Stephen Glass: What do we do?   

292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

1 hour ago, RUL said:

I think if you listen to his interviews it's a fair assessment. Kelt isn't saying he's a good manager. 

When I have listened to glass after hibs and yesterday, his frustration is the same as ours. He articulates it really well. 

My concern is he can see it but why isn’t it working? Why are we back to mcinnes like form. We are simply dragging out wins but I thought we were moving to a more expansive attacking game but I'm not seeing any evidence of it. 

Quite simple really. Because the players aren’t good enough to play a more expansive attacking game. 

Too many of our players can’t be relied on to consistent do the basics to a high standard.  Hayes , for instance , is still an important player for our attacks. But his passing is very poor. He’s pretty much given up the ghost when it comes to actually taking on an opponent so he usually has to pass , and more often than not he doesn’t find a teammate.

Unfair to single him out as the rest are equally unreliable. 

We actually get in to quite a lot of good positions but don’t capitalise because none of our players seem capable of putting an early ball into the box. Too often they want to take tee the ball up absolutely perfectly for themselves before attempting a cross. 

At least though we’ve become good enough to grind out results. Mainly because defensively we have improved considerably in the last couple of months. And Joe Lewis has got back to a decent standard, although I don’t think he looked too clever for Griffiths’ goal yesterday.

17 minutes ago, Alex Ferguson said:

That comeback yesterday is what we missed for the first ten games of the season, credit where credit is due for Glass, 4 wins out of 5 going into the break before the Huns match and ending the calendar year on a high, it's been a great December and some people are so down on Stephen it is disappointing.  The process is going well as far as I am concerned.

Yes, we came back from a goal down. Good, obviously. 

It helped when we were playing a team with essentially no subs & a starting X1 with 3 players in it (McPake’s words) who aren’t fit and probably shouldn’t have started. 
Dundee were breathing out their hoop after 60 minutes. 

And you think the process is going well when we are 6th just over halfway through the season?

You’re easy pleased.

• Upvote 1

4 wins out of 5 is about par for the course IYAM. I reckon we're a better side than 80% of the sides in the league - the results being generally shite to date has been the problem.

On the positive side, the weekly comedy show defending seems to be a thing of the past. On the negative side, we're now fannying aboot with the ball for ages without really threatening to score - very laboured going forward.

The best McInnes sides were very difficult to beat and direct as fuck on the break with McGinn / Hayes bombing forward and Rooney reliably scoring. Affa difficult to replace those 3 at their prime on a budget

2 hours ago, RUL said:

I think if you listen to his interviews it's a fair assessment. Kelt isn't saying he's a good manager. 

When I have listened to glass after hibs and yesterday, his frustration is the same as ours. He articulates it really well. 

My concern is he can see it but why isn't it working? Why are we back to mcinnes like form. We are simply dragging out wins but I thought we were moving to a more expansive attacking game but I'm not seeing any evidence of it. 

Mcinnes had the gift of the glezga gab and touring India only. 

4 hours ago, MightyDons said:

I don't think we are a million miles away, but we need 2/3 exceptional attacking players to turn the tide. Whether we have the funds to succeed in attracting these players I'm not sure. At the moment teams know if they keep things tight, we are vulnerable.

Very true. Our focus this transfer window should be on getting in proper attacking players who can score goals frequently.

4 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

We're more than likely going to lose Hedges, Ferguson and Ramsay at some point over the next 6 months. Take their goals and assists out of the team and we're about 3 million miles away.

Out of all the games in the season Hedges is probably match fit and on good form for about 20%. He's one of our best players on his day but don't think he's as big a loss as we think. 

Ferguson like wise, he's a solid player with great great potential but a lot of that is still potential, his shots to goals ratio must be shite, although he is great in the air. He misses a few games every season due to pointless yellow cards too. I do think we will miss his fight if we can't replace him with someone of similar drive, if we can replace him with McGrath it's not the end of the world. Or even move McCrorie into the middle again, although I do like him at the back. 

Any team in the SPL would miss Ramsey, hopefully we can get a decent fee to reinvest, and possibly loaned back for a season as a bonus. 

5 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Yes, we came back from a goal down. Good, obviously. 

It helped when we were playing a team with essentially no subs & a starting X1 with 3 players in it (McPake’s words) who aren’t fit and probably shouldn’t have started. 
Dundee were breathing out their hoop after 60 minutes. 

And you think the process is going well when we are 6th just over halfway through the season?

You’re easy pleased.

Nope, I pointed out the comeback is what we missed in the first few weeks of the season and that Dundee team was almost their full strength team.

A wins a win and our character was on display.  4/5 wins, past couple of months has been ok, if we had a good September/October we could have been winning the league. 

6th isn't good but after the first round of fixtures relegation was a worry, so it is a turn around, if we can continue to turn things around we can do amazing things under Glass.  

And also I was gutted to see McInnes go so... I'm glad Glass looks to be getting things right

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Alex Ferguson said:

That comeback yesterday is what we missed for the first ten games of the season, credit where credit is due for Glass, 4 wins out of 5 going into the break before the Huns match and ending the calendar year on a high, it's been a great December and some people are so down on Stephen it is disappointing.  The process is going well as far as I am concerned.

What aspect of it is going well though I'm of the view you're probably trolling. Would it be our 6th place position in the league? Or that we were only ousted from the league cup by Raith Rovers? Or that the football is on the whole dire to watch? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The football is pretty bad on the eye, we fuck about at the back too much for my liking, I'm no convinced by bates yet, whether he's still no 100% I don't know, but a 100% bates still doesn't fill me with confidence. 

I feel sorry for ramirez,  he spends most of the game with his back to goal, absolutely no service. We know he can score, but you have to supply him. We spend more time passing the ball back the way. 

