cleverer than any former pro players. Other than not being a hun, how would you say for example that he is cleverer than the likes of Kris Boyd or others of his ilk? Because he’s got his coaching badges? ? plenty proper idiots have gotten them 

I think if you listen to his interviews it's a fair assessment. Kelt isn't saying he's a good manager. 

When I have listened to glass after hibs and yesterday, his frustration is the same as ours. He articulates it really well. 

My concern is he can see it but why isn't it working? Why are we back to mcinnes like form. We are simply dragging out wins but I thought we were moving to a more expansive attacking game but I'm not seeing any evidence of it. 

2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

He's a very intelligent guy.

1. He said no more squad fillers - we've got heaps of crap filling the bench and not even getting on the bench, and a few of them seeping into the starting 11 most weeks.

2. He said attacking exciting football - we're almost as bad to watch now as we were under McInnes latterly.

3. He said he'd instil a winning mentality - we still look like we've got a load of losers in the team. Even yesterday on the commentary McGeouch is talking about players "doing well" when they've completely messed things up, and talking about hanging on for a 2-1 win over a depleted Dundee team as being some great success. 

If it looked like we were building towards all of the above, or heading in the right direction towards these goals, you could say "it's a transition year" and we'll kick on further next season - but personally I see no real progress in any of these 3 areas.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, MightyDons said:

I don't think we are a million miles away, but we need 2/3 exceptional attacking players to turn the tide. Whether we have the funds to succeed in attracting these players I'm not sure. At the moment teams know if they keep things tight, we are vulnerable.

I'd say we're about 2 million miles away. We're more than likely going to lose Hedges, Ferguson and Ramsay at some point over the next 6 months. Take their goals and assists out of the team and we're about 3 million miles away. I can't see us even finding a replacement of similar quality for Hedges, never mind improve the team by adding more quality better than him. We're bringing in guys like Watkins who plays well one week, is anonymous the next, and is injured the week after. 

40 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I'd say we're about 2 million miles away. We're more than likely going to lose Hedges, Ferguson and Ramsay at some point over the next 6 months. Take their goals and assists out of the team and we're about 3 million miles away. I can't see us even finding a replacement of similar quality for Hedges, never mind improve the team by adding more quality better than him. We're bringing in guys like Watkins who plays well one week, is anonymous the next, and is injured the week after

Youve just described hedges there as well

• Upvote 1

That comeback yesterday is what we missed for the first ten games of the season, credit where credit is due for Glass, 4 wins out of 5 going into the break before the Huns match and ending the calendar year on a high, it's been a great December and some people are so down on Stephen it is disappointing.  The process is going well as far as I am concerned.

• Haha 1