Stephen Glass: What should we do?

Stephen Glass: What do we do?   

292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

It certainly wasn't unusual for fans to be calling for the head of a new rookie manager who had gone 10 games without a win and lost 5 in a row. It was the worst run of results they club has had in over 10 years.

You have to be impressed with Glass though over the last week or so and how he has managed to get much improved performances out of the players in 3 very difficult back to back games. Most were rightly very critical of Glass during that horrendous run so it's only fair we praise him now for the response in the last 3 games. He needs to keep it going though we have a squad that, whilst unbalanced, is better than our current league position suggests. Fair play to Glass though he knew if he lost the last 3 games the writing was pretty much on the wall. He has shown impressive resilience over the last week or so. I really want Glass to do well I was just never convinced he was the right man in the first place. I would love nothing more than for him and Cormack to prove me wrong. 

3 hours ago, Shinniesta said:

It certainly wasn't unusual for fans to be calling for the head of a new rookie manager who had gone 10 games without a win and lost 5 in a row. It was the worst run of results they club has had in over 10 years.

You have to be impressed with Glass though over the last week or so and how he has managed to get much improved performances out of the players in 3 very difficult back to back games. Most were rightly very critical of Glass during that horrendous run so it's only fair we praise him now for the response in the last 3 games. He needs to keep it going though we have a squad that, whilst unbalanced, is better than our current league position suggests. Fair play to Glass though he knew if he lost the last 3 games the writing was pretty much on the wall. He has shown impressive resilience over the last week or so. I really want Glass to do well I was just never convinced he was the right man in the first place. I would love nothing more than for him and Cormack to prove me wrong. 

I don't think fans understand the vision or the nature of the changes we have made. This is not a traditional model for Scottish football.

3 hours ago, super_al said:

I don't think fans understand the vision or the nature of the changes we have made. This is not a traditional model for Scottish football.

Regardless of the model going 10 games without a win the quality of players we had at our disposal was always going to put massive pressure on a new rookie manager. People remember that Hearts tried a new model with Cathro that went spectacularly wrong. 

I'm happy for Glass that he has answered his critics in the last 3 games let's hope he can keep it going in the coming fixtures. I really hope we have turned a corner and find some consistency.

12 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

McGinn, Kennedy, Devlin, Jenks, McLennan are all players we could comfortably do without.

And as you say, any of Ramsay, Hedges or Ferguson could be sold. That obviously has a big effect as we’d have potentially a few million in the bank to play with. 

I would add jet to the list. And Ojo. And Gurr. And Gallagher tbh.

21 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

McGinn, Kennedy, Devlin, Jenks, McLennan are all players we could comfortably do without.

And as you say, any of Ramsay, Hedges or Ferguson could be sold. That obviously has a big effect as we’d have potentially a few million in the bank to play with. 

Apparently Blackburn are returning to make an offer for Hedges in January. don't think its worth selling him.

I'd guess £1M would have to be the minimum and then use part of the funds to get a replacement (McGrath?) 

6 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Apparently Blackburn are returning to make an offer for Hedges in January. don't think its worth selling him.

I'd guess £1M would have to be the minimum and then use part of the funds to get a replacement (McGrath?) 

They will sign him on a pre-contract & we will have to decide between keeping him or accepting about £250k to let them take him earlier 

11 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

£1m?
Not a chance we’d close close to that. 

They bid a fraction of that in the summer.

No way anyone will pay close to that when he can sign a Bosman in two months time. 

43 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

They will sign him on a pre-contract & we will have to decide between keeping him or accepting about £250k to let them take him earlier 

35 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

£1m?
Not a chance we’d close close to that. 

They bid a fraction of that in the summer.

No way anyone will pay close to that when he can sign a Bosman in two months time. 

Then we don't sell him then. We signed for nothing and if he goes for nothing then so be it.

If we were to sell in the winter, then we have to recruit a suitable replacement AND have the disruption to our squad to get the new player up to speed.

£500k may cover the replacement, but then nothing for the turmoil.