We are badly missing an attacking no10 in the team.

There are too many passengers & mercs in our team/squad who need shown the door as the club are paying them stupid money for fuck all. 

Release these guys & free up wages for better if possible. 

Hedges is away, no matter what we have offered it will be nowhere near what a English championship club will offer him.

I think it will be interesting to see if DC throws any scraps of cash to Glass unless we sell first, DC wants 15k season ticket holders, guys in cuckoo land, fans have to be excited & buy into it, I see nothing in pre season that did that at all.

Let's just play for 3rd place every season & maybe a cup semi or final now & again. That's the aspirations of DC & many others.

32 minutes ago, Alex Ferguson said:

Nope, I pointed out the comeback is what we missed in the first few weeks of the season and that Dundee team was almost their full strength team.

A wins a win and our character was on display.  4/5 wins, past couple of months has been ok, if we had a good September/October we could have been winning the league. 

6th isn't good but after the first round of fixtures relegation was a worry, so it is a turn around, if we can continue to turn things around we can do amazing things under Glass.  

And also I was gutted to see McInnes go so... I'm glad Glass looks to be getting things right

You must be trolling…

”if we had a good Sept/Oct we could have been winning the league”….  ?

“I’m glad Glass look to be getting things right”…Such as?

League position? No

Giving youngsters a chance? No. Squad is older under him. 

Producing ”exciting football, the Aberdeen way”? That was the Cormack bluster when Glass was appointed…  No, there’s been very little of that in his 9 months in charge.

So what has progressed exactly? 

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Alex Ferguson said:

What part is he getting right? 

The fact that it took him about 10 games to realise that two high pressing wing backs in a back four doesn't work should have been setting off alarm bells from day one.

There has been absolutely no improvement in the play or style of play. It's eye bleeding stuff week in week out. His signings have been horrific and I absolutely dread Brown hanging up his boots as that team minus Brown would be in the same position as St Johnstone. His influence can't be underestimated and make no mistake about it he's carried that shit show every week.

For the life of me I can't see what Ojo brings to that side yet is a constant permanent. 

As for "character" same character as was at Hibs where an utterly dreadful Hibs side still managed to beat us? As for Dundee being at full strength - dream on. 

Cormack and Glass at half way stage have a 2/10 rating - bullshit and bluster gets them 10/10 right enough.

10 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Things are totally different now than in McInnes' final few months. 

Glass doesn't have a beard. 

Yip.

We’ll tread water this season, finish 5th or 6th & we’ll be having this debate in 5-6 months time. 

Finishing 5th or 6th should be a sackable offence, but Cormack’s ego will mean his project will survive so he can save face. 

58 minutes ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

The football is pretty bad on the eye, we fuck about at the back too much for my liking, I'm no convinced by bates yet, whether he's still no 100% I don't know, but a 100% bates still doesn't fill me with confidence. 

I feel sorry for ramirez,  he spends most of the game with his back to goal, absolutely no service. We know he can score, but you have to supply him. We spend more time passing the ball back the way. 

We are badly missing an attacking no10 in the team.

There are too many passengers & mercs in our team/squad who need shown the door as the club are paying them stupid money for fuck all. 

Release these guys & free up wages for better if possible. 

Hedges is away, no matter what we have offered it will be nowhere near what a English championship club will offer him.

I think it will be interesting to see if DC throws any scraps of cash to Glass unless we sell first, DC wants 15k season ticket holders, guys in cuckoo land, fans have to be excited & buy into it, I see nothing in pre season that did that at all.

Let's just play for 3rd place every season & maybe a cup semi or final now & again. That's the aspirations of DC & many others.

Need to pay these guys off…so not as simple as just saying bubye

36 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

On the upside he's got another window in a few days and then a couple of weeks to get the team improved before we play again. 

And he's won 4 out of 5 which can't be sniffed at. 

I'd like to think/hope he's learned from the summer window.

Using 4 out of 5 makes things look good…

hows 8 out of 20 sound ? as good?  Or 13 from 34…

28 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Need to pay these guys off…so not as simple as just saying bubye

What if, just thinking out loud here, but what if the club arranged a night out on New Year for all the fringe players, just to say thank you, but the night out was in, let's say Glasgow, and they had to take a coach there.... and let's say, just as a thought exercise... there was a terrible accident and they all got ... not killed... but injured to the point where they couldn't fulfill their contracts. 

Would they still need to be paid off, or could their contracts be torn up? 

I mean, god forbid anything like that happened in real life, but what if it did? 

4 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

What if, just thinking out loud here, but what if the club arranged a night out on New Year for all the fringe players, just to say thank you, but the night out was in, let's say Glasgow, and they had to take a coach there.... and let's say, just as a thought exercise... there was a terrible accident and they all got ... not killed... but injured to the point where they couldn't fulfill their contracts. 

I mean, god forbid anything like that happened in real life, but what if it did? 

Ask f and d to drive the bus. 

Sorted 

11 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Insurance job…I like it ?

13 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

So many folk clinging to this 4 out of 5 shite. Find the best amount of games with win ratio & keep repeating it.

We’re on a fkn 2 out of 5 win rate for a the season in league 

scraping a win v a depleted Dundee & folk think we’re on the mend ?

Imagine basing current thoughts on latest form. Preposterous 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

So many folk clinging to this 4 out of 5 shite. Find the best amount of games with win ratio & keep repeating it.

We’re on a fkn 2 out of 5 win rate for a the season in league 

As much as I don’t think he’s up to it, we’re hardly going to sack him after 4 wins out of 5, are we? 

15 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

The Dundee first 11 was still a pretty decent Dundee first 11.

ok, they had no options from the bench.

How did Celtic cope against a depleted St Mirren?

we won FFS, let’s not make the next 3 weeks a negative borefest

• Upvote 1