Maybe £750k would be accepted and surely if a championship club is interested, that is not an unsurmountable amount.

what was it we sold McLean for and he was loaned back for the 6 months? That might be an option, £500k and loaned back for the remainder of the season

55 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Then we don't sell him then. We signed for nothing and if he goes for nothing then so be it.

If we were to sell in the winter, then we have to recruit a suitable replacement AND have the disruption to our squad to get the new player up to speed.

Maybe £750k would be accepted and surely if a championship club is interested, that is not an unsurmountable amount.

what was it we sold McLean for and he was loaned back for the 6 months? That might be an option, £500k and loaned back for the remainder of the season

McLean was £200k. Criminally under rated by Aberdeen fans but more importantly by other clubs.

Seasons under McInnes without McLean.... 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th. Seasons under McInnes with McLean in the team, 2nd 2nd 2nd 2nd.

Hedges will likely sign a pre-contract in January and head back down south in the summer - it wouldn't be worth selling him for a couple hundred grand as it's unlikely we'll be able to get a replacement in for that. I can't see anyone offering any more than that for him when they can get him for nothing in the summer.

Ramsay is an interesting one too, as we really have no idea what kind of bids might come in for him. Is he potentially worth more than £5m? Absolutely. Would we knock back a £5m bid? I doubt it. 

Ferguson, as others have said, I'm not too bothered about - if we sell him for £2-3m that'll be decent business and I'm not sure it'll significantly weaken the team. 

I think we need to make an effort to shift some of the deadwood in the squad who aren't really contributing anything - guys like Devlin, McLennan, McGinn, Gurr, Kennedy aren't really offering anything - I'd also punt Ojo and send all of the loanees home, and wouldn't be bothered if we punted JET as well. 

2 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Seeing as they were only offering 500k last year, do you think they'll be up for paying that or more, when he's out of contract a couple of months later? 

3 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Seeing as they were only offering 500k last year, do you think they'll be up for paying that or more, when he's out of contract a couple of months later? 

Of course they won't. 

It's almost as daft as the notion that we can sell all our players in January but loan them all back til summer. 

Football manager stuff 

7 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

£500k was not enough last year, do you think it is enough this year?

It'll depend how much they want to secure or risk of other / better offers coming in on a pre-contract

Just now, afc1903mad said:

£500k was not enough last year, do you think it is enough this year?

It'll depend how much they want to secure or risk of other / better offers coming in

No.  You've got it upside down. 

Because he'll do the pre-contract with the new club first.  And that's when other clubs might also offer him a pre contract.  He's nae an under 23 player so youth compensation isn't a factor. 

Dealing with us is an after thought once that's been done. 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No.  You've got it upside down. 

Because he'll do the pre-contract with the new club first.  And that's when other clubs might also offer him a pre contract.  He's nae an under 23 player so youth compensation isn't a factor. 

Dealing with us is an after thought once that's been done. 

That's if he were to move on in the summer.

They need to pay a fee to secure in January

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No but in this scenario 99.9% of players will sign a pre contract with the new club first 

Determined Blackburn Rovers, who had a six-figure offer rejected in the summer, will make a renewed approach to sign Aberdeen midfielder Ryan Hedges in January, with the 26-year-old Wales international out of contract at the end of this season. (Daily Record)

Discussion was the fee to accept to sell in January.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Discussion was the fee to accept to sell in January.

Yeah but in January he'll be in a position to sign a pre contract which wasn't the case in August. 

Which he would most likely do. 

So if he does that then there's no reason for Blackburn to outbid any other party because he's already agreed to sign for them. 

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah but in January he'll be in a position to sign a pre contract which wasn't the case in August. 

Which he would most likely do. 

So if he does that then there's no reason for Blackburn to outbid any other party because he's already agreed to sign for them. 

IF he signs a pre-contract, its irrelevant to what our valuation is to lose the player in January.

There's apparently also interest from Middlesborough and Cardiff, so Blackburn might not be the sole bidder for any pre-contract agreement